How do you clean out bits of earwax from IEM (Ultimate Ears triple fi 10)
Jul 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

chococya96

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using this for couple of years and although I regularly clean the inside (you know the two small holes where the sound comes from) by using the cleaning tool that came with the IEM, I can see little bits of earwax stuck deep inside the canal.

I tried to use a pin with small cotton soaked in water to clean it out however, I couldn't do it as the holes were so small and it would push the waxes in instead of taking it out.

Is there any ways to clean out the canal while not damaging the interior?

Thanks, help would be appreciated it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 22
I know JH Audio provides a little wire tool with a brush one the other end that works great for this task.

http://www.jhaudio.com/product/wax-tool

Cost:  $3

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 22
Don't use the brush for getting wax out of the sound bores, only use the wire loop because the brush would only lodge the wax even deeper. (it's intended for brushing off the wax on custom iem surfaces.)

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 22
I in fact had this problem with my CIEMs last year, where wax was stuck inside one of the tubes. Attempts to clear the hard compacted wax out with the loop tool only pushed the wax further into the treble tube.

So I researched a lot and ended up purchasing the jodi-vac pro, hearing aid vacuum cleaner. After 20 minutes of cleaning, this was the result:

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 22
Looks like a neat device... certainly want one for cleaning out my triplefi. However, the price is kind of high for me.

$139 just to clean out the waxes from IEMs seems like a loss. Not to mention I live in Australia so they won't be able to ship to my location.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions. Will wait for more suggestions if anyone has one.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Looks like a neat device... certainly want one for cleaning out my triplefi. However, the price is kind of high for me.

$139 just to clean out the waxes from IEMs seems like a loss. Not to mention I live in Australia so they won't be able to ship to my location.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions. Will wait for more suggestions if anyone has one.

Well, it was made for hearing aids.  Also, if you look at the price of some high end customs, 139 actually doesn't look so bad anymore.  An issue like you have, or he had, would require a full reshell in most cases.  This requires impressions again if the company no longer has them on file, as well as a payment to reshell, of course, you also have to pay time.  So a solution like this would actually seem worthwhile in a situation like that.

However, the TF-10 can be had for 200 bucks, 99 back in the Black Fridays, which is definitely absurd to pay 139 to fix something that was 99 at one time XD  The MSRP of the TF10 is 400 though, might make it look a little better in that light XD 

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 22
They do ship to australia, just send them an email (I know because I'm from au as well lol)
beerchug.gif
But the above is absolutely right, having to send in the CIEMs back for a clean via insured post and the waiting time was something I was not willing to risk.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Well, it was made for hearing aids.  Also, if you look at the price of some high end customs, 139 actually doesn't look so bad anymore.  An issue like you have, or he had, would require a full reshell in most cases.  This requires impressions again if the company no longer has them on file, as well as a payment to reshell, of course, you also have to pay time.  So a solution like this would actually seem worthwhile in a situation like that.

However, the TF-10 can be had for 200 bucks, 99 back in the Black Fridays, which is definitely absurd to pay 139 to fix something that was 99 at one time XD  The MSRP of the TF10 is 400 though, might make it look a little better in that light XD 

Hmm, your right. It's better to get this device if you've bought a custom one for like over $300. For my case, I've bought my TF10 pro for 22000yen ($200~$250) around three years ago while I was in Japan. I also had troubles with my TF where one of the channel wasn't working and since I bought it from Japan, I had to send it back to Japan wait around literally four months and finally they sent it back with fixed channel and a new cable. Although it didn't cost that much (I only paid the postage and replacement cable) the time I had wait is just not worth it imo. As a result, if I sent this back for a full cleaning I'd properly have to wait couple of months.
I've just checked the prices for TF10 pro and $170 is the cheapest I could find from my area.

With that being said, I'm not sure if I should get:
- cleaning device
- a new TF10
- a new pair of earphones (thinking of getting UE 900 as it was similar to TF10 with improvements on some areas however, the price is just overkill)

With the cost in mind as well as how many years I've used this earphone for, getting a new IEM might be a viable option.

