Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #18,646 of 18,907
Are you using the digital output from the Denon into the Mscaler/TT2 or anolog out?
Coax digital out every time (with high spec DIY cable), even though most of the upgrades to the £3000 A110 were in the analog circuitry lol! Madness in the eyes of some to use it 'just' as transport, but digital out circuit is so good that, along with (albeit sometimes temperamental) DVD-R handling for hires tracks - a must for me personally, I chose the Denons over anything else higher end. Mind you, Denon's 'Ultra AL 32 processing' and quad Burr Brown DAC in the A110 are almost up to the TT2, and so must represent excellent value for money. But with TT2 also acting as (remote volume controlled) pre amp to my Ferrum combo, the Chords are staying put...forever!! :L3000:

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #18,647 of 18,907
For those using a streamer > DAC. Is there consensus on the best way to connect them?...
I2S seems promising but no Chords.

I would not try to outsmart the situation, just try optical a week, then coax a week, compare.

It can be ambiguous. First I had no difference (to speak of) optic vs coax. Then I changed power setup (own AC line + better mains earthing + Puritan filter) then I found optical better than coax. Maybe I'm fouling myself idk. Anyhow, comparing is all you have to 'the proof is in the pudding'.

Laptop (and phone) as streamer over usb out:
I like how even the cheap Douk U2 cleans up usb to spdif, especially optical, no high upsampling though. I've no experience with SCR-DX that allows rigorous upsampling.
Also liked much what Singxer SU6 did with usb to spidf, but Holo Red for a few bucks more has streamer and power supply inside and rocking very well.

My 2 cents..

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #18,648 of 18,907
Please do link it.

I find it always interesting if something changes behaviors in the real world in ways basic electronic theory fails to predict.

If lossy ferrites in a common mode application lead nevertheless to resonances I'd like to understand the mechanism.

Thor
The mechanism is that the impedance of each end of the cable is different and that this varies with frequency. With mismatching the cable is effectively "tuned"...

Many digital cables have a pair of ferrites on them, one at each end, specifically to minimise mismatched impedances.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #18,649 of 18,907
So I bought my TT2 and MScaler 5 years ago in January 2019. I can hardly believe it's already been five years. :L3000:

Datapoint: they have both been constantly on the entire time (except for a few vacations and/or power outages) and both still going strong. I work from home, so I tend to use them a lot during the day.

I've had zero issues with either of them except for the 'normal' occasional bitrate sync issue with the TT2, which is largely not an issue if you leave it on all the time.

BTW, I use the remote to put the TT2 on mute when I'm not using it, mainly just to turn off the main volume LED.
Have you tried linear power supplies for the m scaler and tt2? If your streaming I have a linear power supply for my sky hub but also for the nokia g-010g-q box that converts fibre to electrical. Huge difference

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #18,650 of 18,907
TLDR: Do I need a separate amp to get best out of Abyss 1266?

SUBJECT: Do I love the DAC or the amp part of the TT2?

Having asked on the Abyss 1266 thread, I thought I'd try my luck here regarding separate amp for a TT2/Mscaler combo.

I have 1266 coming in, and want to get the best out of them. Suggestions vary on whether the SE jack is sufficient to drive the 1266. Many on the 1266 thread suggest using the XLR balanced outs on the back.

Can anyone chime in on any need for separate amp (I'm thinking Niimbus US5 Pro) and then either a less expensive DAC that can still deliver the goods.

I love the TT2/HMS combo, but I'm not till death us do part with it. Selling them could easily fund a fantastic separate amp plus very good DAC instead which would give me the full range of connections I need, as the 1266 and existing headphones I have are mix of 6.3mm and 4 pin XLR. One of the cables is a Superconductor, and the deal I got on it was fantastic jump-on-it-immediately level. So I want to have a range of connections to play with that TT2 doesn't offer.

Thing is, I can't understand if what I love about the TT2/HMS is in the DAC or the amp??

Also, HMS is very nice, but I could live without it. Pretty sure I'd fail a blind test, but I DO notice it after a week if I take it out.

Sorry, this is rambling. I need HELP :)

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #18,651 of 18,907
BTW...I know some will say this has been covered. BELIEVE ME, I've read so much of this thread and 1266.

