I don't like Sundara closed back: is it worth to try Sundara open back? And... what alternatives?
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidrf

New Head-Fier
The title says almost all: I bought closed back Sundara but I don't like them. I REALLY like their pumping and very controlled bass, but they always lack some sparkle in the mid/upper mid range and to me voices and guitars and similar instruments always sound a bit dull and sometimes too distant. I also don't love the pretty narrow soundstage.

The perfect headphone for me would be something that has the lower end of Sundara closed back with more sparkle up there and more soundstage. Maybe this is impossible.

Given that, should I try Sundara open back? Would they be close to what I want? And, can you name other alternatives in the 200$ to 300$ range that I could consider?

Thanks a lot!

P.S.
I use headphones with Topping DX3+ PRO DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 7
The Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm is great for what your asking. The DX3 Pro+ can handle powering them easily. Really comfortable buy I'd buy new since the pads are $38 to replace, but they last a couple of years. The bass extends all the way down, really fun and the treble peak gives them sparkle up top.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I have a Sundara open back and it sounds like you may like the Meze 99 Classic. Just make sure you get the latest iteration (which you should if you buy new and from a reputable dealer). I have a feeling the open Sundara will give you the soundstage (good-) and perhaps the higher frequencies you want but (may) be a little too linear through the bass. It has relatively well extended and controlled bass but not too much 'pumping' to use your own words. Takes a lot of power though.

The 99 Classic (revised), which I also use, may not quite have the soundstage of the Sundara but it is very clear and has lovely bass, the sort that makes music fun but without overwhelming it. Sub bass is not quite on planar level. Additionally, separation is great and build quality exceeds that of lower Hifiman's (and most others) for the money. You get a nice case too. Its also easy to drive.

I EQ all my Headphones to a lesser extent (Roon and/or Mojo2) , none are perfect but the above impressions are as is, no EQ.

Others (and you) may well disagree with me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 7
For the moment I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm. Overall, I prefer them over the Sundara closed, just because they don't have that dullness on the mid/upper mid range. For their price the DT770 are downright awesome. Still, I will probably continue on trying different headphones, because even if they have that incredible price/quality ratio, i find them just A BIT "plasticky" sounding, not as natural as I would like.

P.S.
I'm a loooong time Sennheiser HD 595 user, and after having tried Sundara closed and especially DT770, I suddenly find the 595 unusable. Nonexistent bass, too bright and brittle. I'm asking myself how I could have used them for nearly 15 years...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back