Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #11,807 of 18,566
I use optical from my source (custom built PC) to the Mscaler. I currently use the stock dual BNCs between the Mscaler and Dave.

I would appreciate if you would share how the sound improved with the new glass toslink cable. I was wondering myself about the differences between plastic and glass toslink cables and I have tried several cables. Atlas Mavros (connectors are too big and I almost damage the receptacle trying to push it in - works with 96 but because you can not plug it al the way in 192 is a no go) - At 96 I could not find a difference between Mavros and my present plastic Supra toslink cable. Then I tried Audioquest Diamond which by some should be the best (connectors fit very tightly but no 192) - no audible difference - return it. I then bought a Lifatec used. Compared with my Supra it might be a difference I am hearing, Lifatec may sound a bit thinner while Supra a bit darker and I prefer the Supra. This difference is so small that it might be that I just imagine it. I left the Supra there and I find it a cheap excellent and reliable cable. My take from this was that with Chord gear and Rob's DPLL there's not a real difference between optical cables - they either work or they don't. Of course this is just my opinion based on my ears and just above tests so I might be wrong. I'd love to hear your experience though.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #11,808 of 18,566
I would appreciate if you would share how the sound improved with the new glass toslink cable. I was wondering myself about the differences between plastic and glass toslink cables and I have tried several cables. Atlas Mavros (connectors are too big and I almost damage the receptacle trying to push it in - works with 96 but because you can not plug it al the way in 192 is a no go) - At 96 I could not find a difference between Mavros and my present plastic Supra toslink cable. Then I tried Audioquest Diamond which by some should be the best (connectors fit very tightly but no 192) - no audible difference - return it. I then bought a Lifatec used. Compared with my Supra it might be a difference I am hearing, Lifatec may sound a bit thinner while Supra a bit darker and I prefer the Supra. This difference is so small that it might be that I just imagine it. I left the Supra there and I find it a cheap excellent and reliable cable. My take from this was that with Chord gear and Rob's DPLL there's not a real difference between optical cables - they either work or they don't. Of course this is just my opinion based on my ears and just above tests so I might be wrong. I'd love to hear your experience though.
All these posts about problems with "audiophile" optical cables just show to me that these so called "audiophile" toslinks are just utter crap.
I'm using my unit with two optical inputs. One from hifiberry streamer (short about 50cm) but the second input is optical from my pc (when I want to play games watch youtube, spotify etc.).
And this second cable is super cheap 2m long cable bought in local supermarket for like 5 euro.
And guess what, I've never had any problems with 192khz NEVER.
I just don't understand what the hell all these companies are doing - you pay couple hundred bucks for what ? For nice shell ?

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #11,809 of 18,566
All these posts about problems with "audiophile" optical cables just show to me that these so called "audiophile" toslinks are just utter crap.
I'm using my unit with two optical inputs. One from hifiberry streamer (short about 50cm) but the second input is optical from my pc (when I want to play games watch youtube, spotify etc.).
And this second cable is super cheap 2m long cable bought in local supermarket for like 5 euro.
I just don't understand what the hell all these companies are doing - you pay couple hundred bucks for what ? For nice shell ?

you either hear it or you dont...if you dont great you save money.

for those like myself that do hear it the change may be worthwhile. I upgraded to the blue jeans toslink ($20 shipped) and preferred it. I have no need to try higher. On the other hand in my other system I had a modest nordost spdif rca cable and upgraded to top of line synergistic research spdif rca and was easily better. Perhaps spdif cable matters more not sure why (perhaps for some reason in my system was important or sounded good to me)

bear in mind there are many people lurking out there who also swear that cheap speaker wire and cheap power power cables are all you need.......I beg to differ there even more strongly. Even pass labs told me that their monoblocs are less needing better power cables. In theory that sounds good....I had an atmosphere power cable on it and sound good straight into wall and than tried a galileo and sounded like a different better amp. Not sure makes sense but to me was worth the upgrade.

and of course there is the audioscience review crowd who drink the kool aid that if you cannot measure the difference it does not exist. lucky for them so they can buy their cheap chinese dacs and plain wire and blissly believe that topping d90 is one of the best dacs avail.....never heard it but oddly there are tons available used......

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #11,810 of 18,566
you either hear it or you dont...if you dont great you save money.

for those like myself that do hear it the change may be worthwhile. I upgraded to the blue jeans toslink ($20 shipped) and preferred it. I have no need to try higher. On the other hand in my other system I had a modest nordost spdif rca cable and upgraded to top of line synergistic research spdif rca and was easily better. Perhaps spdif cable matters more not sure why (perhaps for some reason in my system was important or sounded good to me)

bear in mind there are many people lurking out there who also swear that cheap speaker wire and cheap power power cables are all you need.......I beg to differ there even more strongly. Even pass labs told me that their monoblocs are less needing better power cables. In theory that sounds good....I had an atmosphere power cable on it and sound good straight into wall and than tried a galileo and sounded like a different better amp. Not sure makes sense but to me was worth the upgrade.

and of course there is the audioscience review crowd who drink the kool aid that if you cannot measure the difference it does not exist. lucky for them so they can buy their cheap chinese dacs and plain wire and blissly believe that topping d90 is one of the best dacs avail.....never heard it but oddly there are tons available used......
I was not referring to sound quality.
Just basic technical "properties" of the cables.
And as for cables differences of course they are there - I mean "classic" copper/silver cables.

