How to disassemble Grado RS-1?
May 25, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 33
This is one darn risky DIY if you ask me
eek.gif

May 25, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 33
Heehee...

*bang bang* Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon a Grado...*doo doo do doo do*...
icon10.gif

May 25, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 33
According to Grado Labs, they DO have a few tricks for opening them up... but even then, if you're not REALLY careful you risk cracking the wood. Even Headphile won't risk opening up an RS1 for modification.

May 25, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 33
I think the only person I've seen who has had RS-1's and MSPro's apart was doobooloo.

May 25, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolm.mcintyre
This is what we need to know

Considering the risks of breakage, I don't think Grado Labs is going to let us in on that secret!
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 33
I doubt using a heat gun aound the sensitive drivers would be such a smart idea not to mention the risk of burning the wonderful wood finish.

If you must get them appart the only thing I can think of would be to stick them in the freezer but then you run into issues with condensation on the drivers which I assume could potentially affect the sound...

The reason I thought I'd mention the freezer trick is because years back I seem to recall people were putting video cards into the freezer (see Voodoo 3 era) so they could get the heatsinks off easier (they were glued onto the chip). I'd assume it would help with the RS-1s as well but personally I think I'd leave well enough alone or see if Grado is willing to repair the cable for you... It'd be a shame to ruin such a nice pair of headphones.

May 25, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canon
I doubt using a heat gun aound the sensitive drivers would be such a smart idea not to mention the risk of burning the wonderful wood finish.

If you must get them appart the only thing I can think of would be to stick them in the freezer but then you run into issues with condensation on the drivers which I assume could potentially affect the sound...

The reason I thought I'd mention the freezer trick is because years back I seem to recall people were putting video cards into the freezer (see Voodoo 3 era) so they could get the heatsinks off easier (they were glued onto the chip). I'd assume it would help with the RS-1s as well but personally I think I'd leave well enough alone or see if Grado is willing to repair the cable for you... It'd be a shame to ruin such a nice pair of headphones.

AAAGGHH! No, WHATEVER you do, don't put an RS-1 in the freezer! That WILL crack the wood, I promise. Eeep!

Please keep in mind the materials you're dealing with here...

May 25, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I think the only person I've seen who has had RS-1's and MSPro's apart was doobooloo.

I remember doobooloo saying in his posts that his RS-1's were old and the glue was kind of dried up and brittle, making it easy to pull the plastic driver housings out. Otherwise, I don't see how it can be done without sustaining any damage to the wood cups, but of course Grado knows a way.

May 25, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 33
As I'm sure you all know, there is nothing in the least sophisticated about the engineering of these phones. They are just a dynamic capsule glued straight into a turned wooden tube. I'm sure the glue is there to make an airtight seal as well as fixing the capsule.
I am a terrible breaker of headphone cables due to standing on the leads or catching them in the arm of my office chair. I have relaced my Senn HD650 leads EIGHT times. So. I really need to get inside the Grados just to do a bit of soldering. I can't send them back to the US each time.

May 25, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 33
Yeah Doosiks RS1 was an OLD pair so the glue had deteriorated over time. He just pulled and peeled it and it came off.

I think we first have to find out what kind of glue they use. I can't tell if its hot melt or something else. I dont think its hot melt glue. My HF1 (hot melt) just fell apart with a little pulling. The RS1 is MUCH more secure than that.

??????

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back