HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #391 of 1,409
Do you think Holo Red is worth it if you have a Holo May or Holo Spring 3 that has galvanic isolation and so no need for a DDC?
That I won’t be able to answer as I neither own Red not Spring3. I just know how these streamers and DDC work.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #392 of 1,409
Do you think Holo Red is worth it if you have a Holo May or Holo Spring 3 that has galvanic isolation and so no need for a DDC?

Helau.

Red is useful to separate noisy pc from listening area.
I have my HQP machine in the closet next to my isp router/gateway connection where it may run max fan speed with no audible pollution. It also doubles as Plex server.

Red sits by rack connected via usb to dac and ethernet hub.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #393 of 1,409
Helau.

Red is useful to separate noisy pc from listening area.
I have my HQP machine in the closet next to my isp router/gateway connection where it may run max fan speed with no audible pollution. It also doubles as Plex server.

Red sits by rack connected via usb to dac and ethernet hub.
What do you use for a HQP machine? How do you control it, if it is in a closet not hooked up to a screen?

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #394 of 1,409
What do you use for a HQP machine? How do you control it, if it is in a closet not hooked up to a screen?

It is just a sff Meshlicious build with W11 Pro, 14900k and 3090 so I can remote desktop in.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #396 of 1,409
How do you remove desktop in?

EMINENT meant Remote Desktop. One can use VNC, Teamviewer and many other similar tools instead.
But one can use also other methods to operate HQPlayer remotely.

See https://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

Control applications:​

Find more useful information on the product page as well as HQPlayer Manual. The manual is available when you install HQPlayer Desktop.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #397 of 1,409
How the heck do you get Qobuz on HQPlayer Client? I select Localhost and nothing happens. It doesn't matter if I'm in Play view or Album view. Nothing is visible in the drop down bar (where the Qobuz Login in supposed to be). Do I need to set something up in the HQPlayer Desktop program?

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #398 of 1,409
How the heck do you get Qobuz on HQPlayer Client? I select Localhost and nothing happens. It doesn't matter if I'm in Play view or Album view. Nothing is visible in the drop down bar (where the Qobuz Login in supposed to be). Do I need to set something up in the HQPlayer Desktop program?

Hallao.

Should you open client, you may find the right top corner box to login or clear library login as mine shows signed in.

1704767626358.png

Once signed in, you can then click the drop down in album view and select Qobuz.

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #399 of 1,409
Hallao.

Should you open client, you may find the right top corner box to login or clear library login as mine shows signed in.

1704767626358.png

Once signed in, you can then click the drop down in album view and select Qobuz.

Not working unfortunately. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It’s like the program isn’t actually connecting to “local host”.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #400 of 1,409
Not working unfortunately. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It’s like the program isn’t actually connecting to “local host”.

If you open client and click clear login as above, go back to album view and click left drop down, you should have 3 options: Library, Qobuz, HRA Streaming.

Clicki Qobuz for the login to appear.

1704773418510.png

If you are still having issues connecting to localhost: are you first able to use and output HQP at all? Are you able to output via localhost? Are you trying on HQP Client that is on the same machine as desktop?

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #401 of 1,409
If you open client and click clear login as above, go back to album view and click left drop down, you should have 3 options: Library, Qobuz, HRA Streaming.

Clicki Qobuz for the login to appear.

If you are still having issues connecting to localhost: are you first able to use and output HQP at all? Are you able to output via localhost? Are you trying on HQP Client that is on the same machine as desktop?

I got it working. I don't know if it's a bug but I don't have the option to run Qobuz in Client unless there is music appearing the in HQPlayer Desktop program. I dragged a random FLAC file into HQPlayer Desktop and then everything started working properly in Client.

Should I be able to run Client without also running Desktop at the same time? Both programs are on the same computer. It's odd, it's like Desktop needs to connect to local host before Client can.

Sorry, I should mention that this is my first time using HQPlayer and it's a trial mode. I don't fully understand the relationship between Client and Desktop.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #402 of 1,409
I got it working. I don't know if it's a bug but I don't have the option to run Qobuz in Client unless there is music appearing the in HQPlayer Desktop program. I dragged a random FLAC file into HQPlayer Desktop and then everything started working properly in Client.

