I am planning an info session of sorts about different headphones, IEMs and headsets that interpreters can use at work. What can I add to this?
Jul 8, 2023 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rackhour

500+ Head-Fier
I’m not affiliated with any shop or brand. I’m only someone who has more than a passing interest in portable audio equipment, and I want to share this interest with a focus on how other types of headphones and IEMs can make life easier for interpreters (and I am one as well).

To give an overview, some interpreters do simultaneous interpretation in online or offline conferences. In online conferences, they use mics, headphones or headsets of their choice connected to their computers at home or elsewhere. In offline conferences, they bring their headphones or earphones of choice into the booth. Sometimes, if there is a guided tour, or if a group is on the move, interpreters may use a wireless short range transmitter, but that’s irrelevant with headphones.

I figure I would showcase my equipment in my signature to highlight the difference between closed back and open back, and how sound and comfort level can change. For example, during my downtime interactions with fellow interpreters, I’ve occasionally heard about how they cannot stand their stuffy headphones and how their ears get too warm when they need to wear them for hours when interpreting remotely. And the few times I’ve visited mainstream electronics shops, I have noted that the only somewhat open-back headphones on sale are the AirPods (non Pro).

In the case of my Etymotic IEMs, I would obtain additional tips so that people wouldn’t be grossed out by wax. This is also another brand I have never seen in regular stores. I remember seeing Shure SE215 a decade ago, but now there are only TWS. I want to use those to mention how narrow nozzles and narrow tips can make IEMs more fitting for people who have had little success with single domed mainstream IEMs.

I may take this opportunity to buy a FiiO FF5 so that I can also display non IEMs and try them myself.

What else would you add to this? Keep in mind that the primary focus is on speech and comfort; music would be secondary.

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 5
You could pitch to Shure for some samples, given your background....
That’s a good idea. I would need my association’s name for that; I think an organization’s name would have more power than an everyday freelancer’s name.

Jul 10, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 5
From personal experience, talking to Shure to get a demo gets you nowhere. It can be oddly easy to get demos from IEM brands(the smaller, newer they are, the easier it is), so you should use that opportunity to send a few emails just in case with a short explanation about the purpose, and maybe an offer to post a feedback from your experience online(free advertising).
But unless they went for some radical communication changes with the tiktok era, don’t put too much hope on Shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back