I am Freshmen of over- ear headphones: Do you have any suggestions for sennheiser headphones (below $150)?
Jan 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ckc4043

100+ Head-Fier
Freshmen for over- ear headphones: Do you have any suggestions for sennheiser headphones?
Budget: below $100-150, I do not mind buying used headphones, but I do not know what place is good for buying used one.
If there are no good headphones in sennheiser around my budget, would you mind suggesting my other brands?
By the way, do you have any websites that have the latest headphone deals?
Since I am freshmen in headphones, I am not familiar with the price of the headphone. Does headphone drop the price frequently?
I am so sorry that I asked you too many questions in the first time. I never buy a headphone before.
Thank you.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Freshmen for over- ear headphones: Do you have any suggestions for sennheiser headphones?

What kinds of music do you like? Where will you listen to the headphones (quiet home, noise office, public transportation, ...)?

I have the HD 650, and I like it very much, but does yours have to be a Sennheiser?

Budget: below $100-150, I do not mind buying used headphones, but I do not know what place is good for buying used one.
By the way, do you have any websites that have the latest headphone deals?
Since I am freshmen in headphones, I am not familiar with the price of the headphone. Does headphone drop the price frequently?

You can get quite a nice pair of Sennheisers, or some other brand, for $150.

Head-Fi has a For-Sale section and Amazon sells new and used equipment. There are many other vendors. CamelCamelCamel.com can display Amazon's pricing history for headphones.

For deals, look at the Deals thread here at Head-Fi.

Prices at vendors like Crutchfield are very stable; prices at vendors like Amazon may change several times per day (or more.)

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 11
What kinds of music do you like? Where will you listen to the headphones (quiet home, noise office, public transportation, ...)?

I have the HD 650, and I like it very much, but does yours have to be a Sennheiser?

You can get quite a nice pair of Sennheisers, or some other brand, for $150.

Head-Fi has a For-Sale section and Amazon sells new and used equipment. There are many other vendors. CamelCamelCamel.com can display Amazon's pricing history for headphones.

For deals, look at the Deals thread here at Head-Fi.

Prices at vendors like Crutchfield are very stable; prices at vendors like Amazon may change several times per day (or more.)

I think I will listen to the head phones at home, but usually noisy, maybe sometimes quiet. I only heard Sennheiser headphones are well known, but I do not know other brands very detail. I like pop music most. Thank you for your information about the forum and other useful websites. I hope I can find a good headphone in a good deal. I am so afraid that I buy a headphone that will drop its price quickly. I am not the guy who wants to buy the latest headphone immediately. I can be patient to wait for a deal for a good pair of headphone. I feel weird why sometimes the headphone deal can come to a huge percent off of it's retail price. Thank you again.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I think I will listen to the head phones at home, but usually noisy, maybe sometimes quiet.

If it's usually noisy where you'll be listening, will "isolation" from outside noise be important? Does it matter if you "leak" a little sound that others around you would hear? Those are two important keywords.

Quote:

I like pop music most.

I don't listen to much pop. What artists do you like? How about movies?

I hope I can find a good headphone in a good deal.

Here's what I recommend. Repost your question on the Recommendations Thread: Mention where you'll be listening (and isolation and/or leakage, if they're important to you.) Mention what and who you'll be listening to. Mention any other preference you have (such as enhanced bass.) Mention your budget. 

Some headphones are designed so the ear-cup fits around your ear ("circumaural"); some ear-cups sit on your outer ear ("supra-aural"). If you care or are curious, mention it.

There's no guarantee but I'll bet you'll get recommendations.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Is my budget too low for other brands?

Nope. Sennheiser headphones tend to cost more than comparable models from other manufacturers. Even so, many of their models are within your budget. There are other well-known manufacturers: AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Creative, Denon, Grado, Panasonic, and Shure come to mind. There are many others.

I've heard little in your price range, so my personal recommendations are limited. I tried the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. The M50 (~$115) is very popular here at Head-Fi. It didn't really appeal to me and I had too many headphones at the time, so I give it away. I still have the Fostex T50RP. The T50 ($~95) is even more popular. I think it does some things well, others not so well, but I've kept it.

Do you like to tinker? If you do, read the T50RP "mod" thread(s), where gung-ho users modify their headphones to improve the sound. I never tried it.

Edit: Wrong model number

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I don't listen to much pop. What artists do you like? How about movies?

Here's what I recommend. Repost your question on the Recommendations Thread: Mention where you'll be listening (and isolation and/or leakage, if they're important to you.) Mention what and who you'll be listening to. Mention any other preference you have (such as enhanced bass.) Mention your budget. 

Some headphones are designed so the ear-cup fits around your ear ("circumaural"); some ear-cups sit on your outer ear ("supra-aural"). If you care or are curious, mention it.

I never mind leaking little sound to others. Actually, it is not very noisy. Maybe I choose to have a headphone at a quiet place then. I am sorry that I forget to read the rules before I post it in the forum. Please accept my apology. I do not mind the ear cup fits actually, but prefer the typical one. Thank you again.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Nope. Sennheiser headphones tend to cost more than comparable models from other manufacturers. Even so, many of their models are within your budget. There are other well-known manufacturers: AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, Creative, Denon, Grado, Panasonic, and Shure come to mind. There are many others.

I've heard little in your price range, so my personal recommendations are limited. I tried the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. The M50 (~$115) is very popular here at Head-Fi. It didn't really appeal to me and I had too many headphones at the time, so I give it away. I still have the Fostex T50RP. The T50 ($~95) is even more popular. I think it does some things well, others not so well, but I've kept it.

Do you like to tinker? If you do, read the T50RP "mod" thread(s), where gung-ho users modify their headphones to improve the sound. I never tried it.

Edit: Wrong model number

I think I do not le to tinker. Anyways, thank you for your suggestion. I will make your two choices. A reference. It seems Audio Technica ATH M50 sound great after I read the review.

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Quote:
Here's what I recommend. Repost your question on the Recommendations Thread:[...]

I never mind leaking little sound to others. Actually, it is not very noisy. Maybe I choose to have a headphone at a quiet place then. I am sorry that I forget to read the rules before I post it in the forum. Please accept my apology. I do not mind the ear cup fits actually, but prefer the typical one. Thank you again.

There's nothing to apologize for: I'm just another user here. I don't think there's a rule saying we have to use the Recommendations Thread, but it's a place where you can probably get answers and recommendations. You'll get the best advice if you mention the things I suggested: environment where you listen, what you listen to, genres and/or artists you prefer... Better for you to get more, different opinions in addition to mine.

You can get a few suggestions (probably) in that thread. Then, you start watching prices. If you decide it's for you, the ATH M50S's price changes frequently: ~$111 from Amazon in September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back