I need recommendations for new IEMs, why do review websites contradict each other
Jun 18, 2020 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

noideahowishouldnameme

New Head-Fier
Maybe it is because they sold out to different manufacturers. So I am looking for new IEMs up to about €100 , or perhaps a little more. Since 100 bucks is quite a lot for a bit of plastc, rubber, copper and aluminum, but yet is concidered an entry level price in this forum, this might be the place to ask for genuine, high knowledge and experience based recommendations. Now, I already did a lot of research, first favoring the SoundMAGIC E80, then the Klipsch T5M wired, and here and there I've read good things about the HiFiMan RE-400. But, contradicting reviews and raitings lead me here, looking for advice. In my research I was looking for great allround in-ears, not just for music, also movies and games. I wanted them to have an unaltered, neutral and detailed sound. Also, having read the article "Describing Sound A Glossary", I want them to be spacious, dynamic, clear and rich. In the end, what are the best IEMs for my criteria? And are the 3 headphones I concidered while researching any good? If you can help me, thanks a lot for your answers in advance.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 4
What review sites? As soon as I see links to scamazon on any review site I close the browser tab. People here can help you a lot more since nobody is selling anything. If they are selling, it will be indicated on their post that they are "Member of the Trade."

I'm not an IEM guy but I am sure you will get help here. If you don't see answers after a while, post in the Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors forum.

Jun 18, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Maybe it is because they sold out to different manufacturers. So I am looking for new IEMs up to about €100 , or perhaps a little more. Since 100 bucks is quite a lot for a bit of plastc, rubber, copper and aluminum, but yet is concidered an entry level price in this forum, this might be the place to ask for genuine, high knowledge and experience based recommendations. Now, I already did a lot of research, first favoring the SoundMAGIC E80, then the Klipsch T5M wired, and here and there I've read good things about the HiFiMan RE-400. But, contradicting reviews and raitings lead me here, looking for advice. In my research I was looking for great allround in-ears, not just for music, also movies and games. I wanted them to have an unaltered, neutral and detailed sound. Also, having read the article "Describing Sound A Glossary", I want them to be spacious, dynamic, clear and rich. In the end, what are the best IEMs for my criteria? And are the 3 headphones I concidered while researching any good? If you can help me, thanks a lot for your answers in advance.

That's gonna be tough. We all hear a bit different due to anatomical differences.

Neutral and detailed would be something DF like Etymotic (ER2, ER3 or ER4). But not sure they will have the soundstage and spaciousness in sound you need for gaming.

The TinHifi T2 (not T2 plus, which is overly bright) comes to mind. The just released T2 plus also may work, but no real info on sound yet as they just started shipping. I haven't heard either yet. I just ordered the T2 plus as the regular T2 style isn't comfortable to me.

If you don't need isolation to block outside noise, you could try earbuds which have much better soundstage.

If you want some richness to the sound, you may want something not quite neutral but with a bit of warmth. What is the higher priority for you (music, movies or gaming)? Have you tried any IEM's to figure out what sound and sound signature you like (bass head, treble head, neutral, warm or cold)?

It's tough to have an all rounder. As movies/tv is probably better served with some bass for impact, and good mids for voices. Music can be dependent on both genre, personal preference and what is fatiguing (too much bass, treble or both). Gaming requires (at a guess) good soundstage and positioning, probably want to avoid too large a V or U signature so your game surroundings can be heard.

If you want to try a harman signature with a bit extra bass for cheap, you can pick up a mh750 for <10 off ebay. I got mine from the UK here: https://ebay.com/usr/zaxis1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back