How is this possible?
Jan 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 23
you need to spend more, the Theta DS Pro Prime II DAC could be out-dated. Do you have a docking station with SPDIF output? you should try outputting that directly into the DAC if given the choice instead of doing the USB -> SPDIF conversion.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 23
You did good, you didn't hear a difference. Return the new stuff and save some cash. If you are going to spend some hard earned cash on something, you should at least be able to hear and obvious difference right away - IMHO.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 23
I wouldn't assume that just because it says Theta on it that it's automatically going to be awesome. I have heard in several places that it's a real dinosaur and that any other DAC would be better, especially for the money. I'd look elsewhere. The Keces and MHDT DACs, as well as (in my opinion for sure) the Moodlab line of DACs, are very popular around here.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 23
I'm afraid it's headfi let you down.
You are listening not to specific amp or phones – you are listening for you system which includes yours ears.
Too many of reviews fail to specify condition of test or comparition to better system. Or reviewers was biased to their own system because they spend money on it and they trying hard to convince themselves what system is very good even if it doesn't. Or the system as good as it can be for the money you spend. Or.....?
You system usually as bad as the weakest element in it. I had decent cd player, M3 and HD650. It was sounding as crap until I replaced interconnects. It's my experience with better system. It's the reason I put emphathis on system. IMHO headfi fail to make it clear.
I don't have any experience with yours equipment so I can be wrong but it doesn't look for me what it's up to speed for eargasm. If you can you should find other fellow headfier and listen to his/her system and make decision for youself. Slapping pieces together in the hope to hit the jack pot not a good idea. Usually it will fail. It's possible what computer doesn't configured correctly or other very simple problem. Or you got expectation from system which unable to deliver at this price point. Or ….
I hope you'll find the way to enjoy the music.
It's my 2c
Vlad

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a certain point "upgrades" become so miniscule in their effectiveness that one must wonder if there is a real difference or just a perceived difference. And the 'cost-per-unit-of-change' increases dramatically as you move "up".

I think you are being smart to make the comparisons and to check your setup for a configuration that shows the expected improvement.
But at the end of the day, if you cannot hear a noticable improvement then your money may be better spent elsewhere.

Absolutely agree. I'll add that one should not fall into the trap of assuming that quality and price are necessarily correlated. There's a lot of overpriced gear in the hifi world, some of it poorly built/engineered.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 23
Happened to me too, some stuff just isn't as good as they tell you here @ head-fi, or somewhere else, try to get some money back from it, sell it, and look for something that WILL give you a noticable improvement.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely agree. I'll add that one should not fall into the trap of assuming that quality and price are necessarily correlated. There's a lot of overpriced gear in the hifi world, some of it poorly built/engineered.

Truly... I have had the same experience with my Heed canamp... I had to convince myself that it was indead better then my pimeta based amp. Though at least there was differences... At the time anyway the buzz was that it was competing against much higher priced amps.

I am a bit less naive now when I read how you need specifically that or that amp or that headphone will totally suck lol.
I am adjusting to the PRO 900 again not an immediate love affair though it somehows sticks on my head so must be an upgrade after all lol. I mean they sound awesome but so do the 750s so I may have found my threshold already...

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 23
I own a 0404USB, and in the past I've owned an MKV and D2000 'phones. There is a huge difference to my ears, especially when bass comes into play. Try boosting your bass a bit and see how the two compare then, even if you normally don't like lots of bass. The MKV has tons of more power than the 0404USB's built-in headphone amp. My D2000's would literally vibrate on my head with the MKV, but that would never happen with the built-in 0404USB amp no matter how much bass was added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back