I am Vietnamese.
Apr 14, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Pepsi

500+ Head-Fier
I was born in rural Chu Lai, Vietnam. It's a small village in the country's central region about 2 hours south of Da Nang.

My parents immigrated to a small town in northern Minnesota when i was only 2 years old. 3 years later we moved to Des Moines, IA. Where i grew up as a child.

As you can see i grew up in American society, therefore it was only natural for me to pick up american values and outlooks, but i also got to see what my parents points of view were. It wasn't until we traveled back to Vietnam last summer where i finally realized how different our cultures were, and how hard it is for other people who are not familiar with outside customs to really understand.

I can go on and on and on, but i'm going to keep this as short as possible. My point is, keep an open mind about everything, something may seem normal where you are, but it may be ridiculous in other areas. When you look at an individual, see culture not color. And no matter how you're raised, try to have somewhat of an understanding of who you are and where you're from. I for one will never forget Vietnam. It is a very beautiful place filled with very passionate people. This is where "living off the smaller things in life" truly has a meaning.

Regards,
Connor

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 27
Hi, Welcome to Head Fi and sorry for your wallet!

I visited Vietnam a few years back and it was one the most amazing trips I have ever taken. I visited Hanoi and took a trip up around the North in the mountains. The scenery was completely stunning, one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen and I just loved Hanoi, so much character. However, it was the people I interacted with that left the greatest impression. So very kind and welcoming every where I went. The poverty was gut-wrenching but the spirit of those I met was inspiring.

I look forward to getting back some day and would like to visit the central area, maybe I will take a run through Chu Lai!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 27
Hi Gu Sensai,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Vietnam! Hanoi is stunning, did you get a chance to visit Ho Chi Minh's burial? I was amazed at how well they preserved his body. Actually, in the Vietnamese culture, there is still a lot of bias and prejudice between the North and South Vietnamese. Something I still have trouble grasping.

I think you will enjoy Chu Lai, it is one of the most peaceful places i have ever been. If you do let me know, there is a place that i think everyone should visit, it's a small restaurant about 5 minutes away from relatives place, they brew the best tea i have ever had in my life. Even the most non tea enthusiast would find some kind of enlightenment from it.

I appreciate the kind words.
smily_headphones1.gif

Connor

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 27
Hi,

I believe we have the same outlooks and beliefs regarding the differences of people around the world. I definitely understand what you mean when you said, "When you look at an individual, see culture not color." Everyone has a wonderful culture to share. The outer of a person is not important. What matters most is the way they live their lives.

May 17, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 27
Nice read,good advice 
smile.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 27
Never knew you were Viet. I'm American-born Cambodian (2nd gen I guess) and I've learned to hate everyone equally regardless of race, gender, social status, or sexual preference. Well except maybe brainless college twats, but I'm not sure they count as people. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 27
im working here in Long-an province in vietnam, yup things is a bit diff from west or east culture.
working here for a year and half i do admire the people's very simple way of living.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
im working here in Long-an province in vietnam, yup things is a bit diff from west or east culture.

For real? If yes, I'm so near from you because I'm currently on a vacation back home. Long An is next to my province, Tiengiang. Maybe we should hook up for a mini meet LOL.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 27

Quote:
For real? If yes, I'm so near from you because I'm currently on a vacation back home. Long An is next to my province, Tiengiang. Maybe we should hook up for a mini meet LOL.

ei?! really? pls let me know. yup im here in long-an we can meet in the City at weekend it you have free time
we can also visit some audio store in the city :D

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 27
Yeah, in case you don't know, there's a small audiophile store in Ho Chi Minh city that carries quite a lot headphones, including the JH16 universal that I tried last time. If we have chance to meet, you're welcome to try my 'portable' rig :)

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 27
i think your talking about this store : http://chodientu.vn/gian-hang/koolaudio/home.html
thats where i bought majority of my gear. yup i already tried the JH-16 demo sounds heaven! FTW!

Quote:
Yeah, in case you don't know, there's a small audiophile store in Ho Chi Minh city that carries quite a lot headphones, including the JH16 universal that I tried last time. If we have chance to meet, you're welcome to try my 'portable' rig :)

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

That's impressive. Saigon has really diversified since the last time I went back for a visit.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 27
My background is Chinese but my parents lived in Saigon, Vietnam before fleeing to Australia (where I was born) during the war.

Quote:
Never knew you were Viet. I'm American-born Cambodian (2nd gen I guess) and I've learned to hate everyone equally regardless of race, gender, social status, or sexual preference. Well except maybe brainless college twats, but I'm not sure they count as people. 

My father was born in Cambodia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back