How to move on and up from ATH-M50's?
Nov 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gabru678

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of ATH-M50’s that I have had for about 1.75 years now and would now like to pick a new pair.  I have been out of the Head-Fi loop for a little while now and am now interested in getting in and getting something new again.

I would like to keep the budget under $250 and like to keep the closed over ear design of the M50’s. 

I usually listen to a various range of music, but I most critically listen to slow score type music, usually piano and cello focused sound much like Phillip Glass.  And then go all the way into the other end of the spectrum into the area of music, and I like to listen to some Hip/Hip music, but like to keep the tonality not too intense; as such listening to the modern is more in my area (Drake, Kanye 808, Weeknd), not the older high hitting snares and drums (Ice Cube, Biggie).

And when I do listen to film scores they seem to be a bit more intense after that and have all of the big drums and such, so I like for my sound to focus on the warmer sound and really love the mid range.  I do get a bit of a bother when I listen to some of the higher end tones after a while (like a pair of Grado SR80i that I have tried out previously, and have heard of the "signature Grado Sound").  So a bit of a flatter line with a drop of at the higher end is not a huge issue to me (though I would still like to hear the high-hat and tell the snare is there lol). 
But I would like to most focus on the Midrange and lower frequencies as that is where I really enjoy my sound, so I would also like to know if this is affected by the soundstage, therefore I may be pushed to getting a more semi-open headphone.
I usually listen out of my laptop in the library so I would like some that don’t take too much power, but if required I would not mind having to upgrade something’s.  Additionally I wear glasses most of the time and find that the ATH-M50’s can be a bit fatiguing to wear after about 2 hours so something that is a bit more of a relax fit that would be best.  I have found the pleather of the M50’s to be a bit stiff but easy to clean so I an unsure of the benefits of the velour that many of the headphones in the market that I am looking at is going to be.

With these suggestions I have been looking into some of the options:

BEYERDYNAMIC: DT 660 – even though the bass seems to be a bit recessed
BEYERDYNAMIC: DT 770 (250 Ohm) – recessed mids
Audio Technica ATH-Pro700MK2 – may be a bit bass heavy and not give the other tones
 Audio Technica A900x – seems good
Ultrasone Pro 750 – also seem good
Sennheiser Urbanite – a bit much like beats?
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs – out of left field?
Beyerdynamic DT880 – nice soundstage
HD380 pro – suggested but not heard about

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 9
I do like the sound of my ATH-A900Xs.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 9
DT770 is a nice step up but the bass bloat might destroy your music depending on what you're listening to. A900x is a popular choice for good reason. Another can that gets suggested a lot as a solid closed option with good comfort, soundstage, and neutrality is the NVX XPT100.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 9
You should check out the Sony MDR-1R. Compared to the M50, it has a warmer sound with upfront lush mids. The soundstage is also quite a bit bigger and comfort is a lot better as well. I think that would solve your issues with the M50 quite well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back