iBasso CF01 (Cable Free), BT MMCX adapter for any MMCX IEM.
Aug 5, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 209
I have tested the CF01 today.
First thing: I think the built and form factor is the best out of all similar devices, including the Fostex. iBasso nailed it here imo.
The angle and softness of the cable, the size and shape of the modules is much better with the iBasso, it fits really well. And also looks great - the silver color of the BT modules gives a nice contrast to the IEMs and separates itself - so it looks less bulky imo.
Just the case felt and looked a bit cheap imo, it was practical though.
As for sound: Seemed to be dead quiet - no hiss present as in some comparable devices. Sound was flat and neutral to my ears.
Compared to my Btr5 I must say I still prefer the latter a bit to be honest. It sounds a bit more dynamic with slightly stronger bass and more extended highs than iBasso. But maybe others might prefer the (less colored?) signature of the CF01.

All in all a great device! I hope these types of devices get developed further and also get even a little smaller!

Btw. is there an app planned for the device that includes EQ, ambient mode etc?
There are chips and the opamp in the CF01 so I found with burn-in, that it opens up more and get more solid in bass and highs get very good. I have used it with my JH Pro13 freq phase, and I can really hear the extension with the CF01 (I use a nice little MMCX to 2 pin adapter that works great). With the adapter the lay of the cable from the CF01 and the fit, is just about perfect, so no disadvantage with the angled adapter I use. Sound has stepped up with the JH 13 Pro, so there doesn't seem to be a limiting sound factor on the CF01.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #17 of 209
Mine have just turned up - I'm pairing them with the iBasso IT00 currently. Detailed written reviews will follow shortly but please feel free to ask questions. First impressions? Awesome!

20200805_155143.jpg
I have tested the CF01 today.
First thing: I think the built and form factor is the best out of all similar devices, including the Fostex. iBasso nailed it here imo.
The angle and softness of the cable, the size and shape of the modules is much better with the iBasso, it fits really well. And also looks great - the silver color of the BT modules gives a nice contrast to the IEMs and separates itself - so it looks less bulky imo.
Just the case felt and looked a bit cheap imo, it was practical though.
As for sound: Seemed to be dead quiet - no hiss present as in some comparable devices. Sound was flat and neutral to my ears.
Compared to my Btr5 I must say I still prefer the latter a bit to be honest. It sounds a bit more dynamic with slightly stronger bass and more extended highs than iBasso. But maybe others might prefer the (less colored?) signature of the CF01.

All in all a great device! I hope these types of devices get developed further and also get even a little smaller!

Btw. is there an app planned for the device that includes EQ, ambient mode etc?

Does the cable have a hard/spring wire in it or is it just a soft heatshrink shaped ear hook?

@Hanesu
Did you try a high sensitivity & low ohm IEM to check for hiss? (Model used wasn't mentioned so not sure).

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #18 of 209
Does the cable have a hard/spring wire in it or is it just a soft heatshrink shaped ear hook?

@Hanesu
Did you try a high sensitivity & low ohm IEM to check for hiss? (Model used wasn't mentioned so not sure).
The ear piece is soft but formed, a type of heat shrink. the shape stays but it is comfortable and pliable.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #19 of 209

@Hanesu

I have used the iBasso IT04 with it. It’s maybe not the most hiss sensitive IEM ever, but actually it shows quite a bit of hiss with my Hifiman R2R2000 for example, and was also slightly hissing with Fostex TM2.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #20 of 209
Sound has stepped up with the JH 13 Pro, so there doesn't seem to be a limiting sound factor on the CF01.

Stepped up in comparison to which other source?

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #21 of 209
Aug 5, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 209
I don’t think this will replace my TWS set but this probably slams with the IT00

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 209
Where can I buy this in the US? There is a listing on Amazon.uk, but it says unavailable. It’s not even listed to buy on iBasso’s website :frowning2:

Also, Paul what is the output impedance of the adapter? Thanks

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 209
Just got a review unit of the IBasso CF01.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-08 at 14.49.53.jpeg

Superb sound quality, used it for 30 min so far with good connectivity, I tried it with the NiceHCK M6, BLON Cardinal, some Westones and the Audiosense T800. Didn't really feel like I was missing a cabled connection, with good headroom. I like that the sound is neutralish without colouring the frequency spectrum. And the provided charging case can fit large IEMs inside, very ingeneous design. The CF04 earhook is comfortable and ergonomic too. Will do further testing.

Edit: it does hiss with some highly sensitive IEMs, but when music starts playing the hiss is not too apparent.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #27 of 209
Mild hiss or loud hiss? My Westones hiss fairly loud with the BT20S.

I would say mild to moderate hiss, especially if the sensitivity of your IEM is on the higher side. My BT20S died a month or so back, so I'm not able to compare directly, but BT20S was quite hissy yes.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 209
is there any comparison-impression between the fiio Utws1 and this?

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 209
I had a lot of fun testing and pairing CF01 with different IEMs. Here is my full review, for those who are interested. And this particular CF01/IT00 pair up is permanently on :)

ibasso_cf01-x16.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back