Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 11, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #18,286 of 18,991
HE6 and Susvara are the exceptions and the extra power/current from the balanced output will probably sound better.

Let us know when you have tested?
I tried Susvara out of the balanced out after finding an adapter and still preferred the hp out. It sounded a hair better on the hp out. There’s just a sense of clarity the hp out has that the balanced out doesn’t. I listen to Susvara at about -8 at the loudest. Doesn’t clip or anything, any louder would start to be painful for me

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #18,287 of 18,991
Ah yes I forget there is only one way in this sub forum, no discussion regarding comparisons with other DACs because apparently if they aren't designed by Mr Watts then they aren't even worth talking about and going against the grain by simply suggesting for someone to (try) a dedicated power amplifier with their speakers or headphones!

You know what, I don't know why I bother. people are right about chord fans they have completely lost it, just keep circle jer

Why do you say this? LS50 is well-known for loving power.
Musickid has put a lot of time , effort and cost, (although it sounds like he is getting tremendous value for money) to achieve the sound he is now very much enjoying.......Forget the numbers, it works and he is very happy. The thread moves on. Enjoy the tunes musickid, thats all that matters.......

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #18,288 of 18,991
i have tt2 volume on minus 1 and the room is filled with sound lol......many thanks Mg

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #18,289 of 18,991
After my new subwoofer//speaker set up i am sadly unable to fit in my wave stream bnc cables in the space i have available. I've put them up for sale at half price. Please check classifieds or message me if anyone is interested. Thanks MK.

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #18,290 of 18,991
So since few weeks ago I officially leaved the Chord Team. Changed my TT2 to Cen Grand DSDAC Deluxe.

Nothing was wrong with the TT2 (had them for few years), still sound sublime. It's just that DSDAC suit my needs more (fuller and smoother notes) and deliver better technicalities in soma area as well (micro detail, texture, and soundstage).

TT2 still hold the position as one of the best price/performance device in high end realm (thanks to its awesome headphone out!).

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #18,291 of 18,991
The website states 5 year warranty and the manual states 3 years. It would be nice if Chord could clear up the confusion.

I was searching the thread and I couldn't find the conclusive answer (sorry if it has and my searching skills are subpar). Has it been established yet? Does the TT2 enjoy a 3 or a 5-year warranty? Asking as I am thinking of listing my perfect TT2 for sale and I'd like to know what to disclose in terms of remaining warranty.

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #18,292 of 18,991
So since few weeks ago I officially leaved the Chord Team. Changed my TT2 to Cen Grand DSDAC Deluxe.

Nothing was wrong with the TT2 (had them for few years), still sound sublime. It's just that DSDAC suit my needs more (fuller and smoother notes) and deliver better technicalities in soma area as well (micro detail, texture, and soundstage).

TT2 still hold the position as one of the best price/performance device in high end realm (thanks to its awesome headphone out!).
@TheMiddleSky congrats on new toy :) I understand why one could switch from TT2 to another dac. Did the same already few years ago when switched to Rockna WaveLight. TT2 has been the first so musicial dac I had, but the smoothness and richness of WL made me switch. The only difference is that since I've already M-Scaler I kept it as a desktop headphone system. Rockna was simply to large to fit comfortably on my desk contrary to TT2.

From limited time I had with Cen Grand dac it was a step too smooth for me but this is only the matter of taste and the last mile one choose to follow. Enjoy music!

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #18,293 of 18,991
@TheMiddleSky congrats on new toy :) I understand why one could switch from TT2 to another dac. Did the same already few years ago when switched to Rockna WaveLight. TT2 has been the first so musicial dac I had, but the smoothness and richness of WL made me switch. The only difference is that since I've already M-Scaler I kept it as a desktop headphone system. Rockna was simply to large to fit comfortably on my desk contrary to TT2.

From limited time I had with Cen Grand dac it was a step too smooth for me but this is only the matter of taste and the last mile one choose to follow. Enjoy music!

Yeah actually cen grand is the unexpected pleasant surprise for me. I know that from TT2, I want an upgrade DAC in term of resolution, soundstage, and with even smoother presentation. I thought Wavelight was the answer, but turns out it wasn't. Then there is Wavedream Signature Edition (even though the testing was with speaker system), definitely a great sounding DAC, but also come with much higher price tag. So Cen Grand it is.

I was searching the thread and I couldn't find the conclusive answer (sorry if it has and my searching skills are subpar). Has it been established yet? Does the TT2 enjoy a 3 or a 5-year warranty? Asking as I am thinking of listing my perfect TT2 for sale and I'd like to know what to disclose in terms of remaining warranty.
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugott2

The official web clearly stated 3 years warranty. A little bit tricky to find the info though, you have to look at the right side of the page, above the Download secton.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #18,294 of 18,991
Hi. I have Qutest and like my headphone amp. I’ve considered upgrading to a tt2 but I’ve seen a reviewer suggest that the maximum benefit from the tt2 comes from the synergy between the dac and the amp/preamp on the tt2. If one were to just use rca outs on a tt2 to an amplifier, is there still a significant quality improvement going from qutest to tt2. Anyone with personal experience on this?

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #18,295 of 18,991
Hi. I have Qutest and like my headphone amp. I’ve considered upgrading to a tt2 but I’ve seen a reviewer suggest that the maximum benefit from the tt2 comes from the synergy between the dac and the amp/preamp on the tt2. If one were to just use rca outs on a tt2 to an amplifier, is there still a significant quality improvement going from qutest to tt2. Anyone with personal experience on this?
@Fried dr TT2 has different sound signature as a dac than qutest and is more musical with a bit of warm sound. TT2 interal headamp section is transparent with great volume control.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #18,296 of 18,991
I use the TT2 a few ways;

1. DAC mode into preamp
2. AMP mode using is as DAC/pre into power amp
3. Headphone amp
4. DAC mode into headphone amp

I owned the Qutest immediately prior to buying a TT2 and had both in-house for a few weeks to compare. The TT2 does have a fuller bottom end, but it’s also much more resolving and produces a larger and deeper stage. Its ability to separate out different threads within the music is noticeably superior to the Qutest.

Using it as a DAC/pre straight into a Pass Labs XA25 that in turn drives Focal Kanta 2 and a REL S510 sub, it’s wonderfully clear and fluid. The spatial cues are at times a bit astonishing.
When I flick it into DAC mode and run it through a Linear Tube Audio MZ3 (as preamp to the XA25) I get more body to the sound at the expense of a few spatial cues, which tells me the MZ3 is rolling off the high end a touch, but it’s a different flavour I like.
Used as a headphone amp with Utopia 2022 the detail and resolution is bloody lovely and there’s a pristine quality to things that really enjoy.
Back to DAC mode feeding the MZ3 as preamp, again it’s more body to the sound but a bit less of the ambient detail. It’s nice to have the option to flesh out the timbre of instruments sometimes.

I’ll change between using it in DAC mode and AMP mode sometimes just for having something “different” to listen to. I think it staves off the upgrade bug a bit. But I will say that as a preamp it’s super resolving and transparent without shouting at you. I really like it, but acknowledge there are other options, too.

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #18,297 of 18,991
It’s finally here. 🙂
IMG_1204.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #18,299 of 18,991
Congrats!
I see youre running your HP straight out of TT2 :smile_phones:
@Reactcore I do the same when I am looking for TT2 transparency and clarity, while for me it eventually it becomes fatiguing at some point and then I need to switch to an external amp. At that point I do not care if it adds distortion or not: it just let me enjoy music. I think that AuroraSound HEADA and Feliks Envy were a lot better and more important add-ons to TT2 than M-Scaler.

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #18,300 of 18,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back