How to bend Philips Fidelio X1 headband to loosen the clamp
Sep 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

LayLay

Head-Fier
Although I absolutely adored the sound of these headphones from the moment I heard them, the clamping force was too strong for my bigish but sensitive head when I got them. The headband wires are made of very thick gauge stainless steel. I tried stretching them by hand, and by using the box the headphones came in. That didn't do a well enough job, and the headband would retract to the previous state after some time. But I quickly found another solution, this time a permanent one. That is to bend at the two points along the headband where there already are slight inside bends, to round the headband so to speak. Note that this is for X1 only AFAIK.

But it is important how you do it, how you hold the headphones when you do the bend. To make sure you don't break something and so you make a nice curve. I also made this thread (And revisited this place after a hell of a long time) to tell you it is really worth doing so if you have even a small problem with the clamping force. It's your health on the line. Bend them only as much or should I say as much as you feel is necessary. Little by little if you feel like being careful. Though of course they can be bent back.

So, hold them like this. Check carefully the position of the fingers. The elastic padding is between the middle and index finger. The thumb is straight along the top of the headband. Note I already bent them so you can barely see the bend they came with.

The position of the other hand should be close, so you're bending with equal vectors both sides of the current bend. Pull the wrist of the hand that's close to the earcups up and push the thumb into the headband. Rotate the wrist of the other hand towards the outside.

Here's the result. Although they look rather loose compared to how they came, the headband still provides plenty of clamping force (at least for me), being made of very rigid material. I bent them four days ago (got them a week ago), they seem to be holding their state well. Of course, reapply as necessary.
Hope you found this helpful. :)

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 2
I was running on two hours sleep yesterday, so looking at this now it seems incredibly silly that I posted this. I mean, a bending tutorial?????? What am I, Bender Bending Rodriguez? I guess I was just happy to be able to wear the headphones, cuz the clamp was really bothering me those first few days. I hope the ridiculously idiot-proof nature of the above doesn't insult anyone's intelligence, if it did, I'm sorry. Still, the post stays. Someone out there may actually find it useful, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back