I need a 2nd pair of headphones
Sep 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

happyslug

New Head-Fier
So I always have 2 pairs of headphones on the go - one at work the other at home.

I listen to a lot of music at work through a laptop via Spotify or Groveshark

If I have a better pair they are at work.

My home headphones have just broken

Currently at work I have some AKG 451 - which I really like.

I need a new pair - if better than the AKG 451 they will be my work ones and the 451s come home.

My initial thought was to buy a 2nd pair of 451s

But what about the AKG Y40 - how do they compare?

Any other suggestions? I'm not averse to slightly bigger headphones for work

But I guess max price would be £100

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 7
If you like AKG, get an AKG K551.
That's in your price range and does everything very well.
It is a bit bigger and heavier than what you're used to though.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 7
+1 to Akg 550/551. Although 550/551 are full size cans and not as portable as your 451. If you need something similar size as 451, can consider V-moda XS. V-MODA XS is more coloured sounding than 451 or 550/551 though. It presents a different kind of sound than 451, with bass having more quantity due to it being a close back. Clarity and soundstaging is quite impressive for a small on-ear close backed headphones. It is more relaxing to listen to than 451, as it is not so fatiguing IMO (YMMV).

Do audition both if you get the chance.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Been using the K550 for a while and they are great for many genres (basically the same headphone as the 551's which are suited for on-the go use) 

The only problem is the light clamp force. If you have a big head it shouldn't be an issue :p

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the replies.

Should be buying something on pay day

I've checked out the AKG 550 so might go for those.

But what about the Grado SR80e - much the same price.

I know they leak sound as my boss has an old pair of SR60 I think - which do sound good.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Depends on your priorities.

AKG has better soundstage, isolation, neutrality, long-term comfort and bass - definitely closer to the true sound of the recording.
Grado has better excitement(?-subjective), electric guitar crunch/tone and livens up old 'flat' sounding recordings. 

Overall, the AKG does more things better.
If you want an open headphone, you're better off thinking about the Sennheiser HD598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back