How loud is too loud...
Oct 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #91 of 100
No problem.

No, you'll have to achieve a full seal resemblant of the seal you have when wearing the headphones for a listening session. I mean, that's how they work, only with a full seal which is apparent once you take a headphone off, hold the cups near to your ear instead of sitting on top and notice a vast reduction in perceived volume. There was a thread that described this in more detail, but I can't remember where it is. I can't find it, but I'm sure by asking the right questions in the search utility you'll stumble upon it!!

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #93 of 100
Quote:
     I wouldn't consider necro bumping this thread as a good practice, but I commend for not listening to your music so carelessly, and that you preserve your hearing. I'm in The top band in my school in 8th grade and playing in the marching band next year, but I have established a slight hatred of the percussion section. The people around where I live that may join the band to play percussion are the loud music-damaged hearing jock types. My Half-Deaf band director tells them to back off and all they do is nod their heads, smile, and play louder. I'm still itching to get some ety-plugs to ease the loudness of our Quad player.

The percussion section in my high school symphonic band were probably some of the most skilled players in the band. It takes precision and a good sense of tempo and rhythm to get stuff right. Then again my high school is renowned for its concert bands and most players have already taken years of private lessons before joining...

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #94 of 100
Quote:

The percussion section in my high school symphonic band were probably some of the most skilled players in the band. It takes precision and a good sense of tempo and rhythm to get stuff right. Then again my high school is renowned for its concert bands and most players have already taken years of private lessons before joining...

Yeah. I wish I was at your school then. The percussionists we have just don't care(except for one Good Seed). They never show up to concerts, always play when the director is talking, never watch the directors cues during performance, and overwhelm the band with their obnoxious,nasally, low end Evans drums with plastic snares. Half of our Trumpet section also doesn't care about band either(I'm the top trumpet player in the 8th grade band), but that's for a whole other discussion.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #95 of 100
Quote:
Yeah. I wish I was at your school then. The percussionists we have just don't care(except for one Good Seed). They never show up to concerts, always play when the director is talking, never watch the directors cues during performance, and overwhelm the band with their obnoxious,nasally, low end Evans drums with plastic snares. Half of our Trumpet section also doesn't care about band either(I'm the top trumpet player in the 8th grade band), but that's for a whole other discussion.

Haha I was the best trumpet player up until Grade 12, when I was unseated by all the IB kids...

In Grades 9-10, there were so many people in our concert bands that we actually split them up into two. By Grade 11 though, only the people who had the commitment remained, so the quality improved (and we got rid of some pesky flute players :D).

My elementary school band sucked, but I did play in my high school's enrichment band (for elementary school students) starting from Grade 7.

Since we're talking about loudness, I did get a little too carried away in Grade 9, and my band conductor (music teacher) had to tell me to play softer.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #96 of 100
Quote:

Well no it's not because once you get to a certain amount of volume it is too loud and you shouldn't have it that loud and you'll be damaging your ears.

Other than that it's totally subjective. 

Everyone has a different level and different toleration of 'how loud is too loud.' That's what I mean. 
What could sound quite to you may sound surprisingly loud to another person, even though neither yourself nor that person would notice it. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #98 of 100
One trick I like is to boost the highs and lows with an equalizer. Then you can play at lower volumes with more impact. One reason loud is better is that human hearing can't hear high and low frequencies at lower volumes.

I am an extreme EQ freak. I have a 31 band 1/3 octave equalizer.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #99 of 100
Quote:
One trick I like is to boost the highs and lows with an equalizer. Then you can play at lower volumes with more impact. One reason loud is better is that human hearing can't hear high and low frequencies at lower volumes.

I might have to try that, as I generally enjoy quiter music. And since im blind and I can't smell things mah ears work pretty well. Plus I'm a bass player so I have a nack for enjoying those low requancies.

Still though, when I listen to DubStep with my Xb700's. I have my music at the Zune HD's max 30 [sometimes 28] wish I had that in Db's. Still though. I never listen louder than what the Zune maxes out, because I don't like loud music... Sadly though the Xb's only kick my face at loud'r volumes but the treble at that volume is still nice... any higher than it gets mega sibilant... still... nice thread <3 

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #100 of 100
Quote:

im pretty sure that boosting any frequency with an eq will subsequently increase the spl level. just cause you only turned up the bass/treble, doesnt mean you didnt turn it up.... might as well turn up the mids aswel....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back