HTC 11 (aka HTC U 11)
May 19, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #286 of 501
I am searching for an armband, I have found the ''Floveme'' one for iphone 7+ size aka 5.5'', it comes with 3 holes one of them in the middle, though I wonder if the adapter can pass through?
Headphone_w675_h380.jpg

UTB8Sp18Xw7ydeJk43KUq6yaUpXal.jpg

May 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #287 of 501
Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #288 of 501
Well the small adapter is just a 10cm cable, while the smallest external Fiio is still relatively bulkier, so when you will go do your sports with an armband you can easily use the adapter while it's not the case with a fiio E6
It will still flap everywhere, and you cannot change the phone while using it.
Most of the time I use the headphone out is in my car for the AUX port.

But honestly these days I rarely listen to music on my phone anymore period because I am so busy that I only listen via my desktop system.

But for others its a non-starter, and for me when I used to drive every day I wouldn't be able to handle it either.

May 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #289 of 501
If you're curious as to how the U11 sounds with the dongle, just buy the dongle from HTC for $12 and use it on your 10.

http://www.htc.com/us/accessories-b/#!pid=htc-u-ultra&acc=usb-c-digital-to-3-5mm-htc-u-ultra

Oryan,

I saw that listed on their site before, but I have a hard time believing that's the SAME one that comes with the U 11 though. $11.99?? I know they buy the parts for it in bulk, but that is REALLY cheap. So I'm just gonna rely on any current or future reviews of the sound quality. This is what sets the U 11 apart from the U Ultra, because that I believe had the one you just linked bundled with it. I never saw any reviews that mentioned it have a "high-quality DAC" like the 3-4 for the U 11 I've seen said.

May 19, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #290 of 501
What I see is that they fully dropped the ball on the 11.
Its got side touch buttons so it makes no sense when you are using it and you will repeatedly touch the buttons. Case options are limited.
The camera is worse, no 3.5mm jack....

Who cares about the dac in the dongle? Who is going to use a stupid dongle like that to listen to music? If I am going to carry around a dongle I could buy literally any phone and use an external DAC.

HTC made this phone worse than the 10 in literally every way, and the DXO score literally means nothing because it doesnt translate to real world performance. Only peak performance in the best of lighting scenarios.
The side sensors are pressure senors, not touch, and you get to calibrate how hard you want to squeeze to activate them. So accidental touch shouldn't be a problem.

Camera worse? Forget specs and judge by images, it's the only thing that matters. Anyway the 1.4micron pixels are a consequence of adding phase-detection autofocus, so the focussing should be faster.TBH I still find Samsung's cameras to be a drawback with their phones (oversaturated and oversharpened - your tastes may vary). But I rarely rely on phone cameras myself.

I'm not happy about the dongle, but you know what, as long as the quality is good enough I'd just buy a second one and keep one with each pair of headphones I'm likely to use with the phone.

The ergonomics are my biggest concern (width, and especially how low as well as wide the capacitative buttons are, mean I can see it being extremely difficult to use one-handed).

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #291 of 501
Oryan,

I saw that listed on their site before, but I have a hard time believing that's the SAME one that comes with the U 11 though. $11.99?? I know they buy the parts for it in bulk, but that is REALLY cheap. So I'm just gonna rely on any current or future reviews of the sound quality. This is what sets the U 11 apart from the U Ultra, because that I believe had the one you just linked bundled with it. I never saw any reviews that mentioned it have a "high-quality DAC" like the 3-4 for the U 11 I've seen said.

Yep I am waiting for the PhoneArena review because they test the 3.5mm jack in terms of voltage, I will rather take an S8 if the volume is the same, but if it's as loud as the 10 (and if price is really in the 650$ not more) then the U11 will be mine

May 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #292 of 501
Yep I am waiting for the PhoneArena review because they test the 3.5mm jack in terms of voltage, I will rather take an S8 if the volume is the same, but if it's as loud as the 10 (and if price is really in the 650$ not more) then the U11 will be mine

Ahh ok. Yeah I'd like to see that too. From what I'd seen elsewhere, another reviewer listed the headphone output max voltage of the 10 at 1.009 volts. FYI.

May 19, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #293 of 501
Oryan,

I'd be shocked if they had two different USB-C to 3.5mm dongles. The Apple dongle is only $9, and it's been rated fairly well.

And since it's an external DAC, unless the phone is doing something very wrong, using the same USB-C to 3.5mm dongle on various phones should sound exactly the same. The U11 and U Ultra should sound identical given the same 3.5mm dongle.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #294 of 501
I'd be shocked if they had two different USB-C to 3.5mm dongles. The Apple dongle is only $9, and it's been rated fairly well.