Also, many say 1266 needs XLR at the rear to get the best out of the 1266, but buying adapter for that is out as the 4 pin XLR terminated cables I have are a mix of stock and Superconductor, so I would need multiple adapters which from Abyss is $$$.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #18,652 of 18,907
BTW...I know some will say this has been covered. BELIEVE ME, I've read so much of this thread and 1266.

Also, many say 1266 needs XLR at the rear to get the best out of the 1266, but buying adapter for that is out as the 4 pin XLR terminated cables I have are a mix of stock and Superconductor, so I would need multiple adapters which from Abyss is $$$.
Given that the tt2 is designed to drive and is capable of driving efficient speakers, I'd say let the incoming 1266 land and just give it a go! 😀

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #18,653 of 18,907
Im sure its been posted.

All Chord DAC's give best SQ using single ended. The output stage of the DAC is its amp alltogether. So no internal separated circuits.

I would advise to get a 6.35mm single ended cable to minimise the number of connector contacts and run straight out of TT2.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #18,654 of 18,907
I think what I would do is just wait for the HP and listen to it out of single ended and then get a cheap adapter (meaning not expensive materials but you should make sure it is wired correctly for TT2) to listen to dual XLR out of the back so you can compare before spending a lot of money. If you think one of them is suitable I would call Abyss and see if they can re-terminate the super conductor cable or you can do an adapter if you want to preserve retail value. I'd personally just re-terminate the cable and I think if you went to sell it you would probably find someone that does prefer that configuration but I could see this either way I'd just rather get the cable in the configuration I want and I tend to keep gear for a while so this just seems worth it to me.

If you think you need an amp I would suggest going to can jam because you can hear so many different options and that's just the best way but if you can't I would suggest a tube amp as I seemed to across the board enjoy Abyss through clean tube amps. I think their drivers are fast which is great for detail but it makes the midrange a little thin sounding and tubes add just a bit of decay to the midrange so it seems to balance well and this is one of the things I found at can jam was I just seemed to prefer this across their lineup. I don't think you want a tube amp that loses too much detail but I really enjoyed the LTA MZ3 with my Diana v2 and it powers it really well so I'd imagine it could power the 1266 but you can check either thread to make sure. If you need an amp and the m Scaler isn't a must have for you but you like the TT2 you could sell the scaler and pick up a MZ3/MZ2 and use it with your TT2. This took the Diana v2 from a headphone that I mainly liked with techno to one of my favorite all around headphones so just my 2c but it could be a good way to go.

One thing you have to be careful with tube amps is it has to work with low impedance headphones so it's usually transformer coupled (OTL typically doesn't work well and struggle with low impedance) or MZ3 is transformer less so I think it's a little different from the other types but it works well with dynamic or planar and they even have a version that works with electrostatic/planar/dynamic and I'm kind of interested in that one.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #18,655 of 18,907
Im sure its been posted.

All Chord DAC's give best SQ using single ended. The output stage of the DAC is its amp alltogether. So no internal separated circuits.

I would advise to get a 6.35mm single ended cable to minimise the number of connector contacts and run straight out of TT2.
Does this also count connected as a dac to a integrated amp? Because it also depend which circuit of the integrated amp is better implemented.
(Talking about a full size hifi set, not a headphone sitation)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #18,656 of 18,907
I think what I would do is just wait for the HP and listen to it out of single ended and then get a cheap adapter (meaning not expensive materials but you should make sure it is wired correctly for TT2) to listen to dual XLR out of the back so you can compare before spending a lot of money. If you think one of them is suitable I would call Abyss and see if they can re-terminate the super conductor cable or you can do an adapter if you want to preserve retail value. I'd personally just re-terminate the cable and I think if you went to sell it you would probably find someone that does prefer that configuration but I could see this either way I'd just rather get the cable in the configuration I want and I tend to keep gear for a while so this just seems worth it to me.

If you think you need an amp I would suggest going to can jam because you can hear so many different options and that's just the best way but if you can't I would suggest a tube amp as I seemed to across the board enjoy Abyss through clean tube amps. I think their drivers are fast which is great for detail but it makes the midrange a little thin sounding and tubes add just a bit of decay to the midrange so it seems to balance well and this is one of the things I found at can jam was I just seemed to prefer this across their lineup. I don't think you want a tube amp that loses too much detail but I really enjoyed the LTA MZ3 with my Diana v2 and it powers it really well so I'd imagine it could power the 1266 but you can check either thread to make sure. If you need an amp and the m Scaler isn't a must have for you but you like the TT2 you could sell the scaler and pick up a MZ3/MZ2 and use it with your TT2. This took the Diana v2 from a headphone that I mainly liked with techno to one of my favorite all around headphones so just my 2c but it could be a good way to go.

