HP-1000 replacement ear pads?
Feb 22, 2003 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
My HP-2's arrived safely but sure do smell their age! The foam ear pads have a bit of a frowsy/musty odor. Has anyone had any luck in finding something that would work for replacement ear pads? It doesn't even have to be a Grado product - anything that works for you works for me.

Feb 22, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 12
I personally prefer the old Grado flat pads, but they are extremely rare. I would give my left.....well, I would pay dearly for an extra pair. You can simply order some of the replacement bowl type pads from Grado Labs, or from HeadRoom. They do change how the HPs sound though.

Grado "Comfy" pads

Grado "Bowl" pads

Feb 22, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 12
I say take both of the above suggestions and run with them. Buy the 414 replacements for $5 and the Grado pads for close to the same cost. I bet you will love the flaming yellow pads the best...as JMT said...the old school flats are the best damn pads for grados...sadly...the 414s are the closest things to them now.

Feb 22, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 12
I squished my bowl pads for 3 weeks straight and they unsquished in like 15 minutes. How does one keep them flat?

Biggie.

Feb 22, 2003 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 12
here's what i did to squish them:

soak them in water, and wring as much water as you can out. then place them on some paper towels, and put some paper towels on top of them, and use some books to squish them. keep em that way til they dry (about a day). don't worry if they're too squished, they'll puff up a little more. they'll feel a lot softer too.

Feb 22, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you. I'll try the 414 tweetie bird pads and the grado options as well.

Feb 23, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 12
Haha my pads are soaking as I type this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Feb 23, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 12
I have a pair of the Sennheiser HD414 replacement pads on my SR-225s.

HUGE improvement over the bowl pads that came with them both in comfort and in bass impact--which I felt was lacking with the bowls. Make no mistake-it has been the best $7.90 I've spent on head-fi related goodies.

I couldn't live with the flaming yellow color, so I dyed them black as suggested by a member here who had done so. Search the archives, as they need to have a hole cut in them as well. This cold is getting to me, as I can't remember who posted these particular mods--both the dye job and hole-cutting, but the person I'm thinking of also posted pics of the completed pads.

Found the post in question. It also has a link to the Sennheiser page to order these pads.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=Grado+pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back