I have expensive headphones but no amp...
Apr 17, 2020 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kevms89

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been into headphones for a long time but never had the money to get the more expensive stuff so I always used my phone.

Now that I have a good job and the money to spend I went out and got myself a Sony EX1000 and they sound great with my iPhone X, I always hear about amps and iem’s not sounding their true potential when just using a phone.

Should I get an AMP? Which do you recommend?

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 8
So I have been into headphones for a long time but never had the money to get the more expensive stuff so I always used my phone.

Now that I have a good job and the money to spend I went out and got myself a Sony EX1000 and they sound great with my iPhone X, I always hear about amps and iem’s not sounding their true potential when just using a phone.

For dynamic driver iems, I'd recommend trying it out on something that has stronger output than iPhones, an Amp or even PC headphone outs. Weirdest experience I had was with a tube hybrid amp with EX-1000. Oddly, it sounded really good out of a tube amp. This was quite a random experience. Dynamic drivers have fairly flat impedance response, so it's fine.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 8

It depends on how bad the phone is ie very high output impedance, low power output to cheat media playback battery life reviews (that don't standardize dB output), and whether there's any software issue other than neutering output power that you can't bypass (like some kind of EQ being applied), or if there's noise.

Very generally, anything with 115dB/1mW sensitivity will not likely have any issues with power quantity, but may be more susceptible to noise. If your IEM has at least that much and gets loud without getting any noise, the only improvement is output impedance, but that's really only an issue with EQ-ing low impedance dynamic driver IEMs or adding noise to very high sensitivity BA drivers.

I wouldn't really worry about the iPhone. You might as well save up and if you do upgrade to a DAC-HPamp than to a better IEM, get a good one that also has BT, since that can add to the convenience. If you use it on the go it's easier to use it wireless and have them in separate pockets rather than strapped together; if you're charging especially with a cable, you can still send the signal over to the BT DAC-HPamp.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah to get the best idea of what improvements can be had with audiophile grade equipment, you should bypass both stages of your phone's music circuitry, that is the DAC and the amp.

There are zillions of excellent portable DAC / amp combos to choose from, so first step is to decide on a budget and your preferred size I'd say. At some point in the future you'll start to realize what extra features and tonal signatures you prefer, but I'd suggest just keeping it simple and relatively cheap to start. Going with slightly older used equipment that was the toast of the town a few years ago is how i usually go. You get fantastic sound at reasonable prices.

On that note let me conclude with a recommendation: the JDS Labs C5D. It's super quiet, very flat frequency response, compact, and more than enough power for any iems. It also happens to be my favorite all around portable amp (though mine is just the C5, so no Dac). I don't think JDS is still making them, but it was very popular and well regarded a few years ago, so you should be able to find a used one Like New or Open Box pretty easily I'd guess.

But you're about to get a million different suggestions, so get your Google machine ready. : )

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah to get the best idea of what improvements can be had with audiophile grade equipment, you should bypass both stages of your phone's music circuitry, that is the DAC and the amp.

There are zillions of excellent portable DAC / amp combos to choose from, so first step is to decide on a budget and your preferred size I'd say. At some point in the future you'll start to realize what extra features and tonal signatures you prefer, but I'd suggest just keeping it simple and relatively cheap to start. Going with slightly older used equipment that was the toast of the town a few years ago is how i usually go. You get fantastic sound at reasonable prices.

On that note let me conclude with a recommendation: the JDS Labs C5D. It's super quiet, very flat frequency response, compact, and more than enough power for any iems. It also happens to be my favorite all around portable amp (though mine is just the C5, so no Dac). I don't think JDS is still making them, but it was very popular and well regarded a few years ago, so you should be able to find a used one Like New or Open Box pretty easily I'd guess.

But you're about to get a million different suggestions, so get your Google machine ready. : )
Topping NX4 DSD is the one to get in 2020. I too liked my C5.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Apple products usually come with a very decent built in DAC function and the 32-Ohm Sony EX1000 IEMs are I'm assuming easy to drive.
I'm guessing, more so in the past, the Apple phones would offer better DAC function, then Android phones (Androids catching up).
I'm not see a big compelling reason for an external DAC/amp, at least not for a reasonable price.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Apple products usually come with a very decent built in DAC function and the 32-Ohm Sony EX1000 IEMs are I'm assuming easy to drive.
I'm guessing, more so in the past, the Apple phones would offer better DAC function, then Android phones (Androids catching up).
I'm not see a big compelling reason for an external DAC/amp, at least not for a reasonable price.

Seconded. They are easy to drive: impedance high enough to avoid impedance swings caused by output impedance of the source, but low enough that the voltage requirements aren't astronomical.

If you had a Campfire IEM, then I'd suggest you get a decent amp/DAC/DAP, but for Sony IEMs in general, no matter how they sound, they are rarely susceptible to the same issues a lot of other IEM manufacturers have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back