Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #13,008 of 18,535
My MScaler/TT2 is being fed by an Auralic Aries G1 streamer using Tidal via Roon managed on my Mac .... and that is wired to my router at the moment with cheap Cat 5E cable.

I am looking to change the cheapo cable that is between router and Auralic. I was thinking of Audioquest as I happen to like their stuff but have never had any 'fancy' Ethernet cables.

Has anyone tried Cinnamon, Carbon and Vodka Ethernet with their system ? My head says anything more than Carbon is too expensive but then I have spent silly money on USB and BNC + been very happy with the results which I feel are obvious (not wanting a cables make no difference argument).

Views on Cinnamon / Carbon or Vodka for a 4m run .... the costs in the UK are Cinnamon (5m) is £145. Carbon (4m) is £180 , Vodka (5m) is £999.
Hi,

I owned the G1 for around a year, great product with an excellent price/performance ratio. However, in my very humble opinion, and based purely on my own subjective listening rather than any technical understanding of how Auralic designed and implemented their ethernet port, I felt it was very sensitive to upstream ethernet components and I can only assume the galvanic isolation and filtering on the ethernet port is perhaps not quite as good as it could be. I think you would see greater gains by firstly breaking that direct link between the g1 and your IT router. I did this by inserting a dedicated music server in between, one that has and ethernet and an ethernet out, (innuos, melco, Antipodes CX etc) In your case, as you listen to mainly TIDAL not locally stored files, this is probably an overkill. I don't have any direct experience with the EtheRegen, but I have heard great reviews and that would certainly be one option. I also home demoed the new(ish) GE Audiophile ethernet switch, which worked very well. I also demoed the Melco one, excellent, but that was £2k!!! There are also products like JCAT and SoTm that do inline ethernet isolators.

I suspect some people will be even more offended at the suggestion of ethernet switches making a difference, but most suppliers offer 30 day demo's so make your own mind up. I currently use AQ Vodka in my setup, Despite being expensive I still think they are the sweet spot in the AQ range in terms of price/performance, but again just to repeat myself, with the auralic I would try the above options before fine tuning with ethernet cables.

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #13,009 of 18,535
Hi,

I owned the G1 for around a year, great product with an excellent price/performance ratio. However, in my very humble opinion, and based purely on my own subjective listening rather than any technical understanding of how Auralic designed and implemented their ethernet port, I felt it was very sensitive to upstream ethernet components and I can only assume the galvanic isolation and filtering on the ethernet port is perhaps not quite as good as it could be. I think you would see greater gains by firstly breaking that direct link between the g1 and your IT router. I did this by inserting a dedicated music server in between, one that has and ethernet and an ethernet out, (innuos, melco, Antipodes CX etc) In your case, as you listen to mainly TIDAL not locally stored files, this is probably an overkill. I don't have any direct experience with the EtheRegen, but I have heard great reviews and that would certainly be one option. I also home demoed the new(ish) GE Audiophile ethernet switch, which worked very well. I also demoed the Melco one, excellent, but that was £2k!!! There are also products like JCAT and SoTm that do inline ethernet isolators.

I suspect some people will be even more offended at the suggestion of ethernet switches making a difference, but most suppliers offer 30 day demo's so make your own mind up. I currently use AQ Vodka in my setup, Despite being expensive I still think they are the sweet spot in the AQ range in terms of price/performance, but again just to repeat myself, with the auralic I would try the above options before fine tuning with ethernet cables.
Wouldn't using WiFi take care of that if the signal is robust enough?