Should I be able to run Client without also running Desktop at the same time? Both programs are on the same computer. It's odd, it's like Desktop needs to connect to local host before Client can.

Sorry, I should mention that this is my first time using HQPlayer and it's a trial mode. I don't fully understand the relationship between Client and Desktop.

Haoloe.

No apologies necessary. This is a common hurdle of the learning curve I also struggled with in the beginning.

Good to see files output. Yes, the desktop app has to be open and running for client to function. Client cannot do anything on it's own.

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #403 of 1,409
Hello all,

New HQPlayer user running HQPlayer Embedded on a dedicated media server. The media server runs an i5-10600KF cooled by a Noctua NH-U9S with two fans, and a GTX 1660 Ti GPU. In addition to hqplayerd, it also runs Jellyfin (similar to Plex/Emby but open source) and a WireGuard server. My endpoints are mostly limited to PCM 4x (174.6 / 192 kHz), so this media server is major overkill. I do have a LAN streamer in my Gustard R26 which can accept up to 705.4 / 768 kHz and DSD512, however, the LAN streamer sounds more smoothed over than AES from the Pi2AES at 4x PCM so I rarely use it.

Both of my DACs, Schiit Bifrost 2/64 and Gustard R26, now run in NOS mode permanently. I usually use sinc-M with NS9 dithering at 15 bits for the Gustard R26 or 16 bits for the Bifrost. I'm still exploring the filters but sinc-M/NS9 is a combination I keep coming back to over and over. I also like sinc-L for well produced material like classical that doesn't trigger the apodizing counter. I don't care for the closed form filters, as I've found the bass can be a bit claustrophobic and fatiguing.

HQPlayer has a steep learning curve and can be rough around the edges. Although it is well worth the effort and cost based on what's under the hood, I think that the project would hugely benefit from "walkthrough" style guides rather than rote descriptions of features, leaving it to the user to figure out the workflow. I also think that the web interface, HQPDcontrol app, and HQPlayer Client could all use a UX overhaul/rethinking. For example, why is HQPlayer Client, a desktop app, optimized for touch screens? and yet it's not available on Android/iOS? Why doesn't it simply auto-detect the instance of hqplayer on the network and default to the Library/Qobuz screen once connected? HQPDcontrol on Android auto-connects to hqplayerd, but the Library doesn't auto update which had me confused why some of my music wasn't showing up for a good two weeks. Both HQPlayer Embedded and HQPDcontrol could use library auto-update features. It would be nice to be able to access the configuration settings via HQPDcontrol, too. And don't get me started on the web interface, which has so much potential but is just so ugly and clunky.

At the end of the day, I get it: it's a one-man project and Jussi is focused on what's under the hood more than UX. What's under the hood is very powerful, and critical for getting the best performance from NOS R2R. There is a lot of untapped UX potential here, which can be frustrating, but ultimately that's all gone from my mind once the music starts up.

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #404 of 1,409
For 4xPCM, which I also use for my PCM192 max DAC, I'll suggest trying the Gauss1 dither. I'll change my filters depending on headphone and genre, but never switch from Gauss1.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #405 of 1,409
That's so odd, Jussi doesn't recommend running 512+fs modulators below their specified rate, but it seems the 512+fs modulator is already superior to "normal" super at 256x rate in the audible band. Not that it matters much as in either case you'll be far below the dac analog noise floor anyway.
Thanks so much for showing this by the way! I know everyone is asking you for more plots but I'm particularly interested in the s/n ratio of the new experimental AHM7EC5L at DSD1024, Jussi stated it's not suitable for digital volume control but hasn't mentioned how low it goes. Might be interesting if you find the time for more measurements :)
Same, this would be interesting to understand better what "limited SNR" really means.

Experimenting now with AHM7EC5L. At fist listen it sounds interesting and very high quality, but it certainly has it's own nature. It's very surprising that it can reach this level with so little cpu requirements. I very shortly compared it with ASDM7ECv3 and there is no clear immediate winner. Have done those comparisons @ DSD1024x44.1 and my favourite filter: gauss-xl(a).

Will use AHM7EC5L for some time as my sole modulator and play with different filters to see which one marries best with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• bogi
Back