I think my 860's down the drain...
Aug 9, 2001 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Neruda

Banned Moderator
the static from the headphone jack is starting to get bad. I've been noticing it for months, but I thought it might be my grados. However, after using my grados through several other sources successfully, I'm starting to think it's the panasonic. It really pains me too, because I absolutely love this CD player. Besides, I can't afford a replacement right now!
frown.gif

Anyway, just wanted some other people to help me through this difficult period...have I been blasting the amp too much? dropping it too many times? Maybe there was something I could have done...(no, don't talk to yourself that way neruda! It was inevitable, you knew that!)

well, I'm insane too, but that's beside the point.

Listening to pink floyd right now, and it's really breaking up on the tom hits. life sucks.
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 38
If you dropped it at ALL, then you're probably looking at the reason already right there. My own Sony D-465 is now 6 years old, and hasn't been dropped once since day one. And it's still churning out music at a lovely 10mw like day one.

Maybe you could go onto Ebay and nab one of those broken player, good for nothing but parts auctions, and gut a headphone jack out of those busted players? Those auctions tend to go for no more then $10...something to consider.

Aug 9, 2001 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 38
Neruda: I wouldn't worry about your cd players amp getting damaged from playing it too loud, most likely your headphone jack is loose from dropping it too much. Try not dropping your next player :)

You could maybe take Vertigos advice and get a parts machine. The only problem with that is your player needs a new headphone jack and a laser probably and any other player that is broken probably also needs either a headphone jack or a laser. So some of the parts would be useless to you.

I went to Future Shop and looked at their open box (used) selection of cd players and they had one like mine (Sony D-E446CK) for $60 Can. (about $30 US) so I picked it up and it works good. Now I'm putting my old one in storage for spare parts. The headphone jack is still good and tight in it and I'll have a bunch of spare parts. I'm not dropping the new player at all. I mean it this time.

btw Vertigo your D-465 should be 15mwx2.

Aug 9, 2001 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 38
I don't know vert, the problem is I don't think I'm good enough with electronics to make the switch. All the electronics on this thing are on one section of PC board, which means I can't simply make a quick switch of the headphone amp. I don't even know which parts are which on that thing. I guess I'll have to get a cheap alternative until I can replace it with a really good portable.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 38
Neruda - that SUCKS. big time - i feel your pain....and I can relate to not havin the money.....whenz YOUR b-day?
wink.gif

For a cheap alternative - go get the Lennox...beatiful sounding, powerful amp - you may not need to replace it....

Aug 9, 2001 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 38
that's exactly what I was thinking coolvij. A lenoxx might not be a bad short-term (maybe long term) replacement for my panasonic. I would like to get a 20 gig mp3 player at some point (either the treo or the pjb depending on which is better), but that's off in the distance.

And my birthday is four days before christmas. sucks big time. have to wait an entire year before I get money or presents or anything.
mad.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 38
EEP! Thatz almost as bad as a Thanksgiving birthday, like me ("I came to see you all the way from _____, isn't that enough?!").

So Stick with the Lennox...

Aug 9, 2001 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 38
interestingly, when I use my ex70's I don't hear as much static. I guess my grados are more sensitive.

Aug 10, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 38
This is just a shot in the dark, but often that static is the result of poor power supply. Are you using a wall wart? If so, try a different one. Or if you're using batteries, try cleaning the terminals.

That likely isn't your problem, but it might be.

Aug 10, 2001 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 38
I'm using batteries, but I'll try that. thanks

and this might not make a difference, but the static almost always comes very low frequencies and very high frequencies. Does that mean anything?

Aug 10, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 38
Maybe try opening it up and spraying electronic contact cleaner in the headphone jack, I did that with my Sony when I took it apart to grease the laser rail and clean the lens and stuff. Of course I wasn't having any problems with my headphone jack so it sounded the same after, might wanna give it a try though.

Aug 13, 2001 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 38
Sorry about not getting back to you. I was typing it out and I got kicked off the net cause someone needed the phone. Anyways I found this bottle of silicone lubricant downstairs and the description seemed to fit my purpose. It says something like "for lubrication of sliding plastic, metal etc. parts" since the laser rail is sliding metal pieces I decided it should work so I took apart the cd player and sprayed some in. When I put it back together and tried it out it the parts inside sounded a lot healthier. The laser moved faster and sounded like it didn't have as much friction. I think this stuff would probably fix a problem with the laser sticking. Mine never got stuck it just sounded like it would.

btw it's not a very thick lubricant and when I was spraying it some got on the headphone jack and when I was plugging in a set of cans later on I noticed the headphone jack felt smoother. Less friction in there could make the jack last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back