I want Spend 1000U$S
Nov 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

atistatic

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, How are you, im for joining almost "High End" Headphones the story is going like that, I have as DAC a Xonar ST + LD MK IV SE, i know this is a poor source for a High End but worht it spend 1000 U$S in Headphones if is so, i had in my mind HE-500, GS1, GS1ki, or Alessandro MS pro. Or may you want suggest save 1k more of dollar and get a better amplifier too?

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 16
did you check the Koss 950 thread...

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 16
worth more than get a he-500?

I think the he-500 is a good choice, it's very versatile. You might also want to look into getting a better dac

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
like which?

Kingrex UD384  goes around $500 if you want to stretch your budget a little.  Gives you the future option of adding the UPower pack for cleaner sound.

UD384 also sets you up for 32bit/384khz files (if you feel so inclined to try it) and DFF SACD.  It can also double as a USB to Coax transport if you decide to add a better DAC in the future.

Alot of great 'future-proofing' features for $500/

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 16
This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I would drop the full $1,000 on a pair of Audez'e LCD-2's.  I got mine a year ago, and they're simply the best sounding headphones I've ever heard.  Bass you can feel, voices that sound like they're right there with you, and treble detail that's comparable with other flagship phones (if only a hair softer).

I say this might be unpopular, because you'd have $1,000 phones and no $1,000 amp, but I power mine with a Schiit Asgard and they're still astounding.  Hell, I've plugged them right into my laptop (with an adapter) and they sound almost exactly the same.  Will they get better with a summit-fi amp?  Of course.  Do you need one right away for these to sound truly awesome?  Not in the slightest.

Plus they're sexy as all get up.

And they measure way better than HE-500's (Distortion-wise, FR's are pretty similar).

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I would drop the full $1,000 on a pair of Audez'e LCD-2's.  I got mine a year ago, and they're simply the best sounding headphones I've ever heard.  Bass you can feel, voices that sound like they're right there with you, and treble detail that's comparable with other flagship phones (if only a hair softer).

I say this might be unpopular, because you'd have $1,000 phones and no $1,000 amp, but I power mine with a Schiit Asgard and they're still astounding.  Hell, I've plugged them right into my laptop (with an adapter) and they sound almost exactly the same.  Will they get better with a summit-fi amp?  Of course.  Do you need one right away for these to sound truly awesome?  Not in the slightest.

Plus they're sexy as all get up.

And they measure way better than HE-500's (Distortion-wise, FR's are pretty similar).

Sry but i think that it's a bad idea drive a any audeze without balanced amplifiers.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Sry but i think that it's a bad idea drive a any audeze without balanced amplifiers.

I drove an Audez'e out of an iPhone. It works! not very well though. I also tried the HD800 unamped too just for fun. It does... work.

An Audez'e really doesn't need to be driven balanced to sound good. If you don't mind a slightly darker sound signature, the LCD-2 is better than the HE-500 overall. HE-500 is more versatile though, being quite neutral. Seeing as you're going to spend 1k, I'd recommend the LCD-2 over the HE-500. An extra $300 on an amp isn't going to compensate for $300 less on a headphone. A tube amp probably will make the LCD-2 a little too dark though, so if you do buy an LCD-2 you might want to look for a nice SS amp. I'm personally very fond of the O2, although you might not consider it "high-end" enough. It certainly made the LCD-2 sing in my opinion. I don't own either so I can't say much more.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
from i see that lcd2 have xlr input

I'm assuming you mean the XLR plugs at each ear cup? That is only to make a convenient connection, it is then usually connected to a SE cable.

The Audeze's sound fantastic single ended. Lot's of debate regarding single ended vs balanced can be found here on HeadFi with no absolute answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back