I need some help recognizing some headphones from a video!
Feb 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 15
i was curious about what la dispute hears when recording and playing, to see how different it is from what i hear when i listen to them playing..

How do you know they use those headphones while recording or for any other performance?
biggrin.gif

Just so you know, most people buy the T50RP to mod it. It's very affordable. Also, many higher-end headphones (such as MrSpeakers Mad Dog, Alpha Dog, Alpha Prime, etc.) are just modded T50RPs!

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 15

How do you know they use those headphones while recording or for any other performance?
biggrin.gif

Just so you know, most people buy the T50RP to mod it. It's very affordable. Also, many higher-end headphones (such as MrSpeakers Mad Dog, Alpha Dog, Alpha Prime, etc.) are just modded T50RPs!

I dont't have any ideea, but my very intense passion for their music made me interested in what headphones they were wearing in that videoclip... it could also work like - the studio that did the recording had the headphones... 

well, after having ultrasone dj one pro, i am about to get signature dj and edition 5, i don't think that t50rp can actually be better..

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 15
  I dont't have any ideea, but my very intense passion for their music made me interested in what headphones they were wearing in that videoclip... it could also work like - the studio that did the recording had the headphones... 

well, after having ultrasone dj one pro, i am about to get signature dj and edition 5, i don't think that t50rp can actually be better..

I doubt the recording studio used it.

You're getting the Edition 5? Some people told me its sound quality isn't better than any $700 headphone...

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 15

I doubt the recording studio used it.

You're getting the Edition 5? Some people told me its sound quality isn't better than any $700 headphone...

edition 5 unlimited is the best closed back that is not heavy headphone i can get... it seems the only path of upgrade from signature dj. they cost around 2000$ or less from where i buy new..

if they can keep up with hd800 it is enough for me. i cannot listen to open back headphones, so i searched for what is the top for closed back... if you have any other recommandation, i am all ears!

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 15
  edition 5 unlimited is the best closed back that is not heavy headphone i can get... it seems the only path of upgrade from signature dj. they cost around 2000$ or less from where i buy new..

if they can keep up with hd800 it is enough for me. i cannot listen to open back headphones, so i searched for what is the top for closed back... if you have any other recommandation, i am all ears!

lol. And how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Everyone I talked to who compared it to the competition told me that it has mediocre sound quality.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 15
  Well, after i was unable to fiind another closed back headphone that is a flagship and is not heavy heavy heavy, i thought that edition 5 unlimited should be just the perfect match,.. i also love ultrasone sound in general...

I just don't want you to waste your money when you could get a better-sounding headphone for much cheaper. Did you try the Fostex TH-900?

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 15

I just don't want you to waste your money when you could get a better-sounding headphone for much cheaper. Did you try the Fostex TH-900?

they are heavy.. edition 5 and signature dj are both around 300 grams, which barely produces any neck strain... th-900 are around 400 grams, which are pretty heavy.. well, this and the  sound signature, after a lot of investigation does not have the treble that ultrasone has... if you had not listened to any ultrasone, to put it in a few words, if you have been in a room with a drummer, while hitting cymbals, the ultrasone house sound is the one that comes closest to that... i mean, every but of treble, has such a nice extension, and is so clear, and it is louder than the rest of the spectrum... and ultrasone also has a lot of bass...

from what i read, th900 has nice bass but not that much treble, they are kind of lacking... i have not heared them, but have nowhere to test them..

i am very greatefull for your consideration!

if you know any closed back headphone that is a flagship and is really worth it's money, i am an open person, and i like to read about new stuff!

to put it in another way, the only closed back that i can buy and listen are ultrasone. anything else is not alvaible in Romania... Are there any closed back that are great?

I live with my wife, and she listens to something else, say something like she does not really enjoy bands like rings of saturn, or technical death or black... and this is why i need to buy something that is not only closed back, but leaks as less as possible...

The headphones that la dispute use are semi open as i understand, so that is not an option..

thanks for all the help, again!

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 15

Don't get me wrong. If you've heard it and like it, that's all that matters. But the Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited is $2,600. The STAX SR-009 can be imported from Japan for less than $300 more than that! (Though it also requires a high-end amp and is open-back and not portable at all, but I'm just saying.) Your requirement of lower weight restricts your choices. Although it's not as lightweight as you would like, the Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back is worth looking into once it's released. The design of some heavier headphones can make them feel lighter while being worn.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 15
If i put the price of what it is going to cost me, and considering that i might get some bonus, o think that buying ultrasone edition 5 unlimited + chord hugo costs as much as buying  Stax sr-007MKII with either SRM007tII or SRM727II... 

but i really need a good closed back without leaking much sound. this restricts me from buying the headphones that i considered the best price/performance ratio, hd800. 

i don't think that edition 5 unlimited are going to sound 2Xbetter than hd800, even though this is about what they cost [sennheiser is way cheaper in europe most of times][specially if you can buy from germany]

i actually think that edition 5 are going to be on the edge of being at the same level with hd800, which is just fine with me.. that is about how high i was aiming anyways... 

I wanted to get something else, but after all of my research most of competition with closed back either leaks much sound, either has a less proeminent treble, or either has problems with weight... Edition 8 are a no way for me because the cups are smaller, and i have pretty big ears.. fostex is known to not be treble proeminent, and i listened to audeze xc closed back, it was lacking treble, and it was way heavier than i would bother to wear for 3-4 hours a day.. the new audeze seems like something, but need power, which i don't think that even hugo is capable of putting..

i had searched before, and i am still searching... 

if you happen to fiind some that are better, again, thanks, and thank you for all the help so far!

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 15

i don't think that edition 5 unlimited are going to sound 2Xbetter than hd800, even though this is about what they cost [sennheiser is way cheaper in europe most of times][specially if you can buy from germany]

i actually think that edition 5 are going to be on the edge of being at the same level with hd800, which is just fine with me.. that is about how high i was aiming anyways... 

No idea where you got the idea that the ED5 is anywhere near the HD 800's league...

the new audeze seems like something, but need power, which i don't think that even hugo is capable of putting..

Not true at all. The EL-8 can be driven from any portable device, without even requiring an amp.

I think you should compare the Edition 5 and Signature PRO back to back, since you like Ultrasone so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back