I need some help setting up my DT 990 pro 250ohm with Z87 G43 gaming MB
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rock1m1

New Head-Fier
I just got it today, it is my first studio grade headset so I am quite clueless in how to properly set it up. I have the MSI Z87 G43 Gaming Motherboard - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G43-GAMING.html

Which is said to have support for up to 600ohm headset. Now, I connected my headset to the front headset jack on my PC, I can hardly hear anything, not only that, the left and right channels are outputting the same sound. 

I then tried connecting on the back, it is much better. I thought this motherboard's amp was built in the frontside, anyone with this motherboard or lineup help me out with this?

And finally, most of my audio sounds low with maximum increased volume, and i never knew this headset has no build in volume controls like all other headsets I have used. Anyway to increase the volume too?

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 9
Have you updated to the latest software for your Realtek ALC1150 on-board audio?
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z87-G43-GAMING.html#down-driver&Win8.1%2064

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 9
I managed to get it working, it sounds much better now. Apparently it really doesn't matter which front panel port you use (audio out or mic), you just have to select that this audio device I am connecting right now is my headset. I also tried connecting to my 'mic' jack on my front panel but selected headset, it still works. I never knew that. 

However the problem is, the sound still sounds empty or weak most the time, unless I use the Creative soundblaster cinema which I guess is a bunch of equalizer settings and software tricks. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the most out of my headset? I mainly use it on my PC.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 9
You can get a Dragonfly from Audioquest that will make a huge difference. Plug and play that is also a DAC. And it is portable so you can use it with a laptop. Give it a try. You can always return it. It is $150 on Amazon. Make sure to get version 1.2. Note that it does not have controls like a sound card.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 9
I have also the MSI Z87 G43 Gaming Motherboard and JVC HA-SZ2000 16Ohm. I'm not happy with ONBOARD AMP but the Creative soundblaster cinema software is pretty good.
DT 990 pro 250ohm are not easy to drive so you will not be happy until you buy a headphone amp. And then everything will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back