I can't decide between HD600 and HD650
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 22
Oct 2, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #18 of 22
To uhh, totally take the thread off the rails:

- I think I'm sending the 650 back. Really don't notice a difference.
- I keep hearing the 6xx is "better", but I don't have it to test, and my return window for the 600 ends on the 4th, so IDK. I bet it sounds exactly the same.
- This whole 6 series seems to give me pretty "interesting"... extreme ringing. I do love the sound for the most part (could tweak a few things), but every time I listen I seem to have ear fatigue and actual ringing after.
- I am not sure if I am just listening too loud... I am new to headphones. I have a Yamaha S501 driving and have volume at like.. 11 o clock. I read somewhere that you should be able to hear your fingers snap while playing music. I haven't really tested that out.
- I'm wondering.. for my purposes, if closed back headphones might be better for my purposes. A bit more bass and isolation, and I may be using them a lot more for recording guitar out of an amp, hence noise leakage could be an issue, and I only want one pair of headphones...
- Any [comfortable/for glasses] closed backs with similar sound signature to like an HD600? Pretty neutral with good mids, nice bass, non fatiguing/ear-bleedy? Or even other open backs? Or is my problem volume? I guess I like the "piercing" sound but it obviously causes fatigue. I didn't get this with IEMs "back in the day".. or did I and not care cause stupid 16 year old with DSOTM on 100% (always had tinnitus).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 22
My rank:

1. 660 S
2. 600
3. 650

That's how I rate them myself. The newer driver on the HD 660 S sets it apart for me, I think it has to do with it's transients, I much prefer them and find them a lot more engaging. My ears also far prefer their upper midrange which I find grating on the HD 600 and HD 650 but not the HD 660 S.
To uhh, totally take the thread off the rails:

- I think I'm sending the 650 back. Really don't notice a difference.
- I keep hearing the 6xx is "better", but I don't have it to test, and my return window for the 600 ends on the 4th, so IDK. I bet it sounds exactly the same.
- This whole 6 series seems to give me pretty "interesting"... extreme ringing. I do love the sound for the most part (could tweak a few things), but every time I listen I seem to have ear fatigue and actual ringing after.
- I am not sure if I am just listening too loud... I am new to headphones. I have a Yamaha S501 driving and have volume at like.. 11 o clock. I read somewhere that you should be able to hear your fingers snap while playing music. I haven't really tested that out.
- I'm wondering.. for my purposes, if closed back headphones might be better for my purposes. A bit more bass and isolation, and I may be using them a lot more for recording guitar out of an amp, hence noise leakage could be an issue, and I only want one pair of headphones...
- Any [comfortable/for glasses] closed backs with similar sound signature to like an HD600? Pretty neutral with good mids, nice bass, non fatiguing/ear-bleedy? Or even other open backs? Or is my problem volume? I guess I like the "piercing" sound but it obviously causes fatigue. I didn't get this with IEMs "back in the day".. or did I and not care cause stupid 16 year old with DSOTM on 100% (always had tinnitus).
For open-backs my suggestion would be the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X which has a very similar sound signature to the HD 600 and HD 650 but I found them less fatiguing personally probably due to somewhat more relaxed upper mids and it also has better bass than the HD 6xx line. As for closed-backs not sure. I gather the Beyer DT 700 Pro X may work but have yet to hear it, not really as experienced in closed-backs as open-backs.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 22
I bought a pair (600 to 650) to compare, and for the life of me, I can't hear a difference.
They have similar sound signatures. I found the HD650 to be a slightly fuller, thicker sound with more bass emphasis. The HD600 seemed more analytical and brighter. Both have the wonderful Sennheiser midrange. I read somewhere an opinion that the HD600 enhances the upper harmonics and the HD650 dampens them. This may be why people often like the HD600 for orchestral and the HD650 for popular/rock music. The HD600 is more lively which can sometimes be fatiguing, the HD650 more relaxing. Listening to each of them on their own for a week (5 or 6hrs) will bring out their unique characters.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 22
I would keep HD650 because to me it was technically superior to HD600, particularly in bass/lower mids, and as your listening skills develop you may be able to appreciate it later on, even if you don't realise it. I also preferred the smoother signature of HD650 long term.
This is based on my experience with pairs I bought a few years ago, there was a small but clear difference with those pairs at least to me, but after sennheiser moving production to Romania recently it wouldnt surprise if there was another silent revision that made them more similar... that would be unfortunate though, the ones I tried were just different enough that it still made sense for both to exist.

Also, if you have issues with fatigue with HD650 then you probably want to consider the DAC and/or amp you're using, there is a good reason people always mention scaling wrt to the HD650. But again, if recent version or productions of the HD650s are different/worse it might also be related to that.

I have issues with tinnitus and hearing sensivity issues too. Some "flareups" can be bad and last days, headphones, especially over-ear, can really aggravate or trigger them. I think a lot of is related to volume being higher than you realise.... try listening at much lower volume for about 20 minutes, then try increasing back to 11 o clock, you might be surprised how much louder it sounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back