How long until your customs need refitting?
Aug 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SoundFreaq

Headphoneus Supremus
Assuming you have a solid fit to begin with, how long does it take, for some of you who have been wearing customs for a while, for your ears to grow and change shape enough that you need a refit on your customs? I know this probably varies... but are we talking 3-4 years? a decade?

I feel after 9 months my pair doesn't fit as solid as it used to. It's not breaking the seal yet, but it's getting there. Are customs an endlessly expensive pursuit? 

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 11
When I still had my JH11s, they fit ok for slightly over a year (~13 months) then the seal in one ear completely disappeared :\

I guess there are too many factors that play a part here, for example age, weight (or weight changes I guess) bad habits...

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Customs are a rich man's patience game it seems. 
blink.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 11
These are from my own experience and/or extended discussions with an audiologist friend.

If you get your initial refit while you're still growing (lets say under 21 for a cut off point) your canals will also still be growing and the fit will change slightly.  This means the seal may be a little less airtight but it won't make them unwearable or unlistenable.  There's no set timetable for this - if you notice a couple inches though, it's a safe bet.

If you're past the point where your growth has stopped there are still things that can change your canals - real weight loss or gain among them.  I was told it started at fluctuations of about 10 pounds and gets more pronounced the more pounds you gain/lose - again, you may not need a refit but it won't fit quite the same way.

People outside these categories can be good without refits for years assuming no trauma to the ears and regular ear-cleaning.

Hope that helps.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
These are from my own experience and/or extended discussions with an audiologist friend.

If you get your initial refit while you're still growing (lets say under 21 for a cut off point) your canals will also still be growing and the fit will change slightly.  This means the seal may be a little less airtight but it won't make them unwearable or unlistenable.  There's no set timetable for this - if you notice a couple inches though, it's a safe bet.

If you're past the point where your growth has stopped there are still things that can change your canals - real weight loss or gain among them.  I was told it started at fluctuations of about 10 pounds and gets more pronounced the more pounds you gain/lose - again, you may not need a refit but it won't fit quite the same way.

People outside these categories can be good without refits for years assuming no trauma to the ears and regular ear-cleaning.

Hope that helps.

Interesting info. Thanks. 

Quote:
The outer part of the ear never stops growing until death.  Not sure if that pulls on the inner ear at all.  That could also be a factor.

That's what I was thinking. Hence my post...

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back