HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #1,231 of 1,424
I am currently just leaving DSc2 with dsd512x48, 7EC Super (not the 512fs version)

Filter choice depends on materials - xtr short mp for hard rock; default filters gauss long, hires lp for everything else…

Still surprised how everything just sounds like LPs

yeah, I like to use short filters on 88.2khz and higher PCM. At those rates, the sinc response isn't an issue on audible frequencies and any aliasing/imaging is likely to be filtered out due to the higher sample rate.

as far as 44.1/48, I use apodizing filters with moderate rejection of imaging. Not a fan of long tap filters at these rates due to ringing. But I am learning to allow myself to step outside of 'theory' and just go by ear. Lots of DACs sound amazing on high resolution material. One of the benefits IMO of HQPlayer is with 'redbook' rates... the filters are so carefully designed, I am not sure how much advantage high resolution PCM actually has.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,232 of 1,424
yeah, I like to use short filters on 88.2khz and higher PCM. At those rates, the sinc response isn't an issue on audible frequencies and any aliasing/imaging is likely to be filtered out due to the higher sample rate.

as far as 44.1/48, I use apodizing filters with moderate rejection of imaging. Not a fan of long tap filters at these rates due to ringing. But I am learning to allow myself to step outside of 'theory' and just go by ear. Lots of DACs sound amazing on high resolution material. One of the benefits IMO of HQPlayer is with 'redbook' rates... the filters are so carefully designed, I am not sure how much advantage high resolution PCM actually has.
My dsc2 would not take pcm so that’s out of the question haha

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,233 of 1,424
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #1,234 of 1,424
Oh seriously? i wouldnt say i have seen a correlation between my tinnitus and what im listening to, unless its high volume ( IME 90dB+ will trigger tinnitus fairly quickly, tho i usually can listen to 70-80dB for hours with no real problem afterwards )

Tho, after watching @GoldenSound Dac comparison which was released 1 or 2 days ago i was yesterday curious if i could still hear 20khz on higher volumes.... "there was something" .... and afterwards i got a strange feeling in my ears with tinnitus.... i probably shouldnt have listen to 20khz sinetone at around 80dB.... (it was just for like max 30 seconds with testing different frequencys) but the feeling and tinnitus stayed for half an hour or so

i also played around with the 20khz filter, but i just got the expression that high frequemcy "crap" gets cut out, which was still audible to some degree, it seems to let you focus more on the "real" lower audible band
Tho this 'crap' can be part of the (intended) recording, specially if we talk overtones and all that, thats why i settled with my own filter doing only a few db at 18-22khz, which still lets you focus more on the audible band without cutting "details or this airy feeling" completely
I want to listen to them before doing any measurements. I prefer to listen first so the data doesn't influence my perception.

Unfortunately it seems the corrections don't work at 4x rates though and I'm temporarily using SPDIF currently so will need to wait a while before I can try them

1714427912179.png

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,235 of 1,424
My dsc2 would not take pcm so that’s out of the question haha

although I have seen versions with PCM to DSD SRC after the USB input so external software is not needed.

I thought about a version with that feature, but I don't think it allows for DSD bypass, which is a compromise IMO.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #1,236 of 1,424
although I have seen versions with PCM to DSD SRC after the USB input so external software is not needed.

I thought about a version with that feature, but I don't think it allows for DSD bypass, which is a compromise IMO.
Yes from Pavel's page, there is one for the BeagleBone and one for Amanero, but note Pavel's comment below bolded in red.

DSD'it - DSD SRC for BeagleBone

AK4137 allows you to convert to DSD256 without significant loss in quality.
This cape cannot claim to be HQPlayer's conversion quality, but it can compete with Roon software conversion.

Resized PNG graphic

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #1,237 of 1,424
Yes from Pavel's page, there is one for the BeagleBone and one for Amanero, but note Pavel's comment below bolded in red.

