I found myself FIST PUMPING Guido-style & jumping up and down spontaneously.. DT880 Pro 250ohm PERFECT. $214!!! why settle for a $150 phone?
Feb 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hyogen

500+ Head-Fier
I've never had this happen to me before...  I was listening to the headphones upon bringing them home, and in the middle of texting a friend...  It took me a second or so to realize I was FIST pumping and jumping up and down excitedly...in a child-like, giddy, care-free mood.  It was like guido-style (I don't watch Jersey Shore, but I saw Michael Cera imitate it once on Jay Leno or something--was hilarious)  Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgGtEmKgec  

I've been spending stupid amounts of time on these boards and other sites as soon as I just happened to take a listen to a couple available headphones at Guitar Center.  DT770 (32ohm), DT880(250Ω), Sennheiser HD380... upon hearing the DT880s I instantly fell IN LOVE...like the time that I had discovered my first pair of "audiophile" earphones...the UE triplefi 10.  

I love these for the same reason I love the Triplefi 10.  So very detailed and clear, amazing highs.  Maybe even brighter than the TF10, and tight bass.  These are just perfect to my ears.  Analytical and fun at the same time (again in my newb opinion)

Anyway, while needing to study for exams and stuff, I spent an incredible amount of time trying to find cheaper headphones that would cost less.  I was willing to spend maybe $150 on phones.  I almost went with even $30/$40 Panasonics, Superluxes, Ultrasones, and a friend's used Sennheiser HD580 (I knew about the veil).  

I found out I could get these for under $230.  $225 at B & H photo video (if you place it in your cart)--they're backordered.  At Geartree.com (an amazon vendor also)...if you call and ask you can get them (in stock) PLUS a free behringer ha400 amp for only $230.....They had it listed on their site for that, but changed it back to $270 once I called in and asked to make sure it was legit.  However, the deal is still good if you call.  So, I price matched the B&H price at Guitar Center and they give you an additional 10% off the difference....so total ended up being $214 (no tax in Oregon). 

I couldn't be happier...   For some reason when I tried it at the store, I thought my phone was not able to power it to as loud/listenable volume but I think my android smartphone is powering it just fine without any amplification.  My wife's HTC evo phone has more power, and as I experienced at Guitar Center when first testing them, the iPad2 had plenty of power.

I still have ordered the Fiio E17 and may or may not cancel that order, but I'm really happy as it is right now.  Will start burning them in tonight.  

For trance songs that I think anyone can enjoy and probably grow to love (except some OG trance snobs who think ALL music is crap now) check out the list I've carefully compiled with youtube links:  They definitely make my phones go WOOOOOOooooW!

http://www.listology.com/dochyo/list/connoisseurs-real-trance-musicprepare-have-your-mind-blown-o-o-o

I also enjoy quite a bit of classical film scores by amazing composers like Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Randy Edelman, etc.  
This is probably a tune you've heard before, but maybe never knew where it was from:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j67nQT2UAMs  Dragonheart theme (randy edelman)
Here are another couple favs:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHthbtSbGLM   The Dragon (bruce lee story) theme (randy edelman)
and you must also check out Hans Zimmer - Last Samurai Soundtrack  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWm8-jlddaw...John Williams - Jurassic Park....and others :)  
for a full list (in progress):    http://www.listology.com/dochyo/list/best-movie-scores-all-time-soundtracks-john-williams-hans-zimmer-james-horner-randy-edel

I'll report back once I get the E17 (I know i'll get it or some other amp eventually).  For now, I'm signing off...gonna try to stay off Headfi and get back to my studies.  

These PERFECT phones (for me) that have been called the same by many reviewers............for everyone who's trying to get under $100-150 phones....just save another $65 to $100 and I don't think you'll be disappointed with these.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 10
i'm afraid to ask for your suggestion....hehe  but yeah, I feel like I'm pretty set with these...very euphoric, indeed.  I hopefully can prioritize my time better from now on and spend more time listening to music and studying instead of researching headphones :p 

is the oomph you're talking about the bass that is "lacking"?  

also, I just made a work-in-progress list for favorite movie scores which I was so passionate about growing up.  http://www.listology.com/dochyo/list/best-movie-scores-all-time-soundtracks-john-williams-hans-zimmer-james-horner-randy-edel

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
@hyogen Are you me in an alternate universe? I literally had the SAME experience at Guitar Center just the other day. I tried all the headphones you mentioned and had a similar eargasm.  
beerchug.gif

hahaha, they don't even have that big of a selection, but I'm so glad I discovered these. Now you know how you can get your pair for $214 :D

i'm curious how this will sound amped with either an E6/E7 ,E11/E17...   These sound fine with my netbook, laptop, ipad2, sony PSP (at max volume), and my phone is aaalllmost adequate for volume.  

I hope that adding these entry level amps doesn't mean that i'll only be able to lower the volume on my player.......... am i missing out on stuff unamped, even if there is plenty of volume like on the computer/ipad2?

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
@hyogen Are you me in an alternate universe? I literally had the SAME experience at Guitar Center just the other day. I tried all the headphones you mentioned and had a similar eargasm.  
beerchug.gif

hahaha, they don't even have that big of a selection, but I'm so glad I discovered these. Now you know how you can get your pair for $214 :D

i'm curious how this will sound amped with either an E6/E7 ,E11/E17...   These sound fine with my netbook, laptop, ipad2, sony PSP (at max volume), and my phone is aaalllmost adequate for volume.  

I hope that adding these entry level amps doesn't mean that i'll only be able to lower the volume on my player.......... am i missing out on stuff unamped, even if there is plenty of volume like on the computer/ipad2?

Quote:
Quote:
is the oomph you're talking about the bass that is "lacking"?  

Yeah I find most of those electronic genres benefit from additional bass from colored phones.

in my opinion, I like bass to be there, but not enough to encroach on the mids and highs.  mids especially are so important for that ambient/pad/synth sound....not to mention vocals :xf_eek:  

This is the reason why I couldn't go back to listening to the DT770s after hearing these.  

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
in my opinion, I like bass to be there, but not enough to encroach on the mids and highs.  mids especially are so important for that ambient/pad/synth sound....not to mention vocals :xf_eek:  

This is the reason why I couldn't go back to listening to the DT770s after hearing these.  

Oh absolutely, I'm just saying there are headphone that have the detail and resolution of the 880s with the addition of bass.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm glad you didn't mention any....hehehe.  although, in my lengthy research for what I wanted, I didn't come across any that could do all of that well....I'm guessing the E11 or E17 amps can do that well...  bump up the mid-bass and not really color the rest of the sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back