I own this DAC , do i need an amp
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kh3naz

New Head-Fier
Hi there ,

I currently own this DAC along with a pair of he-300

I plan on buying another pair of headphones such as the he-500 or something else that will probably be harder to drive

My question is , DACs are probably all different , but i have a feeling mine has good amplification , the only thing the website mentions about this DAC is "2 high power 1/4" headphone outputs" , are they already amped enough , they seem pretty loud at 30% volume , or will i definitely need an amp no matter what DAC i own

Thanks !

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for replying ,

I just did some more digging around and came across this :

Maximum Output Level : Headphone: 350mW/channel @ 50Ω

Is any of you able to give me an idea of how much power this is

Thank you so much

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 6
  Thank you for replying ,

I just did some more digging around and came across this :

Maximum Output Level : Headphone: 350mW/channel @ 50Ω

Is any of you able to give me an idea of how much power this is

Thank you so much

It's still not clear enough. "Maximum" can mean peak short-term (ie, bursts for peaks in the music) or the maximum continuous output. If it's the first, then maybe it makes 175mW at 50ohms, hopefully at 0.1% distortion or less. We also don't know if it's better at current or voltage, and I think the HE-500 can use plenty of both. That might be loud for a dynamic driver HE-300 but we won't really know how it does with a planar magnetic HE-500.

That said if you can afford an amp and the HE-500, then the worst that can happen is that you need to buy an amp, so if you really plan on getting that headphone on top of what you have, I'd say go with it. If you think there's something lacking in the sound then check back in here. Mind you a lot of people won't hear the difference between a clean enough (not necessarily fantastic) Class A/B amp and, say, a good Class A amp in terms of finesse and PRAT; some will even note that the Class A amp isn't as good (because chances are it has less output power).

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 6
Great, thanks

I'm not sure what i'm going to do , my girlfriend dropped the he-300 and the magnet popped out and teared the diaphragm , i managed to patch it temporarily but i still hear a very slight buzz at certain frequencies, noticeable during a frequency sweep , it's fine right now but i'm sure it will only get worse. Anyways i wanted to get an upgrade but this might end up costing a lot with an amp , i have a lot of reading to do on these forums !

Best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back