Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 7, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #15,796 of 18,991
@ra990, so the reason that my headphone amplifier, Chord TT2 and M Scaler, Roon Nucleus, AQ Niagara power conditioner, and my three linear power supply units have rubber feet on them is because someone will inevitably spill a drink?
It's an added bonus, but it's also to protect the finish. You wouldn't want to scratch up your stuff.

I'll tell you what though, they're certainly not there to add more bass.

EDIT: Also heat dissipation

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #15,797 of 18,991
It's an added bonus, but it's also to protect the finish. You wouldn't want to scratch up your stuff.

I'll tell you what though, they're certainly not there to add more bass.
Putting the rubber feet on my Niagra caused me a lot of anxiety cause they kept falling off. Now I suffer from audio ptsd.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #15,798 of 18,991
@bpcans I use the stock Utopia headphone cable, stock TT2 power supply and blue jeans BNC cable (Belden RG6) because I needed a custom length. I once bought a second hand moon audio silver dragon for LCD3 because I needed a custom length and I couldn’t hear any difference from the stock cable. Personally, I would rather spend money on dac/amp/headphones where I will 100% hear a difference.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #15,799 of 18,991
I’ll confess to having fooled myself into hearing things that were not there before. I like to A/B test system changes and remember more than once, convinced of a change only to realize after there was none because I was still listening on the same source or input. Luckily those mistakes were not that costly, other than disappointment in wasted time/effort and a reminder I’m human and impressionable.

I will also confess I don’t care if you believe wearing a copper bracelet cures your arthritis…good for you, placebo is a real psychological effect, all the more power to you…I’m not trying to convert you. It’s s a problem when those myths are spoken around here like facts to newcomers seeking advice and apt to make unwise financial decisions.

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #15,801 of 18,991
"Yet this is a very simple item to use. Just place one to three disc on top of your preamp, CD transport, DA converter, turntable etc, and listen for the wonderful change in your hi- fi system. When this disc is excited by any external acoustic energy, it will resonate throughout the entire audible spectrum, thus overriding unwanted harmonic distortions and at the same enriching the musical reproduction". I quote from SHUN MOOK. Think freely.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #15,802 of 18,991
I’ll confess to having fooled myself into hearing things that were not there before. I like to A/B test system changes and remember more than once, convinced of a change only to realize after there was none because I was still listening on the same source or input. Luckily those mistakes were not that costly, other than disappointment in wasted time/effort and a reminder I’m human and impressionable.

I will also confess I don’t care if you believe wearing a copper bracelet cures your arthritis…good for you, placebo is a real psychological effect, all the more power to you…I’m not trying to convert you. It’s s a problem when those myths are spoken around here like facts to newcomers seeking advice and apt to make unwise financial decisions.
If I had only ten "likes" to give per day, this post would get them all.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #15,803 of 18,991
Feet and stabilization comes from the old days where vibration produces unwanted harmonics in tubes and old analog components. With digital gear, it mostly raises the component so when you inevitably spill your drink, it doesn't touch the gear. Pay what you want for that.
Some solid state components are slightly microphonic. It is not just tube systems.

However I admit that I do not use any isolation under any of my components in my loudspeaker system but perhaps I should try some.

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #15,804 of 18,991
Some solid state components are slightly microphonic. It is not just tube systems.

However I admit that I do not use any isolation under any of my components in my loudspeaker system but perhaps I should try some.
At present my tt2 and mscaler need to sit on my k30. The addition of isolation feet has significantly reduced the heat of the mscaler and tt2. The k30 remains cool even without the feet.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #15,807 of 18,991
This feet talk is getting a bit pettifogging, what are our feet for? The feet on electronics are for the same thing.
Your electronics can walk?!

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #15,808 of 18,991
I just posted this on the Riviera AIC-10 thread. So I figured I would share it here also.

I just received the High Fidelity Reveal RCA interconnects today. They are there entry level interconnects They still have to burn in but man these cables brought something special out my setup. Testing out with the Susvaras now. I can say for sure cables make a huge difference. More people need to look into these interconnects. There I some talk on the Dave Forums.

Next is the Wave High Fidelity Storm BNCs or I may run the High Fidelity Revel BNC.

Attachments

• 38767450-2F20-4201-A3DD-9E81B8EFA86F.jpeg
    38767450-2F20-4201-A3DD-9E81B8EFA86F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B71114C-538C-485A-AED9-8E5C27FE329F.jpeg
    1B71114C-538C-485A-AED9-8E5C27FE329F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #15,810 of 18,991
I had a slight free accidental upgrade with my TT2, with TT2-speaker adapters. Or rather, I removed a downgrade.

SORRY- long post I know.

I had been using my TT2 driving speakers for a while. Have used it like this on and off. Anyway long story short the adapter cables that I made were worrying me. One of the contacts was not ideal. Inside the RCA the screw that held the cable in place no longer worked. Occasionally the wire slipped out. No worry because I insulated the inside of the plugs fully. No accidental shorting was possible.

TLDR:- I think the main issue was that my cables inside the RCA plugs were not soldered. Like the earth pole literally had copper from the wire wrapped around it, and pressure applied by using the RCA sleeve.

I'd never considered that it would be quite detrimantal to sound, and figured it might have a slight effect. Anyway since soldering inside XLRs is easier than inside RCA, I made those. I soldered some XLR single-ended plugs to my el-cheapo adapter wire.

I didn't think anything of it. However after a few tracks I felt outright it seemed more focused and deep in some treble sounds, if a bit bright. Then I started thinking it seemed more focused because it's brighter. I tried out some very familiar tracks and got worried. (I started thinking maybe this is why folk say go XLR balanced for more bass.)

On about day two of listening I was panicking at the brightness, and what it had done to familar music. I decided make some more cables with my adapter wire, and try solder to RCA. However this gave me the same (obvious) result as the XLR. ... Overall though I was thinking terms like 'some harshness'. It was really confusing because the TT2 always sounded great through and amp, and when using speaker-adapters before.

Day three and some tracks sounded somewhat uncomfortable. As you can imagine I panicked and started to think I must change my wire. (I need some quality wire but that's another story.)

Last night I shut down my system to the following thought. Maybe it's having used solder that actually improved the signal from the DAC, (well duh I suppose). As always upgrades with Chord DACs with me, need time to adjust.

This morning I fet a shift toward better. Over the couple of albums I listened to today, I think my theory about upgrade was right. I feel to be shoe-horning closer to hearing, balance in sound and more comfort in the tonal balance. This adjustement has happened with me with every Chord DAC upgrade.

Make no mistake - this was no insignificant improvement.

E.g the track Don't Delete the Kisses by Wolf Alice. It always had some muddiness: I could never quite get it 100% clear. I love the track; absolutely love it. I sometimes play it for an hour or two. The tones and 'my whatever perception of purple colour' to the music, was always addicting. .... However now it's way more crystal. That slight muddines is all unpacked, and each timbre strand comes though on its own. Some stuff in other albums sound in ways I never heard before.

Luckily any slight muddiness in tracks has vanished: while brighter tracks don't sound brighter - they sound more vibrant. Vocals are another step closer, at least.

There is still a touch of sharp, but likely it will go as I adjust to the upgrade. Or maybe it's what folk say about adding an M-Scaler adds warmth and more detail. Although I could seriously use some quality wire for my TT2-speaker adapters. I need at least some UP-OCC stuff, and with a neutral tone. That will help with timbre over the common-all-graden wire I still use, which likely causes some deadening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back