Quote:
They do ship to australia, just send them an email (I know because I'm from au as well lol)
beerchug.gif
But the above is absolutely right, having to send in the CIEMs back for a clean via insured post and the waiting time was something I was not willing to risk.

Nice to see fellow aussies in this forum. Ah, I see I noticed the voltage it uses matches the Aus voltage so it seems like I only need a one of those travel plugs to plug it into powerboard.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Hmm, your right. It's better to get this device if you've bought a custom one for like over $300. For my case, I've bought my TF10 pro for 22000yen ($200~$250) around three years ago while I was in Japan. I also had troubles with my TF where one of the channel wasn't working and since I bought it from Japan, I had to send it back to Japan wait around literally four months and finally they sent it back with fixed channel and a new cable. Although it didn't cost that much (I only paid the postage and replacement cable) the time I had wait is just not worth it imo. As a result, if I sent this back for a full cleaning I'd properly have to wait couple of months.
I've just checked the prices for TF10 pro and $170 is the cheapest I could find from my area.

With that being said, I'm not sure if I should get:
- cleaning device
- a new TF10
- a new pair of earphones (thinking of getting UE 900 as it was similar to TF10 with improvements on some areas however, the price is just overkill)

With the cost in mind as well as how many years I've used this earphone for, getting a new IEM might be a viable option.

Nice to see fellow aussies in this forum. Ah, I see I noticed the voltage it uses matches the Aus voltage so it seems like I only need a one of those travel plugs to plug it into powerboard.

That choice is up to you.  REgarding the UE 900 vs TF10, you're comparing the MSRP of a relatively newer product to an older discontinued product.  The price of the UE 900 will drop if you give it time, the only reason why it's price high still is because it's still relatively new out there.  As time passes, it'll drop. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

That choice is up to you.  REgarding the UE 900 vs TF10, you're comparing the MSRP of a relatively newer product to an older discontinued product.  The price of the UE 900 will drop if you give it time, the only reason why it's price high still is because it's still relatively new out there.  As time passes, it'll drop. 

It seems like whatever the case is, I'd have to buy the cleaning tool anyway. Might be good for using it in future as well.

For UE 900, I presume the price will be lowered in about a year or so. It's been nearly over six months since the release so I doubt it would be lowered quickly,
The price is $500 from my local area so yeah... no way for me to buy it right now.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

I believe it uses a figure 8 plug, so you can just buy a native cable and plug it into the powerpack (but check with sales to see if thats still the case lol)

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

I believe it uses a figure 8 plug, so you can just buy a native cable and plug it into the powerpack (but check with sales to see if thats still the case lol)

The sales rep confirmed it saying that it is a universal transformer and have Australian cords available.

With that being said, I guess everything is provided by them so no need to buy cable.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 22
I've been using this for couple of years and although I regularly clean the inside (you know the two small holes where the sound comes from) by using the cleaning tool that came with the IEM, I can see little bits of earwax stuck deep inside the canal.

I tried to use a pin with small cotton soaked in water to clean it out however, I couldn't do it as the holes were so small and it would push the waxes in instead of taking it out.

Is there any ways to clean out the canal while not damaging the interior?

Thanks, help would be appreciated it.

Hi,
The nozzle of my right monitor came off allowing me to thoroughly clean the tube with water and detergent. A few blobs of glue then stuck it neatly and firmly back in place. It struck me at the time that if I needed to clean the left nozzle a bit of patient and gentle work with a sharp knife would yield the same result on the left monitor. It may seem a bit drastic but a lot cheaper than some other suggestions.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 22
I know that the topic is on cleaning your triple fis, and I've found that using hydrogen peroxide is the best way (using a very thin pipe cleaner), but if this seems to be a big issue with you, I would probably look into some sort of ear cleaning routine.  When I used my IEMs 10+ hours a day everyday, I would clean my ears with peroxide every weekend... the more you use your IEMs the more you'll need to clean your ears; I know a lot of people use the whole "if it is bigger than your elbow then don't put it in your ear"....which is insane to me, but if you're that person (or anyone else that reads this) then they make protective ear "hoops" that are solely designed to exfoliate the insides of your ear (wax and skin) while maintaining high regards to safety.  Also, the silicone tips made my ears build up quicker than with comply tips, so I switched for that very reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back