Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 29, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #18,631 of 18,907
So I bought my TT2 and MScaler 5 years ago in January 2019. I can hardly believe it's already been five years. :L3000:

Datapoint: they have both been constantly on the entire time (except for a few vacations and/or power outages) and both still going strong. I work from home, so I tend to use them a lot during the day.

I've had zero issues with either of them except for the 'normal' occasional bitrate sync issue with the TT2, which is largely not an issue if you leave it on all the time.

BTW, I use the remote to put the TT2 on mute when I'm not using it, mainly just to turn off the main volume LED.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #18,632 of 18,907
It all depends on preference.
I do not want to use any computer with my audio gear hence the streamer.
It is also more convenient to use a dedicated streamer and much less fussy than making numerous settings and software changes.
But it does not matter how you get your music it only matter that you enjoy it.
I went for convenience.
But with Chord DACs you never stop tinkering and everything makes a difference.
Never were truer words spoken, G....and, as is always the case, different systems will deliver (sometimes confusingly!) different final results, even when all sharing a good few similar components. For example, in my own case, balanced out from TT2/mscaler to my Ferrum OOR/Hypsos combo suffers no loss whatsoever of the Chords' wonderful qualities - the exact opposite in fact... especially compared to RCA out.

For years now I've tried to maximise the Chord combo's performance as much as possible, from 'clean' mains supply thru ALL power and signal cables (including headphone) DIY'd using multi-gauge Neotech Teflon coated UP-OCC solid silver and copper wires in dual configuration, and which would be impossibly expensive commercially! When my Antipodes DX-as-source system outperformed my friend's Zen MK3/Dave/mscaler with Wavestorm cables system I thought I had reached journey's end...and this was before the Ferrums arrived. The latter (for me) transformed everything, as mentioned previously. However, I wasn't prepared for the shock of my beloved Antipodes being left for dust by first changing source to Denon's DCD 1600 NE (SA)CD/DVD-R player, then their flagship DCD A110...both as transport. The leap in sound delivery has left me unable to return to the otherwise admitted virtues of streaming/SSD playback...no competition IMHO.

I can only surmise that I have been extremely fortunate in (finally) managing to achieve wonderful (perfect?!) synergy throughout the entire system, something that can only too easily be derailed by anything not 'playing the game' somewhere in said system(s)...luck being far more predominant in our search for audio nirvana than often realised IMHO lol - especially if relying too much on the experiences of others! :wink::)

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #18,633 of 18,907
Never were truer words spoken, G....and, as is always the case, different systems will deliver (sometimes confusingly!) different final results, even when all sharing a good few similar components. For example, in my own case, balanced out from TT2/mscaler to my Ferrum OOR/Hypsos combo suffers no loss whatsoever of the Chords' wonderful qualities - the exact opposite in fact... especially compared to RCA out.

For years now I've tried to maximise the Chord combo's performance as much as possible, from 'clean' mains supply thru ALL power and signal cables (including headphone) DIY'd using multi-gauge Neotech Teflon coated UP-OCC solid silver and copper wires in dual configuration, and which would be impossibly expensive commercially! When my Antipodes DX-as-source system outperformed my friend's Zen MK3/Dave/mscaler with Wavestorm cables system I thought I had reached journey's end...and this was before the Ferrums arrived. The latter (for me) transformed everything, as mentioned previously. However, I wasn't prepared for the shock of my beloved Antipodes being left for dust by first changing source to Denon's DCD 1600 NE (SA)CD/DVD-R player, then their flagship DCD A110...both as transport. The leap in sound delivery has left me unable to return to the otherwise admitted virtues of streaming/SSD playback...no competition IMHO.

I can only surmise that I have been extremely fortunate in (finally) managing to achieve wonderful (perfect?!) synergy throughout the entire system, something that can only too easily be derailed by anything not 'playing the game' somewhere in said system(s)...luck being far more predominant in our search for audio nirvana than often realised IMHO lol - especially if relying too much on the experiences of others! :wink::)
Just out of curiousity, do Wavestorm cables between the mscaler really, but I mean REALLY make such that of a difference compared to decent shielded bnc cables, or is it subtle?

I mean in a sence, if you buy a decent pair of headphones, and instead of wave cables spend that on a higher level headphone I can imagine that would give a more huge difference wouldn’t it? (I mean in a case you are already using decent bnc cables)

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #18,634 of 18,907
Well, I compared the stock Chord BNC cables to Audioquest Digital Coax Carbon and then moved to Wave Storm Reference. I upgraded to the Wave cables after putting in the Farad Super3 power supplies for both the TT2 and the MScaler and after introducing the Niagara power conditioner and upgrading the power cables.
With all that tinkering I found the biggest gain to be the Farad's and the Wave cables. In fact the Wave Storm Reference got me closest to the audiophile realm than all the other modifications combined.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #18,635 of 18,907
The first noticeable gain was however replacing the stock Utopia cable with the Forza cable. That was the point I realized that there is room for improvement and that is where the journey started (Bluesound Node 2i - Chord TT2 - Focal Utopia).

