I need help choosing the right one for the right use please, I looked everywhere!!!!
Oct 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FromSoftware

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.....

Before I go straight to the point i would like to say i searched everywhere for my question but somehow can't seem to find it and after hours and hours of research I always go to conclusion until i see downside or something that really put me off....

I listen to music a lot and a person that carries7200 songs in my ipod as music means alot to me and will be working in the studio following month's as i will need studio monitor headphones... , i listen to every genre of music and sometime's pick up FLAC audio files and do  hear every instrumental on my best ever kplisch x10i with the ipod classic but sadly my kplisch are in very bad condition the cables are week etc they will die eventually on me, I have been in the market for the last 5 months just choosing the right one as it's so confusing to pick up the perfect one, if it goes for loud speakers its definitely dynaudio or b&w :), I am looking for pair of in-ear monitors that i can use for ipod classic and in the studio..... I prefer high quality rather than boomy bassy headphones that i had thanks to the beats total crap!!!!

I have some headphones that i am interested in would highly appreciate it if you could help me choose the perfect one as i won't be able to hear it before i purchase them or take it back....
my budget was £400 until i saw the senniehser ie 800...

these are my top in ear headphones i was this close buying it...

High: Sony mdr-ex1000
High: Sennieser ie 80 or ie 800
High: Sennieser hd 25 if it's recommended i will go for it...
high: shure 535

Med: UE 900 
MED: PHANK AUDIO 232
Med: Sony- xba 4 

Low: B&W P7
Low: westone 4r 

Thank you very much for having the time to read my question and be able to help me out,, it means a lot am tired of going one and another...

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 18
I would say the shure se535 would be a good choice

Also the Sony xba-4 isn't worth the price of the extra woofer and the xba-3 would be a better value

Edit : also want to include that I used the XBA-2 which was pretty good which had the Full range and Woofer and with the Tweeter in the XBA-3 should just make it better.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 18
I will take your word's on that buddy :) for now it will be shure se535 but don't want to rush yet.  let's see if members can compare or advise other in-ear or on-ear headphone's as a lot of expect seem to be sleeping at this time in london..

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 18
On ear headphone buddy that I can use on the go but I wI'll take your advice on the share se535 as you are the only person that has replied to the thread I thought this is the place to go for advice seems everyone is ignoring it I didn't ask rocket science question

Then I would suggest the V-moda crossfade M-80 which is more neutral then the M-100 based on what I read. I have the M-100 ( little bit more bass but nothing that's overpowering) and absolutely love them but they are around the ear.

Though the M-100 is around the ear headphones I find the quite portable and I use them between home and work. They do fold up which gives it a small profile and goes in a small hard shell case

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 18
Have you considered the Etymotic ER4S? It is a most balanced headphone, and is thus perfectly suited for studio use. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 18
Having owned both the SE846 and SE535 I would suggest the 846. It has changeable filters to allow you to customize the sound you are looking for. Check out the threads here.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 18
Though I haven't had the chance to listen to the 846, I advise you to give them a shot. If they are too expensive, then the ER-4S ought to do. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Oh, and the Phonak PFE series offers changeable filters, too. Phonak has been dissolved, but there are still new units here and there. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 18
I own the Westone 4R. One thing you will notice is that it is very comfortable contrary to some reviews. My ears perfectly nestles the 4R. Further more the 4R flushes along your ears, that means you can listen to them while lying on your side. The memory wire is great in keeping the 4R in place, you can do vigorous exercise with the 4R and it will stay in your ears (although not recommended). The 4R excel in noise isolation, the included comply foam tips comes in different sizes and length, and they will all completely seal your ear canal and completely remove you from the outside world. 

Now sound wise, the 4R is a rather flat IEM, although I sometimes found an emphasis on the high treble. The 4R is all about detail and clarity, even though it has two dedicated bass driver, it is there not to satisfy the bass head but rather to improve accuracy. Any bass head in fact in my opinion should stay away from BA driven IEM because their need for bass will never be satisfied by them, why? This is because of the inherent nature of BA, they cannot move as much air as Dynamic Driver to give that "Thump!" Another area that the 4R excels in is instrument separation, this definitely comes from the 4 BA. When listening to any music you can feel as if you have a band or an orchestra in your ears, its very hard to describe until you try it yourself, the music is just ......... tangible. This would benefit greatly if the 4R had great air and sound imaging, however not, not many IEM can achieve this (air and imaging) in fact, but if it did you would feel as if you were in a concert hall. If you want that concert hall feel, only open full size headphone can serve you that. Apart form that, the 4R have great detail throughout the range, great treble extension, and last but not least, the reason I bought the Westone 4R (and I am not disappointed by it) how it is able to play any genre of music so well. The 4R is a genre master, jack of all trades. I, like you, carry thousands of music in my phone, and the 4R perform all of them splendidly with consistent throughout the genre. 

If you are looking for a BA driven IEM with flat response that can be used literally almost everywhere in a long period of time (because you won't experience treble fatigue with the 4R) with any music, I would definitely recommend the 4R.

If you are a bass head, looking for an airy, open, wide sound. Look away.

Hope this helps!
Handara

PS. Although not needed, the 4R will benefit from an amplifier. No need for expensive amp to improve the 4R, the Fiio E6 ($30) would be more than enough.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 18
If this were reddit, I'd give you an up vote.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 18
Thank you Spook76 and FatmanSize48 also Han2929 specially for explaining the pro's and con's behind BA drivers, I am bass head haha but i would sacrifice it for that beautiful sound clarity, everything has up's and down's but the 4r you mentioned has more up's, i am going to have a look into it....  thanks to everyone to cutting the list down to 3. It's really helped a lot :)

My top 3 for me decide will be:
Westone 4R
Etymotic ER45
and mostly shure 846, once I purchase one of them i will leave a nice review :)

for now thanks guy 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back