I guess I don't get it.
Jan 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Boosh96

New Head-Fier
I've been putting some consideration into getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's or HD 518's. But I think I heard somewhere that you can't just plug the headphones directly into the available headphone jack on a mobile device and you have to get a different sort of music file or something in order for it to sound good? If anyone has a clue what I'm saying, can you tell me more about this? I'm confused.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
And if you have to mess around with all the other stuff, can you point me to some good headphones that work directly with a mobile device?

anything with 50 ohms or less is good to go

Quote:
I've been putting some consideration into getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's or HD 518's. But I think I heard somewhere that you can't just plug the headphones directly into the available headphone jack on a mobile device and you have to get a different sort of music file or something in order for it to sound good? If anyone has a clue what I'm saying, can you tell me more about this? I'm confused.

it has an adapter so you can plug it into you mobile device but its pretty large, maybe thats why its not recommended for mobile devices

I don't know where anybody gets the idea that you have to have a specific music file to enjoy music

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 8
I think they meant that you would not be using them to their full potential. Mp3 files are very hard to discern the difference against flac files, even when directly comparing, so I would take that with a grain of salt. As far as amping the 518 and 558, they are both 50ohm and not very hard to drive, though you would see a slight benefit in improved dynamics and extension. If you are worried still, maybe look into iems or portable cans, as they are super easy to drive.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 8
You should probably be fine straight from a mobile device with those, unless you have a super weak headphone out. Someone more familiar with those specifically should chime in soon though. You don't need any special files for mobile usage, high bitrate mp3's will do just fine. However, if you're getting these for mobile use, keep in mind that the two 'phones you're considering are open backed headphones and will not block much, if any background noise.

What music do you listen to most, and what environment will you be using them most often in? These two bits should make it easy to point you in the best direction.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
You should probably be fine straight from a mobile device with those, unless you have a super weak headphone out. Someone more familiar with those specifically should chime in soon though. You don't need any special files for mobile usage, high bitrate mp3's will do just fine. However, if you're getting these for mobile use, keep in mind that the two 'phones you're considering are open backed headphones and will not block much, if any background noise.

What music do you listen to most, and what environment will you be using them most often in? These two bits should make it easy to point you in the best direction.

I listen to classic rock music, like AC/DC and Aerosmith, as well as Rush and Boston and some other bands. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 8
I own the HD558 and do not recommend it for portable use. It does not block out any sound and it leaks sound into the environment, so other people can hear you. I listen to the same artists and, if you're adamant on having an open headphone, you MIGHT want to consider getting a Grado SR60. I find the HD558's to be a little laid back for classic rock. They're great headphones; just not the most exciting sounding.

Also, the HD558 isn't hard to drive and thus, you should be fine plugging it straight into your mobile device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back