HP2 and RS1
Jun 24, 2010 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

niranhopper

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I was browsing the internet when i found that the HP2 retailed for 495 USD when the RS1 has always be at 695 USD. This got me thinking whether Grado intended the HP2 to be an inferior can to the RS1 and hence priced them less. But here in head-fi the HP2 is regarded to be much better than the RS1. Any thoughts on Grados pricing?

The reason for my question is i just got an old vintage grado rs1 and find them to be pretty darn neutral and lacking the usual grado coloration. It made me suspect that the old RS1 and HP2 have the same drivers but with different housing. And the RS1 is priced higher because of the wooden housing. Any thoughts?

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 17
I think I read something similar on here regarding the drivers used in the HP1000s and early RS1s.  This was quite a while ago and I may be wrong so don't quote me on it, but I don't think you're the first to bring up the idea they may have used the same/similar drivers.  Certainly interesting if true.  As far as I'm aware, the RS1 was released a while after the HP1000s had gone out of production so a direct price comparison might not be entirely fair.  I personally would have thought the metal housing and supposed tank-like build quality of the HP1000s (I've only seen pictures of them and read owners impressions) would have made them more expensive than the wooden ones.

Are your RS1s the ones with pink drivers?  I'd love to see some pics.  Must admit, I've recently been keeping an eye out for vintage RS1s and RS1is (which according to some owners are near to or even better than the vintage ones) as I very much liked the RS1s I had, although they were a bit piercing at times.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 17
They definitely do not share the same drivers.  A few of their earlier SR-200 models were fitted with HP1000 drivers when supply ran low, but the RS1 was never fitted with an HP1000 driver.

Regarding price, the HP1000 came out years before the RS1.  That's probably the main reason they were less expensive.  I imagine if the HP1000 were ever reissued, its price would be more in line with what they were charging for the PS-1.  Its driver is clearly superior to the RS1 in my opinion, and I've owned both a true vintage and current production RS1/RS1i.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 17
That must have been what I read then, that it was the SR-200 that had the HP1000 drivers and not the RS1.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Out of interest, how did you find the vintage and RS1i compared?

Quote:
They definitely do not share the same drivers.  A few of their earlier SR-200 models were fitted with HP1000 drivers when supply ran low, but the RS1 was never fitted with an HP1000 driver.

Regarding price, the HP1000 came out years before the RS1.  That's probably the main reason they were less expensive.  I imagine if the HP1000 were ever reissued, its price would be more in line with what they were charging for the PS-1.  Its driver is clearly superior to the RS1 in my opinion, and I've owned both a true vintage and current production RS1/RS1i.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 17

Hi

My RS1 drivers do looking pinkish in the center in the magnet area. The rest appears to be white. I am not sure if they are pink driver or white drivers but they seems to have a very natural deep soundstage.

Quote:
I think I read something similar on here regarding the drivers used in the HP1000s and early RS1s.  This was quite a while ago and I may be wrong so don't quote me on it, but I don't think you're the first to bring up the idea they may have used the same/similar drivers.  Certainly interesting if true.  As far as I'm aware, the RS1 was released a while after the HP1000s had gone out of production so a direct price comparison might not be entirely fair.  I personally would have thought the metal housing and supposed tank-like build quality of the HP1000s (I've only seen pictures of them and read owners impressions) would have made them more expensive than the wooden ones.

Are your RS1s the ones with pink drivers?  I'd love to see some pics.  Must admit, I've recently been keeping an eye out for vintage RS1s and RS1is (which according to some owners are near to or even better than the vintage ones) as I very much liked the RS1s I had, although they were a bit piercing at times.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 17
I am not sure why grado would downgrade the driver and increase the price. Is it complicated to produce the driver as in the case of K1000 which was discontinued due to manufacturing issues? I guess it can only because of increasing the profit margin or inflation or increased demand.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 17

I am not sure why grado would downgrade the driver and increase the price. Is it complicated to produce the driver as in the case of K1000 which was discontinued due to manufacturing issues? I guess it can only because of increasing the profit margin or inflation or increased demand.

Grado didn't downgrade the driver and increase the price.  Joseph Grado came out with a headphone called the HP1000.  It was limited to 1,000 units.  The HP1000 had a certain driver in it.  There were drivers left over afterwards, which were used in early editions of the SR200.  When those drivers ran out, John Grado switched to using a different driver.  

The HP1000 was produced before the days of John Grado, and before the release of the RS1.  The difference in price reflects several issues: (1) inflation; (2) a change in company management; and (3) costs of materials.

The real question is why, if these drivers were all the rage, John Grado didn't simply make more of them.  I think the answer is so obvious, it need not be spoken.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 17
John grado took over the company from (IIRC) his uncle, Joe Grado. Joe produced the HP-1000 series and some of the other early models.

There's some controversy over just where Grado gets its drivers. I don't think I've read a conclusive answer, but there's speculation that they're outsourced. But maybe they aren't, and perhaps they were at some point in the past. No matter, the HP-1000 drivers are no longer being manufactured. I also imagine there was quite a bit of expense in building the HP-1000, as well, most likely a bit higher than what it costs to make the RS-1.

In terms of sound, there's no comparison. The old HP-1000 headphones are superior to anything produced today. I've owned the RS-1 and there's a reason I eventually sold it yet kept my HP-2. I also keep the HF-1 and HF-2 around, but those are because I think they're a special part of this community. Both sound good and are brought out occasionally for a listen.

Too bad Grado won't undertake a faithful reproduction of the HP-1000 driver and find a machine shop to replicate the cups and housing. They're still some of the very best dynamic cans ever made.

Hell, even Fabio loves them. (Seriously.)

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 17
How do i identify a HP2 driver. Is there any marking on the back of the driver or can i tell by appearance?

Would be nice if Grado introduces them again at 1000 USD and discontinue the GS1000.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 17
The following threads should give you some answers.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486455/how-can-you-tell-which-headphones-have-hp1000-drivers

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/471238/do-these-have-the-hp1000-drivers-o

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 17
So the HP1000 is superior to your HD800 Erik? Never understood the limited run of great sounding headphones.. I know the HP1000 were expensive at around 700 in the 70's..But were no where near the cost of the R10 in 89...4000. & again.. It seems the most sought after headphones are no longer in production.. Maybe that's part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back