I Just Bought a 23 Year Old CD Player - WOW!
May 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
I like to check ou my local Goodwill for stereo stuff, records and books. Today, I came across an Akai CD-A7 sitting there. I've always like the name, "Akai" from way back in the day when it was popular and I was a broke teenager.

So anyway, I plugged it in, it came on and the drawer movement was smooth, so I thought "what the hell" and picked it up for 20 bucks.

I've never seen a CD player this old, and as Akai was a pretty high end brand back then, I figured this probably was state of the art, or somewhere in the "state of the art" neighborhood. The unit is quite heavy for its size, weighing in at approximately 7-10 pounds (okay, I haven't been liftin' in quite some time so it might only be 5-7 pounds or so), and actually has slits in the top, rear portion of the cover for, and I'm guessing here, for heat relief.

Once home, I plugged it in, let it warm up for a few, and did a quick connect of the Move and listened thru the Ety ER4B's. The unit's got a headphone jack in front, along with a slide volume control on top of the jack. I turned it all the way down (why? I don't know. I always turn all headphone jack volume controls down) and listened for sound to pour forth from this ancient player. No sound. Checked the Move. Powered up. Thought, "hmm." Then I slide the volume control on the front above the jack up. This brought music out the RCA's in the back. Weird. Well, I guess not "that" weird. I've got another CDP which has both constant and variable outputs on back. One set of RCA is a line out, while the other's volume is controlled by the volume knob, again, located above the headphone jack. I guess it's meant to feed straight into an amp for a purer signal.

This things definitely got some "slam" factor to it. It actually brought out the low end in the Ety's, not an easy task. I've never heard these Ety's...not the P's or S's, no, the B's, sound this robust and full. And this after I've been listening to my Ed 9's for the last couple of days (meaning I've been listening to some quality, and I do mean, Quality, low end so the Ety's, if anything, should have sounded so anemic to be almost intolerable until my ears adjusted to their sound signature).

I put on one of my favorate CD's (Carmen Cuest-Loeb's "Daydream") and actually noticed things I've not noticed before. One was a short segment where an acoustic steel string guitar is played. I always knew it was a steel string, that part's pretty obvious, but with the Akai, it was just way more noticeable. In another song, I noticed a second, accompanying guitar backing the lead. This, to me, was rather strange, as I've got a couple of pretty decent CD players (CAL Icon II with the power boss upgrade, a carousel CAL (CD 20 or 15, not sure at the moment), along with a Audio Research CD2) and I've never noticed those parts.

Right now, I attribute that to either having the music playing louder than I normally listen, or the Akai has introduced its own sonic character to the music. My guess is that its slammin' bass (read exagerated), along with an almost hyped and etchy top end is the culprit.

I'm curious to hook it up to one of my home amps and listen through a regular pair of headphones. I'm guessing that the bass slam is going to turn into a horrendous glob of undefined bass, but the highs will be sound more neutral with headphones that aren't as bright as the ER4B's.

Oh, and this thing's got no skip forward/reverse button. It can be programmed so maybe there's a way skip around, but I'm not sure I'll be able to figure it out. It was a PIA pressing down the fast-forward button to skip through songs.

This will definitely force me to listen to entire CD's.
eek.gif

How will I ever manage?

Anyway, I'll add to this later after listening to the Akai some more. Apologize for all the typos and sentences that don't make much sense. I was too lazy to go back through and edit.

Ciao,

May 5, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 21
If my memory serves me correct, the CD-A7 was one of Akai's top of the line players back in the late 80's. It uses the PCM53 DAC from Burr Brown, a highly regarded NOS DAC.

May 5, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, sounds like a good find.

Get some pics up, for all to enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

NK

X4. Sometimes you get lucky at Goodwill
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 21
Last year, I got a NAD 3155 integrated amp at Goodwill for $20. It's got an unbelievable powerful and nice sounding headphone out. It easily drives the hardest to drive headphones. It even drives a pair of Audio Technica AT-706 Electrets that normally have to be connected to the speaker outs with a transformer box.

May 7, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 21
Some pictures:

DSCN4636.jpg

DSCN4638.jpg

DSCN4639.jpg

DSCN4640.jpg

DSCN4641.jpg

DSCN4642.jpg

Unfortunately, it's started acting up; mistracking and even coming to a halt (CD barely spinning). However, rather than take it back, I think I'm going to see about getting it repaired.

From everything I've read in hifi mags, I'm not supposed to like this CD player much, if at all. But I really like it. It's not refined like the newer players, but it performs really well on soundstage separation, more so than my other rigs. Or, I should say it presents a different sonic picture that I enjoyed (for the short time it was working well).

I still can't get over how it made the steel string guitar sound truly like a twangy steel string. The music's played with a "let's cut to the chase and play some tunes" attitude. It's not a sophisticated, champaign drinking with your pinkie out sound, but rather a ruf-n-tuff shot of Jack, chased with a beer kind of sound.

I hope it can still be fixed. If I'm lucky, it just needs a good cleaning.

May 7, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, it's started acting up; mistracking and even coming to a halt (CD barely spinning). However, rather than take it back, I think I'm going to see about getting it repaired.

Nice. Gotta love that '80s Akai design. It's so Space 1999.

First off try opening it up and blowing the cobwebs out of the mech and maybe very gently clean the laser lens with a q-tip and some isopropyl.

Speaking as a bit of a collector of vintage CD players, the bad news is that there are just so many possible things to go wrong and parts support from major Japanese brands is nonexistent.

However I feel your pain. Many of these older machines just sound so damned musical compared to the bland airbrushed digital of today.

The good news is that they were not mass market products like todays supermarket DVD players and if you or anyone you know is competant with electronics then they are possible to work on.
Your best bet is to look for another similar machine or try and identify the mechanism used. Akai were in their twilight as a sought after brand when this came out so you'll probably find it's a mixture of bought in parts from Aiwa, Yamaha, Matsu****a etc...

Going by your description of the sound I'd check to see if it has the famous Philips chipset which you can read more about here TDA1541

Users who are viewing this thread

Back