How do I rip the best quality files for my Dap
Sep 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ErikV55

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. So I want to start ripping my cd's to .flac etc. Is it as simple as downloading one of the many ripping softwares and ripping to a hi res file? Or is the file from the cd not a hi res enough source and must I go through one of the many websites that provide hi res files? Thanks.

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 10
You will not get from a CD any better quality than is recorded on it, no matter how hi res you're going to go. Ripping software can provide you with copies sounding exactly the same as the original CD, but not better.

The standard "red book" CD has 16 bit depth and 44100 Hz sampling rate, and at least in theory this is sufficient to cover the range of human hearing. Higher resolution audio may sometimes sound better, but this is usually due to different mastering process rather than the resolution. 

Regarding the rippoing software: I have been using free EAC and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Hey all. So I want to start ripping my cd's to .flac etc. Is it as simple as downloading one of the many ripping softwares and ripping to a hi res file? Or is the file from the cd not a hi res enough source and must I go through one of the many websites that provide hi res files? Thanks.

Wave Lab audio software permits converting audio files to a bit rate and sample rate beyond 16 / 44.1KHz (CD quality). They have featured called dithering that smooths recorded audio waves permiting enhanced resolution without loss. Only caveat is their tech support is poor. Another approach is to use audio hardware to enhance and rip audio, converting to higher res digital file. My set up runs low res computer audio through a PD XM6 DAC with audio out to Mackie ProFX12 Mixer with analog & graphic EQ to improve audio, then audio out to a ZOOM H2n digital recorder which records files roughly 50% higher resolution than CD. The digital files are then transferred by SD card or cable, back to the computer. Results IMHO have exceeded the software approach.

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 10
  You will not get from a CD any better quality than is recorded on it, no matter how hi res you're going to go. Ripping software can provide you with copies sounding exactly the same as the original CD, but not better.

The standard "red book" CD has 16 bit depth and 44100 Hz sampling rate, and at least in theory this is sufficient to cover the range of human hearing. Higher resolution audio may sometimes sound better, but this is usually due to different mastering process rather than the resolution. 

Regarding the rippoing software: I have been using free EAC and would not hesitate to recommend it.

This is the right answer.

I have used EAC, though now use dBpoweramp.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 10

Technically CD quality is not high rez - 24bit audio is. Just saying. Otherwise, nowadays I use xrecode II for everything but dBpoweramp would be my next choice.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 10

Thank you for your reply! This helps a lot.

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 10
  Technically CD quality is not high rez - 24bit audio is. Just saying. Otherwise, nowadays I use xrecode II for everything but dBpoweramp would be my next choice.

Where would you suggest I obtain high rez files? 

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #9 of 10
  Where would you suggest I obtain high rez files? 

Well, there are sites like hdtracks but you should be checking the albums on http://dr.loudness-war.info/ if their dynamic range is fine coz if the dynamic range is compressed there isn't really any benefit and you'll just be spending more money. Also vinyl rips are usually 24/192 but I doubt you'll be ripping your vinyls. Also, if your pc or portable player can't output hi-rez audio there is absolutely no reason to go fo high-rez. Even then a lot of people will tell you that they don't hear any difference between CD quality and hi-rez. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 10
  Well, there are sites like hdtracks but you should be checking the albums on http://dr.loudness-war.info/ if their dynamic range is fine coz if the dynamic range is compressed there isn't really any benefit and you'll just be spending more money. Also vinyl rips are usually 24/192 but I doubt you'll be ripping your vinyls. Also, if your pc or portable player can't output hi-rez audio there is absolutely no reason to go fo high-rez. Even then a lot of people will tell you that they don't hear any difference between CD quality and hi-rez. 

I have an X5 so it's capable. But good call on the dynamic range. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back