Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #7,832 of 18,535
It is a newish AK device https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-kann-cube.905446/
Some people are enthusiastic about it, but it looks like a large brick with very sharp corners, so it will hurt if you drop it on your foot, or pet.
its priced right based on what it does... balanced substantially better than mojo poly (roughly same price)... + ability to download tidal and qobuz to device... mqa decoder... optical out etc... and xlr out to something like elac navis... cool kit...

best sounding DAP on market now...

agree that hugo2 +2go could be better.

get a case solves the edge problem... and it did give my friends dog a bloody head when it fell off desk.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #7,833 of 18,535
I'm really interested in this.

Currently a HugoTT owner who is thinking about upgrading to a DAVE. I do 60% of my listening on Genelec Studio Monitors (8050s with a 7060 subwoofer) and 40% headphone listening (these days only HD800S). Roon is my source.

I reckon I'm equally split between 24-Bit / Tidal / lossy formats as source files.

Would a single DAVE suit me better than a HugoTT2 / MScaler combo?

Pretty sure that Chord will get my money (and I'll get a great system) either away.
hey bud... how does the 8050 and 7060 sound with the TT? did you get an mscaler?

if so sound impact with the genelec? since the genelec have their own onboard DACs wondering about issues here.

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #7,834 of 18,535
Hi Clive101,

Just to let u know i have now purchased the EX to give me the CX+EX solution.

This has taken my musical experience to yet another level that i did not think was possible,a wow moment.Not cheap but dam good :)

Glad you enjoy the CX EX combo, I also was surprised how adding EX became a game changer. To get the best from the combo I would recommend uninstalling all the apps you do not use and just use Squeezebox server and Squeezelite.

The other intensive Apps like Roon seem to dent the SQ I guess more CPU power makes more noise.

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #7,835 of 18,535
its priced right based on what it does... balanced substantially better than mojo poly (roughly same price)... + ability to download tidal and qobuz to device... mqa decoder... optical out etc... and xlr out to something like elac navis... cool kit...

best sounding DAP on market now...

agree that hugo2 +2go could be better.

get a case solves the edge problem... and it did give my friends dog a bloody head when it fell off desk.
I had spotted your post on the kube thread, mentioning the dogs injury.
It made me feel uncomfortable, the thought of any piece of hifi kit, falling on a pet and cutting them or breaking their bones.

The kube will sell well to owners who want the simplicity and ease of use (including a large screen) of an 'all in one' dap solution.

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #7,836 of 18,535
Other than windows laptop/pc do other endpoints take advantage of chord asio driver ? I found my laptop after using ifi isilencer and idefender to be a one all round solution for everything. idefender is a great little stick which does a simple yet most effective tweak, it replaces dirty 5v power of laptop with a power of your choice. I use 4xNimh battery pack. Although i use foobar as player controlled by android foobar remote for playing offline files, i am still finding ways to stream directly to foobar so that i can take advantage of asio driver via foobar.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #7,837 of 18,535
Glad you enjoy the CX EX combo, I also was surprised how adding EX became a game changer. To get the best from the combo I would recommend uninstalling all the apps you do not use and just use Squeezebox server and Squeezelite.

The other intensive Apps like Roon seem to dent the SQ I guess more CPU power makes more noise.
I don’t know the combo or ex on its own, but the combo is supposed to improve performance. Roon is fantastic on DX but that was the flagship....

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #7,838 of 18,535
I don’t know the combo or ex on its own, but the combo is supposed to improve performance. Roon is fantastic on DX but that was the flagship....
I am sure Roon is great on any Antipodes or any other server.
If you have time try your DX with Squeezebox server and Squeezelite without Roon installed you may find an improvement in SQ let us know how you get on.
Is there a Antipodes dedicated thread ?
PS @SalvorHardin I have stopped using the dots I also had the habit of using them.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #7,839 of 18,535
I am sure Roon is great on any Antipodes or any other server.
If you have time try your DX with Squeezebox server and Squeezelite without Roon installed you may find an improvement in SQ let us know how you get on.
Is there a Antipodes dedicated thread ?
PS @SalvorHardin I have stopped using the dots I also had the habit of using them.
Great question, I started one. Well it’s gone through three title changes due to head fi lack of music server renderer threads.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ant...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/

I started it asking the question is there a better way to feed bits to my TT other than my iMac? Budget be damned. Well I didn’t get much other than diy advice so started phoning high end retail from coast to coast and was continuously recommended this New Zealand company antipodes. Well the rest is history.
My thread became more of a bio as I just describe my progress through the line and the company leading to the latest version of DX before it got delisted. We could meet there as server talk tweeks or whatever or create your own thread with the models antipodes is going forward with. I stoped adding to the thread as it felt like a monologue. However it seems to have a purpose with 16500 views, so that’s ok.
If you start a thread let me know.

P.s. don’t stream only store on DX hard drive

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #7,840 of 18,535
Sorry to go back to this, but can anyone shed light on why I only get sound on maximum Output Sample Rate (OP SR 'white') and not when cycling through the others (red, green and blue) given I've connected the bnc cables correctly?

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #7,841 of 18,535
Check without OP SR white that 1 bnc goes to 1 bnc and 2 bnc goes to 2 bnc with tt2/hms as only 1 cable is used for data transmission without OP SR white.

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #7,842 of 18,535
Sorry to go back to this, but can anyone shed light on why I only get sound on maximum Output Sample Rate (OP SR 'white') and not when cycling through the others (red, green and blue) given I've connected the bnc cables correctly?

I had this same issue. You need to swap bnc 1 and at the m scaler end.

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #7,843 of 18,535
I have an M Scaler and TT2 shipping next week and while I've read about to 300 of 524 pages of this thread, I still don't get a good sense of what people have settled on for decent cables.
Are Drew's Silver Dragons for the Dual BNC connection well received? The price is right but, if there is something else around the same $ range, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about them. For the source I have to use the USB input as it will be coming from a Zenith MK3. I WireWorld Platinum seems to be well regarded but I know that there exists a certain synergy between components that, while tangible for the end user, doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Any anecdotes with regard to this pairing?

Thanks

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #7,844 of 18,535
I have an M Scaler and TT2 shipping next week and while I've read about to 300 of 524 pages of this thread, I still don't get a good sense of what people have settled on for decent cables.
Are Drew's Silver Dragons for the Dual BNC connection well received? The price is right but, if there is something else around the same $ range, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about them. For the source I have to use the USB input as it will be coming from a Zenith MK3. I WireWorld Platinum seems to be well regarded but I know that there exists a certain synergy between components that, while tangible for the end user, doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Any anecdotes with regard to this pairing?

Thanks
I have the Silver Dragons for the Dual BNC and I am happy with the result. I have the M scaler attached to the Dave, which I primarily use for my ATC SCM ASL 100s but just recently bought a Abyss Diana Phi and it is truly incredible. Once I did swap out the stock cables when i was troubleshooting a connection issue when the system wasn’t running and there was a subtle though noticeable drop in the sound quality - the bass seemed more defined and the percussion notes more crisp with the Silver Dragons.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #7,845 of 18,535
I had this same issue. You need to swap bnc 1 and at the m scaler end.[/QUO
This is strange - noticed MS OP SR was 'red' tonight (I never switch it off and was listening in 'white' 705 last night) - indicated 44.1 bypass - cycled through the different colours back to 'white' - they all worked - seems to have fixed itself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back