Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #11,657 of 18,990
As probably many before me, I today upgraded from my Hugo 2 to the TT2. I am positively shocked what a difference it makes. I was about to sell my Focal Utopias because I was not entirely sure about the pairing with the Hugo 2. But at least to my ears, the synergy with the TT2 is vastly better. Warmer and yet more detailed. Everything feels so 3D. Today is a good day :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #11,658 of 18,990
As probably many before me, I today upgraded from my Hugo 2 to the TT2. I am positively shocked what a difference it makes. I was about to sell my Focal Utopias because I was not entirely sure about the pairing with the Hugo 2. But at least to my ears, the synergy with the TT2 is vastly better. Warmer and yet more detailed. Everything feels so 3D. Today is a good day :)
Congratulations RobinTim! Today you’ve entered the lofty peaks of Mt. Olympus when it come to elite headphone listening. I started using a Chord Qutest DAC, but after a short time I went up the ladder and traded it for a Hugo TT2, and I’ve never looked back. I also have a pair of Focal Utopia’s, I think they and the TT2 are a great match. Are you listening direct from the TT2, or are you using a dedicated hp amplifier?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #11,659 of 18,990
Congratulations RobinTim! Today you’ve entered the lofty peaks of Mt. Olympus when it come to elite headphone listening. I started using a Chord Qutest DAC, but after a short time I went up the ladder and traded it for a Hugo TT2, and I’ve never looked back. I also have a pair of Focal Utopia’s, I think they and the TT2 are a great match. Are listening direct from the TT2, or are you using a dedicated hp amplifier?

Cheers bpcans! My only fear is that after this revelation Dave (2?) is the next logical step (in a few month or years perhaps). My significant other will not be pleased.

To answer your question: I am using it directly, no Amp in between. As far as I understand Rob Watts, it would distort the signal. Any tracks you find partivularly impressive with the Hugo TT2 / Utopia combination that I should listen to?

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #11,660 of 18,990
Cheers bpcans! My only fear is that after this revelation Dave (2?) is the next logical step (in a few month or years perhaps). My significant other will not be pleased.

To answer your question: I am using it directly, no Amp in between. As far as I understand Rob Watts, it would distort the signal. Any tracks you find partivularly impressive with the Hugo TT2 / Utopia combination that I should listen to?
Well RobinTim, all I can advise to you is that you start saving your money, because the Focal Utopia + TT2 combo really benefits from adding a Hugo Scaler. I use a Woo Audio WA22 fully balanced hp amp in my listening chain. Direct from the TT2 with the Utopias really sound great! But the addition of this tube amplifier takes the experience to another level completely.

Attachments

• 3781F4E0-71C8-47B8-9FCA-034B7CAA1EC4.jpeg
    3781F4E0-71C8-47B8-9FCA-034B7CAA1EC4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • A2CC2311-421E-400A-8C7E-AA2A5F122007.jpeg
    A2CC2311-421E-400A-8C7E-AA2A5F122007.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #11,661 of 18,990
Dear Sirs rkt31; redwingnine; Lgn3: I am very grateful for your interesting comments. since this query is too common in Chord Hugo TT2 users THANKS TO ALL
I will add my 2c, because you are correct that this type of question does crop up a lot on Chord threads.
I remember when I first had the Mojo, and I first compared usb input with optical.
I found that optical sounded slightly dull compared to usb (which sounded more alive), so initially thought that usb was the best input.
Then i had the opportunity to hear similar music (a choir, plus a lute, performed in a church) played live, and quickly realised that it sounded slightly dull, just like the optical input.
There is no right/wrong answer.
Test all the TT2 inputs, then go and listen to live music, and you will discover which signal input you want to use in the future.
:relaxed:

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #11,662 of 18,990
Well RobinTim, all I can advise to you is that you start saving your money, because the Focal Utopia + TT2 combo really benefits from adding a Hugo Scaler. I use a Woo Audio WA22 fully balanced hp amp in my listening chain. Direct from the TT2 with the Utopias really sound great! But the addition of this tube amplifier takes the experience to another level completely.

Very nice setup. The MScaler would be the logical next step for sure. Hey, if anybody near Berlin wants to part with theirs I might jump on it.

How would you describe the benefits of the Woo Audio WA22 in the chain? Would it take away a bit from the clarity?

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #11,663 of 18,990
I will add my 2c, because you are correct that this type of question does crop up a lot on Chord threads.
I remember when I first had the Mojo, and I first compared usb input with optical.
I found that optical sounded slightly dull compared to usb (which sounded more alive), so initially thought that usb was the best input.
Then i had the opportunity to hear similar music (a choir, plus a lute, performed in a church) played live, and quickly realised that it sounded slightly dull, just like the optical input.
There is no right/wrong answer.
Test all the TT2 inputs, then go and listen to live music, and you will discover which signal input you want to use in the future.
:relaxed:
Estimated,
Your appreciation is very true, follow your advice.
THANKS A LOT

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #11,664 of 18,990
Very nice setup. The MScaler would be the logical next step for sure. Hey, if anybody near Berlin wants to part with theirs I might jump on it.

How would you describe the benefits of the Woo Audio WA22 in the chain? Would it take away a bit from the clarity?
RobinTim, the clarity is already there coming from the TT2/HMS combo, the WA22 just adds more warmth and body to the music, plus some increased soundstage to my listening experience. This setup took months of auditioning, research, which includes reading input from other members on head-fi, to get where I am right now. Thanks for the compliment sir.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #11,665 of 18,990
Right now I am testing the TT2 with my Clears. A few of the songs that I loved with the Utopia were a bit duller sounding to my ears, if that makes sense. Now I have arrived at "When we dance" by Sting with Royal Philharmonical Concert Orchestra and it puts a big smile on my face.

Anybody else experienced the TT2 with Clears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back