One thing you have to be careful with tube amps is it has to work with low impedance headphones so it's usually transformer coupled (OTL typically doesn't work well and struggle with low impedance) or MZ3 is transformer less so I think it's a little different from the other types but it works well with dynamic or planar and they even have a version that works with electrostatic/planar/dynamic and I'm kind of interested in that one.
To be honest I like the tt2+mscaler with the build in headphone amp. if I want a little bit more power in the low end I use my burson 3x gt connected. Both sound amazing. Really depends on my mood and music

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #18,657 of 18,907
Does this also count connected as a dac to a integrated amp? Because it also depend which circuit of the integrated amp is better implemented.
(Talking about a full size hifi set, not a headphone sitation)
With a Chord DAC the lineouts and headphone sockets are via a relay hardwired to exactly the same output circuit.

The inverted signal pin of the balanced out XLR uses an additional inverting circuit taking its signal from the positive one.

So yes the best amps for a Chord DAC are ones with optimally single ended inputs.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #18,658 of 18,907
TLDR: Do I need a separate amp to get best out of Abyss 1266?

SUBJECT: Do I love the DAC or the amp part of the TT2?

Having asked on the Abyss 1266 thread, I thought I'd try my luck here regarding separate amp for a TT2/Mscaler combo.

I have 1266 coming in, and want to get the best out of them. Suggestions vary on whether the SE jack is sufficient to drive the 1266. Many on the 1266 thread suggest using the XLR balanced outs on the back.

Can anyone chime in on any need for separate amp (I'm thinking Niimbus US5 Pro) and then either a less expensive DAC that can still deliver the goods.

I love the TT2/HMS combo, but I'm not till death us do part with it. Selling them could easily fund a fantastic separate amp plus very good DAC instead which would give me the full range of connections I need, as the 1266 and existing headphones I have are mix of 6.3mm and 4 pin XLR. One of the cables is a Superconductor, and the deal I got on it was fantastic jump-on-it-immediately level. So I want to have a range of connections to play with that TT2 doesn't offer.

Thing is, I can't understand if what I love about the TT2/HMS is in the DAC or the amp??

Also, HMS is very nice, but I could live without it. Pretty sure I'd fail a blind test, but I DO notice it after a week if I take it out.

Sorry, this is rambling. I need HELP :)

TT2 is not your usual DAC + Amplifier combo. There is no separate amplification board on TT2. What you heard from headphone out and rca out practically are the same. So to answer your question, TT2 is a great dac, not a great amp. For 1266 TC there is a room for improvement if you can find an amplifier that synergise well with the rest of your system.

Personally, a good external amp is more important factor to pair with TT2 rather than m-scaller. Other people may have different opinion ofc.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #18,659 of 18,907
Personally, a good external amp is more important factor to pair with TT2 rather than m-scaller. Other people may have different opinion ofc.
@walterboss I confirm @TheMiddleSky words.

For me adding an amp to TT2 made a much more bigger/important difference than adding M-Scaler to the chain. In fact with some cans after adding HEADA and Envy to TT2 are hardly listenable for me straight from TT2 outputs. As for Abbys cans I find them quite challenging in setting them up on my head in order to get a decent SQ. Overall I was strongly disappointed with 1266 and at least for my setup I think there are better headphones with better comfort, SQ and btw they are cheaper too.

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #18,660 of 18,907
TT2 is not your usual DAC + Amplifier combo. There is no separate amplification board on TT2. What you heard from headphone out and rca out practically are the same. So to answer your question, TT2 is a great dac, not a great amp. For 1266 TC there is a room for improvement if you can find an amplifier that synergise well with the rest of your system.

I definitely have a different opinion. Adding an external amp to the TT2 means you're further away from the source signal so audio resolution will always suffer doing that.

If the TT2 has enough power to drive what you're using, there is no reason to add an external amp. FWIW, TT2 has plenty of power (7.2w of clean power out of the headphone output) for most all headphones on the market, except for maybe the very most hard to drive ones like the Susvara.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back