Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 14, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #12,931 of 18,991
XI Audio Broadway - 1,5W/32Ohm, no data for 50 Ohm loads, but it would be significantly less
Depends on synergy here, for example Broadway is highly recommended for Abyss Diana V2 headphones, as it was voiced for it. So from pure power output perspective Hugo TT2 should be enough, but it you audition them side by side, you may prefer one over the other.

Regarding power output for higher resistance, it it not always true that an amp outputs more at 32 Ohm than at 50 Ohm. Depends on the design and power curve (look at Violectric HPA V281 for example). But I generally agree with you on that it is safe to assume if the manufacturer did not specify the power output on a higher load, it is safe to assume it will be less.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #12,935 of 18,991
Depends on synergy here, for example Broadway is highly recommended for Abyss Diana V2 headphones, as it was voiced for it. So from pure power output perspective Hugo TT2 should be enough, but it you audition them side by side, you may prefer one over the other.
Yes, synergy is mostly what I'm wondering about.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #12,936 of 18,991
I absolutely love my chord hugo 2 and have had it for nearly 3 years now. It pairs well with my Focal Utopia, though I'm wondering if its time to try something new.
WhiteFox01, I went from a Chord Qutest to upgrading to an HMS/TT2 pairing plus a Woo WA22 with my Focal Utopia’s, and I shouldn’t be happier because I’m still thinking that adding a pair Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s would be a good planar magnetic hp compliment to my system.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #12,937 of 18,991
Yes. Chord have to protect themselves within reason.
I believe that @Rob Watts was right to state that it was possible to direct drive speakers under certain circumstances.
Sadly some owners tried to use the TT2 to direct drive speakers, using cables with incorrectly wired connectors, resulting in damage to their TT2.
Ah, ah "Paul 2Qute" Choo
So called "Home theatre" is in my opinion a trap and equipment made for it has caused immense clutter and wasted vast amounts of money while providing poorer sound than a good 2 channel setup. You do NOT need a center channel. If you have 2 speakers set up properly they will provide a perfectly stable and intelligible center image. It will take some doing to beat what you get with 2 channels by adding a third speaker and it's associated amplifier. It will most probably make the sound worse.

Any good active monitor from a well respected brand should do just fine. If you want something truly amazing, aim for something like the the Focal Solo6 Be. I would love a pair.
Being an "old head" who went from stereo to Dolby surround to 5.1. The discreet center channel cannot be replaced by stereo. You can hear it sure, does it work, yes. Is it the same nope, not even close. Encoding is different. It may have to do with what is sent to the L & R channels But this is off topic.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #12,938 of 18,991
That is why I said you should use 2.0 audio, not 5.1. Another good reason becomes apparent if you count the number of ears you have. Much as the makers of speakers, processors, cables and amplifiers may dislike it the fact is that you have 2.0 ears, not 5.1 or 11.1 or something else. Even animals who are highly dependent on their hearing for their survival make do with 2 ears.
Most animals, unlike most humans, can move their ears. Therefore they hear in 3D. FYI

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #12,939 of 18,991
Most animals, unlike most humans, can move their ears. Therefore they hear in 3D. FYI
I see you quoted the wrong person...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #12,941 of 18,991
WhiteFox01, I went from a Chord Qutest to upgrading to an HMS/TT2 pairing plus a Woo WA22 with my Focal Utopia’s, and I shouldn’t be happier because I’m still thinking that adding a pair Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s would be a good planar magnetic hp compliment to my system.
I recommend Meze Empyrean's. There is quite the dialogue happening concering Abyss of late. I believe the ASR forum reviewed them and its a storm.

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #12,942 of 18,991
Measurements mean nothing to me..it's how they sound that matters

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #12,943 of 18,991
Measurements mean nothing to me..it's how they sound that matters
The most significant part of the measurement process is basically “unmeasurable”. The movement of sound through the ear canal to the brain where it is interpreted is complex and full of variables that differ from person to person.
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/how-do-we-hear

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #12,944 of 18,991
I recommend Meze Empyrean's. There is quite the dialogue happening concering Abyss of late. I believe the ASR forum reviewed them and its a storm.
The Empyrean are a beautifully crafted headphone, but do not deliver in the sound department relative to their gorgeous build. The Abyss are in a completely different league.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #12,945 of 18,991
I have not heard the 1266 TC but I just sold my Empy's that I bought new nearly 2 years ago. Great comfort and very well built headphones.
I then bough the HM Susvara and found I didn't use my Empy's. I loved them for a long time but the clarity and detail of the susvara ruined me for other hp. I also have a pair of VO that get no time. The susvara are that good. The 1266 TC may be better, I don't know. I mans opinion and YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back