I need help making the AKG K702 comfortable
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Novirius

New Head-Fier
I recently purchase AKG K702 from B&H (Without the bumps on the headband), but I am struggling to use them for prolonged periods. After a while, it feels as if pressure builds under my ear/around my jaw. I am still in a position to return them and try something else, but I really like the sound signature and they were only $150 marked down from the retail $350. However, I need something I can use for multiple hours without discomfort.

Is this an issue that I can resolve with different pads? If so, which is the most comfortable pad available for the K702? If I have to return it, what would give me similar sound (I like the soundstage and accuracy more than "fun" headphones) at less than $200? I prefer something with a detachable cable and only one cable (Otherwise, I would just buy the 6xx).

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 31
I recently purchase AKG K702 from B&H (Without the bumps on the headband), but I am struggling to use them for prolonged periods. After a while, it feels as if pressure builds under my ear/around my jaw. I am still in a position to return them and try something else, but I really like the sound signature and they were only $150 marked down from the retail $350. However, I need something I can use for multiple hours without discomfort.

Is this an issue that I can resolve with different pads? If so, which is the most comfortable pad available for the K702? If I have to return it, what would give me similar sound (I like the soundstage and accuracy more than "fun" headphones) at less than $200? I prefer something with a detachable cable and only one cable (Otherwise, I would just buy the 6xx).

Get a box or stack of books wider than your head and put the headphone on that. Leave it there for a few days. This wiill reshape the plastic headband.

Note: this will wear out the earpads so if you can and are willing to buy earpads I say save your money and order the earpads until after the headband is reshaped since the original pads are around $45 each. Or buy some cheap third party earpads that don't even have that asymmetrical angled shape, put it on, and really stretch out that headband on something a bit wider for a week.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 31
The headband isn't plastic -- it uses wired suspension. Will stretching it out really help? Because I did that for 24hrs once and it ended up hurting even more.

Just to clarify I'm referring to the plastic frame above (red) that roughly approximates the normal headband and not what approximates the padding on a headband (blue).

HF_69.jpg

HF_70.jpg

Will stretching it out really help? Because I did that for 24hrs once and it ended up hurting even more.

It's like a leavened dough. Poke it and it comes back. I did say "days" and not "one day"/"24hrs" since you have to set it into that new shape without springing right back.

That said, keep in mind that reducing the pressure against the sides of your head (green) by stretching it out (red) you'll be puling the headband/headband padding down (orange), which might transfer the pain to the top of your head and why people with head sizes or 'fros sized beyond the rang AKG's engineers accounted for will find these painful to wear since they're at that lower limit that it can automatically adjust to.
HF_71.jpg

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 31
Oh ok, that does clarify it. I'll give it a try and hope for results. Have you tried different pads on this model? I was wondering if ZMF pads would help since they *look* comfy, but I have never tried them out of course.

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 31
Oh ok, that does clarify it. I'll give it a try and hope for results. Have you tried different pads on this model? I was wondering if ZMF pads would help since they *look* comfy, but I have never tried them out of course.

I don't own this particular model, but I have changed ear pads (to another non stock earpad) on my other headphones and they WILL change the sound signature of your headphone for sure.
It may be more comfortable with alternative pads, but it depends if you value comfort over another sound signature. YMMV.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 31
I don't own this particular model, but I have changed ear pads (to another non stock earpad) on my other headphones and they WILL change the sound signature of your headphone for sure.
It may be more comfortable with alternative pads, but it depends if you value comfort over another sound signature. YMMV.
If stretching doesn't help, I'll gladly take a slight change in sound signature for comfort. These pads look soft, but they're pretty stiff/robust.

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 31

When I was looking into the K702 no matter how much I liked them with a good amp, I didn't have one at the time, so I picked the HD600 since the sound tended to get louder but doesn't drastically change. It was worth getting an amp for, just that I didn't want to have to end up buying an amp deaf then paying international return shipping if it sucks on the K702 (or only buyng whatever anyone else down here had). Once I got to try the K702 withe Meier I bought, I almost wished I got the K702 (sound was similar but imaging was a lot better).

That said i got to try a K701 with the K601 earpads and they sucked, and that's not even a drastically different material density.

If anything just get the $20 replacement earpads on Amazon for stretching out the headband. Softening the pads helps a little bit but considering the price of new AKG pads if you're going to soften them might as well be from using them, either over breaking them in through use or softening them at a slower rate once the headband frame has been reshaped to sit wider (since the clamp force is also weaker).

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 31
Will do. How many days of stretching do you think will be enough of a test? I've ordered the AD700x and will return the the K702 if I am unable to get the fit I like (Assuming the AD700x does better).

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 31
It is possible that it could have more to do with the size of the earpads, instead of the headband. Do the earpads touch your jawline? if so then that is likely the cause.

That they do. I wanted earpads that are big enough to fit my entire ear since my ATH-TAD500s were touching the ear and causing irritation. If that is the cause, is there a way to have earpads that do not touch the ears, but also do not disrupt the jawline?

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 31
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a solution for this. You could see if you can adjust the suspension mechanism to stop the earpads from hanging so low. I can't really think of any other solution.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 31
So, I've put a dried rag under the headband and the pressure is MUCH more relieved on my jaw. I'm wondering what the implication of this is? It seems like a small cushion under the top will simultaneously solve the clamp issue (Yeah, odd I know).

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 31
So, I've put a dried rag under the headband and the pressure is MUCH more relieved on my jaw. I'm wondering what the implication of this is? It seems like a small cushion under the top will simultaneously solve the clamp issue (Yeah, odd I know).

Sounds like a clamp issue with too much force causing your discomfort. Well if your DIY method of the rag and cushions helps, that's a good solution without changing the earpads and making the sound signature different.

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 31
It is possible that it could have more to do with the size of the earpads, instead of the headband. Do the earpads touch your jawline? if so then that is likely the cause.

My HD600 has an oblong earpad that really goes down to the jaw and what solved it was relaxing the clamp due to the shape the headband took on inside the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back