I think I broke my DT770/80's
Dec 26, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ZenFountain

Head-Fier
The right hand driver is breaking up on the lower extensions @ volume...i'm not an expert but it sounds like it's on its last leg before total failure. this is after only two months of heavy use...already emailed Beyer but i'm curious if anyone knows what kind of damage this is gona do to my wallet to fix. I felt like these cans were just hitting their stride too
rolleyes.gif
. Is it possible I overdrove them? I don't ever listen at ludicrus levels but I do like to listen to loud, powerful, bass heavy music when I working for extended periods of time.

dunno
basshead.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 8
i thought i did that to my dt990s when they started rattling and distorting on heavy bass passages at high volumes. i listen to some seriously bassy rap (and my brother listens to that at very high volumes). but i found out the distortion from just my amp clipping and my soundcard volume output was set too high. after i got a good power supply for my amp, the beyers never distorted even at dangerously loud volumes unless there's a LOT of bass.

even then they haven't blown or been damaged so i'm sure you can't destroy these by volumes even close to listening levels.

basically you'd have to go way about the hearing threshold to blow the drivers or cause other damage. check your source/amp, it's more likely those are the roots of this problem. i doubt it's your 770s (which are known to handle more bass than the 990s)

Dec 26, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

i'm not an expert but it sounds like it's on its last leg before total failure

Care to describe what you are hearing?

Could be hairs.
Could be bad equipment.
Could be the headphone driver is actually broke.

Without more info, I can't say which is the case.

Hope you don't listen to those puppies too loud....... your poor ears ~_~.

Dec 26, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 8
it sounds like there is some external vibration or shaking in the right housing. don't know how to describe it in terms other than the sound a crummy sub makes when it's overdriven...except I can heard this even at low volume. I thought I could hear something developing over the past couple weeks but passed it off as imagination. I just had 5 day vacation, did a fresh install of my operating system and sound card drivers that were having issues and now the distortion is crystal clear.

Dec 26, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 8
well, I guess the best thing to do, is try and remove any hairs that you possibly can. Sometimes hairs vibrate on the driver with bass... and it makes this sound as if the grill's were loose or something.

If you plug other headphones / speakers into the equipment, does it do the same thing? If not, you've limited it to the headphones.

If you are able to remove all the hairs and it still does it, then try and have beyer fix them.

Dec 26, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 8
I wouldn't bet any money but I'd say its the hair. I have had this happen numerous times... with my koss ksc-35 and Beyer 770 - all of a sudden pretty loud distortion in one of the phones. Just take off the pads and remove any hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back