But for the optical cable ? To be honest I've never try any comparisons with toslink cables as I don't know any reasonable explanation why plastic cable could sound different.

edit. but who knows ? Maybe I'll try some of them in the future :)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #11,811 of 18,566
I was not referring to sound quality.
Just basic technical "properties" of the cables.
And as for cables differences of course they are there - I mean "classic" copper/silver cables.

But for the optical cable ? To be honest I've never try any comparisons with toslink cables as I don't know any reasonable explanation why plastic cable could sound different.

edit. but who knows ? Maybe I'll try some of them in the future :)

the optical cables do have different materials....some swear by glass others dont...different amounts.....the blue jeans is good compromise between makes no difference crowd and the esoteric pricey ones

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #11,812 of 18,566

Same here, a kabel direkt optical cable from amazon for a few £'s works perfectly at 192khz, never ever had any problems with them.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #11,813 of 18,566
Recently grabbed an Mscaler. Holding off for a bit before making a thorough, drawn out review or impressions. I've had it about a week or so now. Using it with a Hugo 2 and I honestly have to say that the difference/improvement is* subtle.. but it's a very interesting and valuable difference. The improvement in separation and imaging is what is very noticeable. Things are spaced out more which makes it easier to perceive/capture the detail if that makes sense. For example, I thought I heard something I never heard before in a well known song and quickly realized that it was there without the mscaler, but much much less noticeable. I've noticed the same thing in other songs. There also seems to be an improvement in the bass, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around so more thoughts on that later.

For the price, to my ears, it seems like a small/subtle improvement but definitely a much welcomed one. I have the Chord Dave coming in next week so it'll be interesting to see how much the mscaler scales (no pun intended lol) with it. Overall, happy with it but more thoughts to come.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #11,814 of 18,566
Recently grabbed an Mscaler. Holding off for a bit before making a thorough, drawn out review or impressions. I've had it about a week or so now. Using it with a Hugo 2 and I honestly have to say that the difference/improvement is* subtle.. but it's a very interesting and valuable difference. The improvement in separation and imaging is what is very noticeable. Things are spaced out more which makes it easier to perceive/capture the detail if that makes sense. For example, I thought I heard something I never heard before in a well known song and quickly realized that it was there without the mscaler, but much much less noticeable. I've noticed the same thing in other songs. There also seems to be an improvement in the bass, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around so more thoughts on that later.

For the price, to my ears, it seems like a small/subtle improvement but definitely a much welcomed one. I have the Chord Dave coming in next week so it'll be interesting to see how much the mscaler scales (no pun intended lol) with it. Overall, happy with it but more thoughts to come.
As a future buyer of MScaler to combine it with the Hugo tt2, I will wait with great interest for your conclusions!

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #11,815 of 18,566

Exactly small signals/details are more visible with the m scaler. It's like these details were always there, but you haven't realized them until you heard the m scaler.
When m scaled they are like really shinning through the rest of the music.
Dave has even more spooky small details "visibility".

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #11,816 of 18,566
As a future buyer of MScaler to combine it with the Hugo tt2, I will wait with great interest for your conclusions!

Definitely will follow up after some time with it and the Dave!

Exactly small signals/details are more visible with the m scaler. It's like these details were always there, but you haven't realized them until you heard the m scaler.
When m scaled they are like really shinning through the rest of the music.
Dave has even more spooky small details "visibility".

That's exactly it. And it just adds to the enjoyability of the music overall. It's hard to quantify but the difference is there. I'm hoping to be floored with the Dave and Mscaler combo, so fingers crossed!

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,817 of 18,566
... I would love to buy Dave, but unfortunately it was too expensive for me, so I bought the tt2.

In a few days I am waiting for the streamer Auralic G 1, which I will use as an end poind for roon / tidal / qobuz. I have M Scaler left to "close".

I hope it is worth the money !!

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #11,818 of 18,566

That's exactly it. And it just adds to the enjoyability of the music overall. It's hard to quantify but the difference is there. I'm hoping to be floored with the Dave and Mscaler combo, so fingers crossed!

The Dave is a big step up from the Hugo 2. You hear a much fuller holographic sound than the Hugo 2. Just more musical and euphoric. The mscaler then expands the depth and tightens up the bass while giving so much realism to entire spectrum. Pretty easy to hear on the Dave when mscaler is 1 million taps vs passthru.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #11,819 of 18,566
The Dave is a big step up from the Hugo 2. You hear a much fuller holographic sound than the Hugo 2. Just more musical and euphoric. The mscaler then expands the depth and tightens up the bass while giving so much realism to entire spectrum. Pretty easy to hear on the Dave when mscaler is 1 million taps vs passthru.

That's really good to hear. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Definitely will report back after I have some time with the two.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #11,820 of 18,566
I think most of the magic comes from the MScaler and the 1 million taps and most noticeable on acoustic music and voice ...
if you want an example of what the MScaler does look up The Beatles “Esher Tapes” that was included in the 2018 White Album re release ...
demo’s recorded on a 4 track tape recorder ... not a soaring studio album but if you want to know just how real the MScaler can make your system sound .. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back