Hyla Audio TE-5B & TE-5T Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 218

justrest

500+ Head-Fier
Here is the details of new TE-5B and TE-5T. Both models have same driver configuration with CE-05, but of course different tuning. Also, they comes with PW Audio stock cables.

Both models will be release on 12 January 2019.

Hyla TE-5B

te5b.jpg

164401.jpg 164414.jpg 164415.jpg 164416.jpg

Hyla TE-5T

te5t.jpg

164403.jpg 164418.jpg 164420.jpg 164421.jpg

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 218
Price in Korea is 1,470,000W (~$1315). For reference, the CE-5 was 1,150,000W here (~$1030).

I’m not big on cable differences, but a significant part of the price increase seems to be the PW audio cable. (FWIW, the PW cables I’ve tried have all been pretty nice - much nicer than the CE-5 stock cable)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 218
Was there any reason to why the original CE-5 was discontinued? From a curious glance of what measurements are out there, it looks like the TE-5B would be most similar to the original CE-5 that I once owned but still probably wouldn't resolve some of its strange tonality. The TE-5T upper midrange/lower treble emphasis look potent to say the least.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 218
Was there any reason to why the original CE-5 was discontinued? From a curious glance of what measurements are out there, it looks like the TE-5B would be most similar to the original CE-5 that I once owned but still probably wouldn't resolve some of its strange tonality. The TE-5T upper midrange/lower treble emphasis look potent to say the least.

It was always a limited run. From what I’ve heard, Hyla originally had three prototypes for their triple hybrid (what is now the TE-5B, CE-5, and TE-5T) and released their “mid-centric” iem first.

All three seem pretty specialized though... I could see the TE-5T being popular in Japan/Korea.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 218
FB9F95A0-D535-4063-B316-C0A3FBC83102.jpeg

I had fun with the TE-5B today. It sounds pretty similar to the CE-5 I used to own. It’s probably just a very minute change in tuning.

I noticed it does require a bit more power. The Solaris I listened to at 5/16 on my iPhone 5s, my CE-5 at 7/16, but this TE-5B needed 8/16.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 218
I had fun with the TE-5B today. It sounds pretty similar to the CE-5 I used to own. It’s probably just a very minute change in tuning.

I noticed it does require a bit more power. The Solaris I listened to at 5/16 on my iPhone 5s, my CE-5 at 7/16, but this TE-5B needed 8/16.

I was pretty surprised that, despite Crinacle's impressions, he still gave it the same rating as the CE-5 (which dropped from the S category to A+). I guess that means the mids are less thinner than I'd thought they would be.

You remember if these have more bass than the CE-5? Seems like it's more similar than different to the CE-5, which is good for those who couldn't get the original.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing how these sound with a pure copper cable. I wonder if the SPC they decided on is what makes the subtle difference.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 218

That looks awesome. They both have very similar sound but what is the differences between CE05 vs TEB5? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 218
You remember if these have more bass than the CE-5? Seems like it's more similar than different to the CE-5, which is good for those who couldn't get the original.

That looks awesome. They both have very similar sound but what is the differences between CE05 vs TEB5? Thanks.

I didn’t have a CE-5 to compare them side by side, so I can’t say for sure. I used to listen to the CE-5 at 7/16, but I listened to the TE-5B at 8/16. I think they’re mostly the same. The guy in the store said the bass is slightly stronger and deeper, and the mids are slightly thinner, but I didn’t think there was much of a difference when playing the same songs. The CE-5 already had a strong but clean bass, and I didn’t think this “stronger” TE-5B bass resulted in any bleeding.

It’s a safe pick if you missed out on the CE-5, that’s for sure.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 218
I was able to audition both TE5T & TE5B at Zepellin & Co., Singapore. I was blown away by both the iems. These boutique iems have a special tuning & designing. They are very different from other mainstream iems. Right from the build quality, fit, aesthetics, quality of cable(SPC , rhodium plated) and the SQ...its top class. They are a steal imho. The preorder price is 150 SG$ less than the retail price.
I tried all iems with Sp1000Cu + mass kobo 424. There was zero hissing with sp1k or the combo.

20190126_162451.jpg

TE5B has the best bass response I have ever heard after lcdi4 till date. Compared it with CA atlas, Tia Trio, Tia u12t. The quality of bass was exceptional. There were so many details in the low end with adequate body ...not overpowering mid bass...it was an amazing experience & they are priced very well. Other frequencies are tuned very well but more emphasis is given to bass frequency.

20190126_170022.jpg

TE5T has the best treble, spacious soundstage & accurate imaging , very detailed bass, very fast transients, incredible speed due to the ceramic piezoelectric drivers; best trebles I have heard on an iem. Period. Compared them with Shozy Pola, AAW Canary, Tia U18, CA Solaris, CA Andromeda. The latter three iems are very balanced; they tick almost all the boxes but do not surprise you at every corner of the track. TE5T like carrying a portable 009. The synergy with sp1000cu is perfect as its on a warmer side & TE5T with SPC are on brighter side.

TE5T has become my favourite iem; ended up preordering them.

The sad part is that they will be available in limited quantities. Only few people will be able to own these magical iems.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20190126_162519.jpg
    20190126_162519.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190126_163343.jpg
    20190126_163343.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 218
I was able to audition both TE5T & TE5B at Zepellin & Co., Singapore. I was blown away by both the iems. These boutique iems have a special tuning & designing. They are very different from other mainstream iems. Right from the build quality, fit, aesthetics, quality of cable(SPC , rhodium plated) and the SQ...its top class. They are a steal imho. The preorder price is 150 SG$ less than the retail price.
I tried all iems with Sp1000Cu + mass kobo 424. There was zero hissing with sp1k or the combo.

TE5B has the best bass response I have ever heard after lcdi4 till date. Compared it with CA atlas, Tia Trio, Tia u12t. The quality of bass was exceptional. There were so many details in the low end with adequate body ...not overpowering mid bass...it was an amazing experience & they are priced very well. Other frequencies are tuned very well but more emphasis is given to bass frequency.

TE5T has the best treble, spacious soundstage & accurate imaging , very detailed bass, very fast transients, incredible speed due to the ceramic piezoelectric drivers; best trebles I have heard on an iem. Period. Compared them with Shozy Pola, AAW Canary, Tia U18, CA Solaris, CA Andromeda. The latter three iems are very balanced; they tick almost all the boxes but do not surprise you at every corner of the track. TE5T like carrying a portable 009. The synergy with sp1000cu is perfect as its on a warmer side & TE5T with SPC are on brighter side.

TE5T has become my favourite iem; ended up preordering them.

The sad part is that they will be available in limited quantities. Only few people will be able to own these magical iems.

Cheers

Did you test hyla ce5? Which genre do you listen to? I think they both sounded extremely weird...

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 218
Did you test hyla ce5? Which genre do you listen to? I think they both sounded extremely weird...
Sorry, I was not able to listen to CE5. I somewhat agree with you on your last statement. These are quite diff. from mainstream iems mentioned above; that's why they sounded weird(good sense). I was listening to AT adx5000 before te5t & the latter sounded quite close to former in terms of overall presentation(both are Japanese). I listen to a very wide range of music. I already have lcdi4 which does everything better than other mainstream iems. I wanted a change. This does not mean that I don't enjoy lcdi4. Just exploring diff. signatures.
If you get a chance first listen to 009/009s then adx 5000 f/b hyla TE5T...you will understand what I am talking about.....

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back