This cape cannot claim to be HQPlayer's conversion quality, but it can compete with Roon software conversion.
this thing is actually the reason why i wanted to start DIY my own dac...

Tho... listening to the BLA 2x2 Interface which is PCM only (and uses a older CS chip) and comparing to my previous aune x8 with DSD upsampling setup, i have to admit, the BLA beats the aune with DSD in transient response and overall smoothness and more precise high frequencys, very high frequencys, probably like 10-20khz pretty much always sound like crap on ESS dacs in hindsight, the BLA was the first dac after 3 ESS dacs that really changed this

just to give a comparison here, i always had to tame high frequencys on ESS dacs extensively, with the BLA highs actually sound that precise/pleasent that i was able to adjust my house curve.... around 2-3db more output at highs and the same "pleasent" feeling (and of course better details) as with the tamed aune, tho i would describe this in hindsight as if the high frequencys on ESS dac sound more "jittery" or something... its hard to describe

Now just speaking about ESS dacs .... DSD is over PCM still an improvement, but the BLA just mixed my conclusion about DSD previously completely up again, i guess this is also the case with (PCM only) NOS dacs

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,238 of 1,424

Resized PNG graphic

Roon conversion quality isn't all that bad, so this could be a nice solution for a lot of people. But it just isn't in the same league as HQPlayer.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #1,239 of 1,424
Roon conversion quality isn't all that bad, so this could be a nice solution for a lot of people. But it just isn't in the same league as HQPlayer.
nope you are right, it isnt as good as hqplayer as i read comments about it, but it allows for upsampling everything in hardware, which is the big plus here.... just stick the usb cable in and it works :)

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #1,241 of 1,424
Or just “DSD’it”!!! and take roon out of the equation 😂
indeed. I was just assuming the statement that the AK4137 conversion quality was similar to Roon is correct.

Who knows... listening is king, and I have never heard one.

Someday in the future, I might build my own DSC1 based DAC with AK4137 and instead of a transformer output, I may go with a more fleshed out tube output.

At the very least time consuming, probably expensive, but maybe worth it in the end? The experience gained is always worth it for an amateur like me.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,242 of 1,424
indeed. I was just assuming the statement that the AK4137 conversion quality was similar to Roon is correct.

Who knows... listening is king, and I have never heard one.

Someday in the future, I might build my own DSC1 based DAC with AK4137 and instead of a transformer output, I may go with a more fleshed out tube output.

At the very least time consuming, probably expensive, but maybe worth it in the end? The experience gained is always worth it for an amateur like me.
Or swapping out the transformer output and use some suitable neutral sounding opamps instead? then add a DHT low gain preamp?

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #1,243 of 1,424
Or swapping out the transformer output and use some suitable neutral sounding opamps instead? then add a DHT low gain preamp?

yes

that's very possible and not a too difficult modification.

Not to go too far off subject, but I believe that the PSAudio DirectStream, which is a similar DAC, albeit with a much more complex input FPGA and PCM digital filtering, in the end is a 1-bit thermometer coded converter that also uses output transformers.

The DSC2 with HQPlayer is just as good or better than that.. and if you can build one or find one pre-built will save many thousands upon thousands of dollars.

I say this as I have a first gen Directstream on the way now for a review comparison.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #1,244 of 1,424
yes

that's very possible and not a too difficult modification.

Not to go too far off subject, but I believe that the PSAudio DirectStream, which is a similar DAC, albeit with a much more complex input FPGA and PCM digital filtering, in the end is a 1-bit thermometer coded converter that also uses output transformers.

The DSC2 with HQPlayer is just as good or better than that.. and if you can build one or find one pre-built will save many thousands upon thousands of dollars.

I say this as I have a first gen Directstream on the way now for a review comparison.
I know nothing about ps audio dacs, is the direct stream actually dsd direct?

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #1,245 of 1,424
If anyone has a lead on a DSC2 DAC, please PM me. I'm very interested in acquiring one but have never seen one actually for sale. I'm not a DIYer so that's not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back