The only reason why I'd maybe believe that is because I've seen some DACs sell for $10-$20. But I'd be slightly disappointed though. Then again, if people think it sounds as good as the 10, then perhaps it doesn't matter? But I need to read reliable reviews that confirm that before I'll believe it. lol

May 19, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #295 of 501
Oryan,

it IS the same one, like I said, there is no magic going on. The person who said the dongle sounded incredible with the htc 11 was either heavily biased to give a favorable impression or just easily pleased as I said, if your headphones sound good to begin with, chances are, with any decent source, the headphones will unironically sound good. There is no magically higher quality dac in the htc 11 bundled version when they are identical, in fact like I said earlier, it is likely just a passive adapter using the usb c over analog spec (the actual source would be the snapdragon dac). If you buy it thinking it is a dac, I bet you are in for a disappointment as your htc 10 doesn't support usb c over analog so that means no sound at all since the adapter has no dac

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #296 of 501
it IS the same one, like I said, there is no magic going on. The person who said the dongle sounded incredible with the htc 11 was either heavily biased to give a favorable impression or just easily pleased as I said, if your headphones sound good to begin with, chances are, with any decent source, the headphones will unironically sound good. There is no magically higher quality dac in the htc 11 bundled version when they are identical, in fact like I said earlier, it is likely just a passive adapter using the usb c over analog spec (the actual source would be the snapdragon dac). If you buy it thinking it is a dac, I bet you are in for a disappointment as your htc 10 doesn't support usb c over analog so that means no sound at all since the adapter has no dac

So why did HTC tell Android Central this then (from an earlier post)? I saw another article somewhere else that basically said the same thing too.

May 19, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #297 of 501
So why did HTC tell Android Central this then (from an earlier post)? I saw another article somewhere else that basically said the same thing too.
high end dac my ass, the only dac a thing of that size can hold is literally a low end budget device DAC, nothing high end like akm or ess sabre. That's why I assumed they would do the logical thing and just use the same qualcomm 24 bit dac as last year, but nope, htc really screwed themselves over. And when a tiny budget dac a tenth the size of an ess sabre/akm dac can perform "amazingly" and sound "incredible" as a high end expensive dac, you know for a fact that the differences between dacs are little to none to begin with once it is at least given some kind of half spirited proper implementation rather than being completely skimped over

May 19, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #298 of 501
high end dac my ass, the only dac a thing of that size can hold is literally a low end budget device DAC, nothing high end like akm or ess sabre. That's why I assumed they would do the logical thing and just use the same qualcomm 24 bit dac as last year, but nope, htc really screwed themselves over. And when a tiny budget dac a tenth the size of an ess sabre/akm dac can perform "amazingly" and sound "incredible" as a high end expensive dac, you know for a fact that the differences between dacs are little to none to begin with once it is at least given some kind of half spirited proper implementation rather than being completely skimped over

LOL..........so you're saying the size of the dongle is too small for it be high end like ESS Sabre?

I'm with you there. I would've preferred they kept the headphone jack, even if that meant the speakers couldn't get as loud. But that's because I prefer headphones over phone speakers. Crazy ME! lol

I've heard some ppl say all DACs are the same. I DUNU if that's what you're saying or not, but I only agree to a certain point. I know that when I compared my Sony XP to my Oppo HA-2, I could hear a difference in quality. Now maybe 2 high end DACs against each other would be different.

Yeah so if anyone in this thread sees a review of the U 11's DAC/amp or sound quality through the dongle on headphones, please post the review here. But if what akg is saying is correct, then I guess I'm glad I chose to stick with my 10. lol

May 19, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #299 of 501
LOL..........so you're saying the size of the dongle is too small for it be high end like ESS Sabre?

I'm with you there. I would've preferred they kept the headphone jack, even if that meant the speakers couldn't get as loud. But that's because I prefer headphones over phone speakers. Crazy ME! lol

I've heard some ppl say all DACs are the same. I DUNU if that's what you're saying or not, but I only agree to a certain point. I know that when I compared my Sony XP to my Oppo HA-2, I could hear a difference in quality. Now maybe 2 high end DACs against each other would be different.

Yeah so if anyone in this thread sees a review of the U 11's DAC/amp or sound quality through the dongle on headphones, please post the review here. But if what akg is saying is correct, then I guess I'm glad I chose to stick with my 10. lol
I'm saying the dude who listened to the htc 11 was probably told it was a high end dac and expected it to sound good, and he heard what he wanted to, but if he was told that there was a cheap dac in there then be would be far more clinical and probably rate it as bad and tinny sounding, I have a feeling a lot of bias was in that impression. Just like how if you tell a guy this cheap wine is a very expensive wine then he'd probably believe it. There is only so much a DAC does, a better headphone is far superior, and comparing properly implemented dacs is like trying to say there is a big difference between 320kbps and 321kbps music files (assuming these exist for comparisons sake).

May 19, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #300 of 501
I'm saying the dude who listened to the htc 11 was probably told it was a high end dac and expected it to sound good, and he heard what he wanted to, but if he was told that there was a cheap dac in there then be would be far more clinical and probably rate it as bad and tinny sounding, I have a feeling a lot of bias was in that impression. Just like how if you tell a guy this cheap wine is a very expensive wine then he'd probably believe it. There is only so much a DAC does, a better headphone is far superior, and comparing properly implemented dacs is like trying to say there is a big difference between 320kbps and 321kbps music files (assuming these exist for comparisons sake).

Yeah. I agree. That's why I'd like to see more reviews on it. I'd REALLY like to see a review of it vs. the 10's DAC/amp. lol :ok_hand::clap:

So you agree then with those people who say the quality of a pair of headphones is more important than the source material AND/OR the DAC/amp quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back