How to change Beyerdynamic (and others) earpads in under 30 seconds flat
Dec 5, 2020 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ev13wt

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey dudes and dudettes, haven't been here in a minute. Was changing earpads and for some reason decided to yt how to vids. I see people using a full on hairdryer setup and what not.

I've been using a technique for years and they go on in under 30 seconds flat like so:

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Hey dudes and dudettes, haven't been here in a minute. Was changing earpads and for some reason decided to yt how to vids. I see people using a full on hairdryer setup and what not.

I've been using a technique for years and they go on in under 30 seconds flat like so:

Really a good idea... my solution was much more brutal: after seeing how Beyerdynamic with newer models added a small dent on the cup, I decided to just cut a similar dent into the outer ring and use that to work them on (turning the pad along the edge to let the lip gradually move to the other side).

Dec 17, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Interesting idea, ev13wt. Thank you for sharing.

My main concern with this approach is that the lip on the earpads is made of a rather cheap plastic/vinyl material. And it might get too stretched out, or possibly torn over time with a technique like this.

After trying a few different techniques, I sort of came up with my own method which essentially involves holding the cup and one edge of the earpad in place with my left hand, and then using my right hand to basically stretch the earpad toward me just enough so that the lip can go over the other edge of the cup. I do that by grasping the side of the earpad that's closest to me with my thumb and index finger, and then simply pulling it toward me (almost like a rubber band). While holding the cup and other side of the earpad in place with my left hand.

At the same time that I'm doing this, I will also use the middle finger of my right hand (that's the long one btw) to help work the lip over the edge of the cup, by pushing it out from inside the cup. If you aren't careful though, you could potentially damage the drivers by pushing too hard on the earpads from inside the cups, to work the lips over the edges from that angle. So this approach also does require a bit of practice, care and coordination to do as well (which is why I haven't mentioned it until now.)

After you've done it a few times though, it also goes quite fast. Fwiw, I have changed the pads on my DT-770's probably a dozen or more times in the last few months. And have only torn them once so far, using a less sophisticated method of installation.

Your approach seems to require less skill and coordination though. :) So it might be a good alternative for some folks. I would just try to use some extra care when flipping the lips of the earpads inside out, and then back again. Because that plastic material can become torn pretty easily.

The standard replacement pads for the DT-770 and similar models are only about $30-40 a pair btw. So they aren't that expensive to replace, if you damage them.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Interesting idea, ev13wt. Thank you for sharing.

My main concern with this approach is that the lip on the earpads is made of a rather cheap plastic/vinyl material. And it might get too stretched out, or possibly torn over time with a technique like this.

I think you can slightly warm them up before that procedure (using a hairdryer on low heat setting), then the lip should be more malleable and won't get damaged

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 6
I think you can slightly warm them up before that procedure (using a hairdryer on low heat setting), then the lip should be more malleable and won't get damaged

Sounds like a good idea plakat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back