I want to buy headphones specifically for a single song.
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Thanks --- and glad to hear someone else has the song AND the HE-400! 

What are you driving them with, btw?

Running my pair with a Matrix M-stage as mentioned in my sig. Awesome pairing. The song's awesome btw, playing it right now :)

I have a couple other similar style songs if you're interested.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 71
agreed. The amps people talk about as being synergistic with the HD800 start at around 2.5k just for the amp. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Running my pair with a Matrix M-stage as mentioned in my sig. Awesome pairing. The song's awesome btw, playing it right now :)

I have a couple other similar style songs if you're interested.

Nice... and yes, definitely interested! (I have several different albums of that genre btw, I love it)
An HD800 rig may be too expensive for you btw. To really make them sing you're looking at a rig probably north of 2.5K. This is with headphone, amp, dac, and possibly interconnects included.

So in order for the HD800 to sound better than the HE-400 I need to spend a couple grand?

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

Nice... and yes, definitely interested! (I have several different albums of that genre btw, I love it)
So in order for the HD800 to sound better than the HE-400 I need to spend a couple grand?

One song you could take a look at is Immortal by Thomas Bergersen.

As for your question, um not really. What I meant was that the HD800 to sound it's best really needs an investment, while the HE-400 to sound it's best doesn't need that much. The HD800 can sound thin and harsh if it's not amped well enough. I wouldn't recommend getting it then cheaping out on the upstream gear. But I wouldn't know how the HD800 poorly amped compares to the HE-400. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

One song you could take a look at is Immortal by Thomas Bergersen.

As for your question, um not really. What I meant was that the HD800 to sound it's best really needs an investment, while the HE-400 to sound it's best doesn't need that much. The HD800 can sound thin and harsh if it's not amped well enough. I wouldn't recommend getting it then cheaping out on the upstream gear. But I wouldn't know how the HD800 poorly amped compares to the HE-400. 

I have that song as well -- and love his other work too :)

So I am conflicted between the HE-400 and HD800 at this point.

Both are comfortable for several hours of listening at a time?

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 71
Quote:

Any lower tier phone will require less for its best, but I don't think you'd need a couple (maybe sub 1k to 2k would do). The he-400 seems to sound fine out of a magni n modi stack. I don't know why people constantly ask Will ____ have enough power to drive it? It's not stupidly inefficient as the HE-6. Then again the magni packs the punch for its size being stronger than the asgard.

If you're going to go for something like an hd800 would work with one of the meier corda lines (I think, although I'm not sure).

As for the bass, the hd700 seems to have more than the hd800. Although, some people have been saying that the later serial numbers like 30xxx for the hd800 has more bass. If you're going for the 800, you might consider colorware since the paint for the 800 chips easily. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #23 of 71
A good amp for the HD800 is a lot of money. That would be your best bet though. Also, the HE-6 on a speaker amp would work well. Consider the LCD-2 aswell. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 71
Great comments here, thanks all.

What if I said I wanted to use the Dragonfly as DAC & Amp, with a retina Macbook Pro, so that I could take the rig to the office?

The best choice of headphones then would be the HE-400? And the Dragonfly cannot power the HD700 sufficiently, right?

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 71
Quote:
Great comments here, thanks all.

What if I said I wanted to use the Dragonfly as DAC & Amp, with a retina Macbook Pro, so that I could take the rig to the office?

The best choice of headphones then would be the HE-400? And the Dragonfly cannot power the HD700 sufficiently, right?

yes, the dragonfly cannot power the hd700 (well it technically can be driven easily since it's sensitive at 105dB, but at 150 ohms, you'll need an amp to push voltage/current (forgot which one) to it) 
At that price, you can get the Schiit stack and drive the he-400's.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 71
Quote:
yes, the dragonfly cannot power the hd700 (well it technically can be driven easily since it's sensitive at 105dB, but at 150 ohms, you'll need an amp to push voltage/current (forgot which one) to it) 
At that price, you can get the Schiit stack and drive the he-400's.

Ok so sounds like the HD700 as "portable" in any sense of the word is... somewhat out of the question.

I have researched the Schiit stuff, magni/modi, and they are pretty small and could be moved from home to office, but on a daily basis? Prolly not optimal. 

Leaning more and more towards HE-400+Dragonfly now.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #27 of 71
Quote:
Ok so sounds like the HD700 as "portable" in any sense of the word is... somewhat out of the question.

I have researched the Schiit stuff, magni/modi, and they are pretty small and could be moved from home to office, but on a daily basis? Prolly not optimal. 

Leaning more and more towards HE-400+Dragonfly now.

yes, I wouldn't say the hd700 is portable unless you're willing to spend a bit more on portable rigs. For example, ray samuel's SR-71b w/ AlgoRythm solo. The Sony PHA-1 juts came out, but I'm not sure how it'd do. So far, everyone seems to like it though.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 71
Quote:
yes, I wouldn't say the hd700 is portable unless you're willing to spend a bit more on portable rigs. For example, ray samuel's SR-71b w/ AlgoRythm solo. The Sony PHA-1 juts came out, but I'm not sure how it'd do. So far, everyone seems to like it though.

That PHA-1 is interesting indeed. Seems very nice, and quite portable.

Tried to see if anyone had a review of it with the HD700s and came up with nothing.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #29 of 71
Quote:
That PHA-1 is interesting indeed. Seems very nice, and quite portable.

Tried to see if anyone had a review of it with the HD700s and came up with nothing.

relatively new n I don't think many people have both lol. Did the same with the amperior and MDR-1R for comparisons when they were both fairly new.

Hope your other questions got answered soon!

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:
relatively new n I don't think many people have both lol. Did the same with the amperior and MDR-1R for comparisons when they were both fairly new.

Hope your other questions got answered soon!

Oh I think so far the answers have been spot-on and very helpful. Would like to chase down that HD700+PHA-1 now though, just in case.

This whole audiophile business just takes a lot of time to research eh? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back