I would like some input on a good pair of portable IEM or Headphones ($125-150, $200 max if worth it)
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

50SEVEN

New Head-Fier
Hello, 
I am currently in the market to buy a pair of portable headphones. I've been using my Sennheiser HD600 on the go, and as you can imaging, that's not working out to well. I need something that can be powered by an MP3 player or phone without the use of a portable amp. I have a budget of $150, however I will go to $200 if the extra $50 is worth it! I have been looking at headphones for awhile and have made a basic list of 2 headphones and 1 IEM. 
My music interest change depending on my surroundings, it varies across all genres. I tend to listen to more rock, dubstep, hip-hop, EDM, etc. while I'm on the go, so I am looking for a good bass. Of course I don't want it to be just bass, as is the case with many headphones (I.E. Beats). I don't want a muddied sound, or a flat sound. 
Any suggestions, tips, or comments are well received and anticipated. Thank you for any help!
Here are what I am currently looking at:
1. Sennheiser HD25-1 ii ($199.99)
At the highest end of the budget, I feel it is worth it. These headphones have earned an amazing reputation and have been consistently highly recommended for the past 25 years. Since these headphones are available at Best Buy, I can use a $25 gift card lowering the price. Another added perk, from what I've read, is that the cable used is the same connection as the HD600, this means if one of the cables breaks on either pair, that pair won't be completely useless until I get a new cable.
2. Sennheiser CX 985 ($159.99)
I ave only been able to find two reviews on these recently released (September) IEMs. From what I have read though, they have a good overall sound and seal. I am a little weary of buying an IEM as I ave never really had much luck with them, then again I've mostly used lower end IEMs. 
3. AKG K67 ($99.99)
The cheapest on the list, I have not been able to find a single review on them. However, AKG is a respectable brand, and since they were designed with Tiesto's music in mind, I would assume they have great bass without sacrificing the highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back