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #18,636 of 18,907
RS2 T

We are really fortunate to afford to listen to good music on such good equipment. The reason I joined the forum was to find knowledge from peers, information that would allow me to improve my music reproduction system.
I had a very similar experience with a CD transport, the Project CD Box RS2 T, going optical into the MScaler. I was instantly stunned and got goosebumbs. I was left speechless by the complete darkness and clarity with which the music played....from nowhere. Unfortunately I had to return it because it was skipping a lot even from new CDs. I never dared to try another one but what you said reignited that old flame....you make me think really hard about a CD transport/player.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #18,637 of 18,907
I noticed more improvement cleaning up the USB from my computer to MScaler, along with upgrading the BNC cables from MScaler to TT2, than I did with any power tweaks.

I used to use the Wave cables but now use the Wireworld Gold Starlight 8 (pure silver) BNCs. They sound the same to me but are not as heavy and unwieldy, lowering any risk of breaking the connectors, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #18,639 of 18,907
I noticed more improvement cleaning up the USB from my computer to MScaler, along with upgrading the BNC cables from MScaler to TT2, than I did with any power tweaks.

I used to use the Wave cables but now use the Wireworld Gold Starlight 8 (pure silver) BNCs. They sound the same to me but are not as heavy and unwieldy, lowering any risk of breaking the connectors, etc.
I use wireworld too, not the silver one’s just the one under that, starlight I think

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #18,640 of 18,907

How did you clean up the usb from your computer?

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #18,641 of 18,907
How did you clean up the usb from your computer?

I started with a Supra USB cable with an Audioquest Jitterbug in line. Now I use the Titan Audio Titanis, which sounds great, but is unfortunately no longer made.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #18,642 of 18,907
Just out of curiousity, do Wavestorm cables between the mscaler really, but I mean REALLY make such that of a difference compared to decent shielded bnc cables, or is it subtle?

I mean in a sence, if you buy a decent pair of headphones, and instead of wave cables spend that on a higher level headphone I can imagine that would give a more huge difference wouldn’t it? (I mean in a case you are already using decent bnc cables)
Hi j...I'd say all depends on what you call "decent" cables. From my own experience - and such as @Mediahound 's, I'm sure similar gains can be had for less cost (not to mention more user-friendly lol! :wink:). However, I personally would advise careful research into their likely pedigree - viz the quality of wire used (preferably mono crystal OCC, silver if possible); the level of shielding, and their basic construction. Re shielding and construction, and after years of trials, I myself would much prefer using the dual construction method to help suppress EMI/RFI effects (as per hyper expensive SynergisticResearch cables) rather than the cumbersome use of multiple ferrite chokes...but YMMV. Many would indeed agree that perhaps spending a good bit more on better headphones is more cost effective, but these still benefit from the best cables one can afford. As usual, much will surely depend upon one's purse...not to mention the degree of scrutiny from 'She who must be obeyed' lol!! :wink:

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #18,643 of 18,907
We are really fortunate to afford to listen to good music on such good equipment. The reason I joined the forum was to find knowledge from peers, information that would allow me to improve my music reproduction system.
I had a very similar experience with a CD transport, the Project CD Box RS2 T, going optical into the MScaler. I was instantly stunned and got goosebumbs. I was left speechless by the complete darkness and clarity with which the music played....from nowhere. Unfortunately I had to return it because it was skipping a lot even from new CDs. I never dared to try another one but what you said reignited that old flame....you make me think really hard about a CD transport/player.
Yes G, fortunate indeed to afford the Chord gear, despite those who espouse R2R as the only way to go lol! :wink: But I do firmly believe that TT2 & mscaler especially benefit greatly from mono crystal OCC based cables throughout the system...preferably silver :).

Glad you too had a similar experience with a really good CD transport as source, but sad it didn't behave. I still can't believe what a top grade CD player/transport can deliver over and above otherwise highly respected (and expensive!) alternative sources, despite having what I thought were pretty good players in the past (such as Audiolab gear). And although I'm really impressed with Denon's flagship (Anniversary Edition) DCD A110 model, their more modest 1600 NE wasn't far behind after tweaking to match the £1000 more 2500 NE's (digital) output by using adhesive vibration/resonance deadening mat and upgraded HiFiTuning fuses, along with isolating the analog section for purely digital out use. Mind you, they are rather large beasts!!

ps Will probably be putting the 1600 NE on ebay in the near future.

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #18,644 of 18,907
Are you using the digital output from the Denon into the Mscaler/TT2 or anolog out?

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #18,645 of 18,907
For those using a streamer > DAC. Is there consensus on the best way to connect them?

As a cheapish experiment, I've bought a Supra USB cable which will connect my Mac to my MScaler. Currently using a £10 UGreen one from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back