I'm using the Aries G2 with a short ethernet cable at the moment (and Hoer-Wege PSU) and it's pretty good.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #13,010 of 18,535

I'm using the Aries G2 with a short ethernet cable at the moment (and Hoer-Wege PSU) and it's pretty good.
For 32 euro, i found the GL-MT300N-V2 . I use a power bank for the 5V it needs.
It is the perfect switch to do the job. Exit the noise from the long rj 45 cable.
I use it with my 2G0 for wired connection. 192khz files perfectly.
Soon with the 2yu, it will be a perfect system for the HMS with fiber.
in some weeks, i will try it with my Aurender N100 who needs a switch too because it send noise on the 220V.
And this noise kill the DACs. Not only TT2 and Dave but with naim too.
My dealer proves me that in shop with a switch for 500 euros.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #13,011 of 18,535
For 32 euro, i found the GL-MT300N-V2 . I use a power bank for the 5V it needs.
It is the perfect switch to do the job. Exit the noise from the long rj 45 cable.
I use it with my 2G0 for wired connection. 192khz files perfectly.
Soon with the 2yu, it will be a perfect system for the HMS with fiber.
in some weeks, i will try it with my Aurender N100 who needs a switch too because it send noise on the 220V.
And this noise kill the DACs. Not only TT2 and Dave but with naim too.
My dealer proves me that in shop with a switch for 500 euros.
Great, but have you tried it using WiFi? No cables presumably means no noise from cables...

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #13,012 of 18,535
Great, but have you tried it using WiFi? No cables presumably means no noise from cables...
Yes. The GL-MT300N-V2 uses the same wifi chanel that my Netgear modem.
It is not possible to select an another chanel for the GL in this configuration.
A little rj45 is between the 2go and the Lan output of the GL.
The 2go With the 2yu optical output will be the best home and portable streamer.
It will be a upgrade for the Hugo2 too. PM me if you want to known why or wait my comment on the 2yu threads.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #13,013 of 18,535
I'm ok thanks.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #13,014 of 18,535
Wifi is only useful to transceivers in wifi routers, to everything else it is RFI, and is the very noise you want to keep well away from audio equipment, particularly the DAC and anything connected to it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #13,015 of 18,535

I think auralic actually recommend the use of WiFi over a wired connection, they certainly use to anyway, presumably for the very reasons we are talking about, wireless give complete galvanic isolation. The issue I guess is you are then switching on a very noisy piece of circuitry within your audio equipment, and close to others. I was never in a position to seriously test the WiFi option as coverage in my listening room was terrible and it struggled with hires files.
would be interesting to know how the 2 compare,

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #13,016 of 18,535
I think auralic actually recommend the use of WiFi over a wired connection, they certainly use to anyway, presumably for the very reasons we are talking about, wireless give complete galvanic isolation. The issue I guess is you are then switching on a very noisy piece of circuitry within your audio equipment, and close to others. I was never in a position to seriously test the WiFi option as coverage in my listening room was terrible and it struggled with hires files.
would be interesting to know how the 2 compare,
Yes they do recommend that with the G2. Same here, I have gone with a USB cable for stability reasons.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #13,017 of 18,535
I would suggest no matter the cable quality that you use UTP rather than STP. The shield raises the ground noise possibility.
I made up my own Supra Cat 8 cable with Telegärtner connectors. To prevent ground noise, I only terminated the screen at the switch end.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #13,018 of 18,535
Hello,

I started using BNC cables as input to Qutest from MScaler and noticed that any slight wobble of cable causes audio to be distracted / crack. I double checked and confirmed the cables are connected properly with snug fit. Is it the nature of BNC connection to be so sensitive to any movement?

Thanks

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #13,019 of 18,535
Hello,

I started using BNC cables as input to Qutest from MScaler and noticed that any slight wobble of cable causes audio to be distracted / crack. I double checked and confirmed the cables are connected properly with snug fit. Is it the nature of BNC connection to be so sensitive to any movement?

Thanks
iamdman, what kind of BNC cables were you using?

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #13,020 of 18,535
Hello,

Thanks
Probably due to poor termination.

I've replaced amphenol 12GHz 4K with wireworld starlight 8, worth a try for entry level.

If your budget is allowed, you may try a well known and proven BNC cable which is frequently discussed in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back