I have my new $31 CD780s - compare notes in this thread if you like
Oct 15, 2003 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 231

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Okay, I'm listening to my new $31 Sony CD780s from e-cost. The CD580s were my main and favorite listening phones before this time. The CD780s are better. The CD780s do indeed sound like baby CD3000s to me.

Bass impact of the CD780s is better than on the CD580s. Mids and highs are better too. The overall sound is GREAT. I listened to some Steely Dan for a while and now I'm listening to some acousting jazz (Jane Monheit). Highs are extended and a little in excess of neutral, but quite nice, quite nice. Nothing as bright as V6s or eggos. Mids are PERFECT and SO SMOOTH.

The CD780s are even more comfortable than the CD580s, and that's saying something folks.

Jane Monheit's voice is positively sensual, acoustic bass is extremely well defined, acoustic piano is superbly natural.

For some reason it came with an extra cord, so I got a cloth cord and a plastic/rubber covered cord, both with adapters.

I also got the CD580 / CD780 manual (they share the same manual).

Seems to come with the Sony warranty.

These really do sound like baby CD3000s, as the FR curves suggested.

These are just my initial impressions, so take with a grain of salt.

Did I mention these are comfortable?

AND THANK YOU HEAD-FI!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 231
mmmm i cant wait to get mine, they will be here Friday. then ill have to have the dificult choice of 780's, v6's and 225's.

ill post my impressions also in this thread when i get them, but so my my only question i can think of is; hows the detail on them? i know my grados have that sharp, very detailed sound to them, do you get sorta that feeling with the 780s? or is it mor towards the v6's where its well...not at detailed and revealing

Oct 15, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 231
The CD780s leave the V6s in the dust. The CD780s are major league hi fidelity. The detail is awesome. The highs are extended but still with a soothing edge to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by jinxed84
my my only question i can think of is; hows the detail on them? i know my grados have that sharp, very detailed sound to them, do you get sorta that feeling with the 780s? or is it mor towards the v6's where its well...not at detailed and revealing

Oct 15, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
The CD780s leave the V6s in the dust. The CD780s are major league hi fidelity. The detail is awesome. The highs are extended but still with a soothing edge to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

hmm sounds like my v6's are gonna be put on "lawnmowing can' duty. ha you know your way too into this hobby when you can assign one set of headphones just for when you mow your lawn

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 231
Thanks, Blessingx. I know it's not too interesting to everyone, but for posterity or whatnot, I compared my CD580s with the CD780s. The CD780s are more bright, warmer, and have deeper bass. The CD780s sound less analytical and more musical than the CD580s. The CD580s sound a little cold in comparison. However, the CD580s are closer to neutral, I think, and are a little less hyped.

The CD780s have 50mm drivers, the CD580s have 40mm drivers. The CD780s have more comfortable padding on the inside and a softer cloth on the outside. Both are extremely easy to drive.

Sony really went the distance for sound and comfort on the CD780s. I've done some more listening to jazz, and the sound really has a pleasing, natural overall character, a detailed softness that matches the physical comfort of the phones. It brings me into the music on CDs that I didn't find that interesting before, just because the sound is so engaging and pleasing.

It really does recall to me the sound of CD3000s at head-fi meets. I think Sony was going after that sound signature with the CD780s, and they succeeded.

[Edit: I have just listened to a Brahms piano concerto and classical music is absolutely breathtaking on the CD780s.]

If you have to pay $80 or $120 for CD780s, it's still a great deal, IMHO. If you can get them cheaper, it's a steal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Good news Steve999. Thanks for letting us know!

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by got chow
Ooooooohhhh, I can't wait to get mine next Monday. My friend ordered a set too even though he is nowhere close to an audiophile. He just couldn't pass up the deal either.
smily_headphones1.gif
He got his today and I think I'm gonna go over there and break them in for him.
600smile.gif

He, he, that the beginning of the end for your friend's wallet. And it is your fault
evil_smiley.gif
Maybe a "little amp" next to properly power those cans?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 231
Steve999, any indication in the manual what the other cord is for? Are they the same length?

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 231
The cloth cord and the rubber cord are the same lengths, 10 feet or so I'd guess.

The manual says, for the CD780 only (not the CD580), "Newly developed low resistant LC-OFC litz wire is used for the for the headphone cable to minimize signal transmission loss." It also says "headphone cable is replaceable for easy maintenance."

I don't see anything in the manual as to why I got two cables. Nice touch though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Steve999, any indication in the manual what the other cord is for? Are they the same length?

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 231
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I think the CD480 (europe only) also has the same cord, although it may be of a lower quality cable, it's the same length and has the same connectors though (my friend bought a pair while in De).

The CD480 is also sold in Canada, AFAIK - but not in the USA.

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 231
I recieved my cd780's from the ecost.com $31 deal. After evaluating them, at as close as possible volume level setting and with the same selections with my mdr-v6(7506) headphones, I prefer the mdr-v6 for most electronically processed music(pop, electronica, rock, etc.). The cd-780, I prefer for acoustically recorded music, such as that available from mapleshade records, etc.

As far as comfort, the cd-780 is the clear winner, IMO. I don't believe I have ever experienced this level of comfort from a headphone previously. For those of you familiar with the original Koss Pro4aa sutdio headphones, the Sony cd780 is the inverse in comfort, compared to the Koss. :) Definately a headphone worthy of it's intended use(computer duty).

-Chris

EDIT-CORRECTION: I prefer the cd-780 for 'some' acousticaly recorded music. Not because i feel it is accurate, but the tonality imposes less fatigue in some, select, cases.

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 231
It seems my decision to spring for these CD780's was right on the money. I'll do a comparison with mine to my sweet A900's once I get a chance to break them in, assuming they need to be.....Unless they have actually had some use, already.......Now, I am excited......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back