How does the JVC FXT90 compare to the IE8?
Jan 13, 2012 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Fizban

500+ Head-Fier
I hope someone actually respond to this!
*keeping fingers crossed*

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
I hope someone actually respond to this!
*keeping fingers crossed*

Well for one the IE8 has a big mid bass hump which needs to be EQ to get any real enjoyment out of them IMO. Now if you are going for the IE80 (which replaces the IE8) then I consider that well worth the money. I do not own the FXT90 but I own JVCs flagship FX700. I consider the IE80 to be up there in quality with the FX700. While the FX700 may be technically the better performer. I still prefer the IE80 for its enjoyment factor and huge sound stage. Its all preference when it comes down to it. The IE80 will also be easier on the ears and are better for long listening sessions. The IE80 doesn't have the mid bass hump like the IE8 does so its mid range isn't clouded, its treble is silky smooth and its bass goes deeper. The sound stage is slightly smaller due to this but you have a more upfront and aggressive sound which I like.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 22
Well I have the FXT90 but not the IE8 and imo they are a fantastic IEM.  From the way people describe the IE8's I think the FXT90 will have a brighter and more airy sound signature but still have very good clarity, while the IE8's would be a little smoother with deeper bass and warmer highs.  

The JVC's have great bass response that is well textured and has good depth.  The mids are slightly recessed but still have great resolution while the highs are clean and crisp and non-fatiguing.  The JVC's have are very nice soundstage with good width and even better depth, also very good sound separation.

I'm really liking the FXT90 at the moment and since I've got them and burned them in I've been listening to them more than my TF10's which are my favorite IEM's.  At only around $120 to $140 depending on where you get them from I think there one of the best values in IEM's hands down.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 22
Also the IE8 sound stage will be significantly bigger I'm sure. You get that out of head feeling. I cannot stress though how much the IE80s are worth getting. Amazing and enjoyable sound signature. It just makes me want to dance when I have them in. And now listening to the FX700s on my studio V I also want to dance. The Studio V continues to improve with burn in. Earlier it didn't synergize with the FX700 at all, but not that's changed. Maybe I can sell my 601 afterall :)

Quote:
Well I have the FXT90 but not the IE8 and imo they are a fantastic IEM.  From the way people describe the IE8's I think the FXT90 will have a brighter and more airy sound signature but still have very good clarity, while the IE8's would be a little smoother with deeper bass and warmer highs.  

The JVC's have great bass response that is well textured and has good depth.  The mids are slightly recessed but still have great resolution while the highs are clean and crisp and non-fatiguing.  The JVC's have are very nice soundstage with good width and even better depth, also very good sound separation.

I'm really liking the FXT90 at the moment and since I've got them and burned them in I've been listening to them more than my TF10's which are my favorite IEM's.  At only around $120 to $140 depending on where you get them from I think there one of the best values in IEM's hands down.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 22
Check out 'the |joker| IEM comparison thread'- he just reviewed the HA-FXT90.  The IE8 is also in that post, along with the HA-FX700 for reference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-214-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fxt90-and-ha-fx500-added-1-8-12

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 22
Lee which one out of the IE80 & FX700 do you like best?  I would love to get the FX700 sometime because of how much I like the FXT90 but The IE80 seem pretty interesting as well.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Check out 'the |joker| IEM comparison thread'- he just reviewed the HA-FXT90.  The IE8 is also in that post, along with the HA-FX700 for reference.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-214-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fxt90-and-ha-fx500-added-1-8-12

Yea joker's reviews are all top notch and his review of the FXT90 is spot on.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Lee which one out of the IE80 & FX700 do you like best?  I would love to get the FX700 sometime because of how much I like the FXT90 but The IE80 seem pretty interesting as well.

Its really hard for me to say that lol. I honestly don't think I could be without both of them... I mean from an enjoyment standpoint I slightly prefer the IE80s. They make me want to dance more than the FX700s. But the FX700s are technically more proficient in certain areas such as treble extension, and timbre. Bass response is very close between these 2. Before the FX700 was a clear winner because the IE8 mid bass actually overpowered its sub bass. That is no longer the case as the IE80s sub bass dominates over its mid bass, which is how it should be.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 22
I think I'd like to try the IE80's or even the IE8's because of their out of the head soundstage and presentation, I just don't have anything that sounds like that, though my TF10's have a pretty wide soundstage.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 22
Radius DDM will give you that sort of soundstage and so will the FX500, both at a lower price.

I think the FXT90 has better treble and midrange than the FX700. The 700s sound bigger and more special but its more of a sidestep IMO. 

FXT90s midbass is a bit looser than the 700s but less so than the IE8.

The JCVs are very revealing though, so it's kind of picky about source.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I think I'd like to try the IE80's or even the IE8's because of their out of the head sound stage and presentation, I just don't have anything that sounds like that, though my TF10's have a pretty wide sound stage.

Do yourself a favor. Skip the IE8 and go for the IE80. I don't think it is appropriate to have to use EQ to make an IEM in that price range sound good. The IE80 is the reincarnating of the IE8 and it finally pulls its wait and isn't just based on hype. Whatever Sennheiser did they really did a good job. I still feel they are keeping the changes hush because they burned many IE8 owners in reality...

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 22
So the IE80's have a better over all sound thats more refined, I thought its was just a newer IE8 with not much of a change if any in SQ.  Thats good to know but I might have to wait awhile as $400 is a little to much for me to spend at the moment since I'm going to re-shell my TF10's with the driver upgrade.  Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back