iBasso P3 Opamp Rolling Thread *Let the rolling begin!
Nov 2, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #32 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my p3 is yet to arrive on thursday.... so, what opamp is used by default (new p3), and how's the SQ? do i need some soldering iron or other stuff in changing the op-amps?

You need the T-6 torx bit, (one is now included, IIRC) and something to hold the opamp adapter with, such as tweezers, hemostat, etc. No soldering required. You MUST be very careful to observe correct polarity, or goodby opamp. iBasso has included very detailed diagrams to prevent such boo-boos.

Mine came with the AD797s installed and the dummy buffers installed, as I recall.

Many different opamps will work well in the P3, all of which very slightly change the response and soundstage.

I would suggest listening to the stock setup for awhile to familiarize yourself with the sound prior to changing opamps.
Write down each combo and your impressions, as you will be unable to remember all of them.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #33 of 122
HiFlight

Thanks.... of all the combos with the included op-amps, what do you prefer and what headphone are you using with the said combo? i have no plan of buying any other op-amps thats why im asking... and if there's a combo (included op-amps) suited for IEM in general (low gain+longer battery+good soundstage-to compnsate IEM's natural weakness)what it will be?

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #35 of 122
Oh snap, I ordered my P3 on Friday, and it arrived this afternoon. Seems that DHL shipping from China to Vancouver only takes a couple days (from previous experience as well).

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 122
berniebennybernard

i still dont have mine.... hope its gonna be here this afternoon or tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #37 of 122
Just wondering, but when you guys say gain, is it like a switch somewhere in the board or do you mean the volume?

EDIT: Nevermind, looked closer and there's a jumper for it.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #38 of 122
i was also to ask same question but im still waitin for my unit to come to see if theres a knob, buton, or lever switch for this like most of portable amp...

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #39 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After further testing and trials, I have yet to find a better sounding P3 combination than that mentioned in the previous post. AD8066/LMH6643!

Those are aftermarket OPAMPs I assume? May I ask where you got them?

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #40 of 122
After countless hours of opamp rolling and testing various and sundry combinations, I finally happened across a combination that , at least to my ears, surpasses the overall SQ of the D3.

The soundstage is a bit wider and the overall sound a little warmer, but very lifelike with all genres of music I tried. Vocals and solo instruments are very 3-dimensional, a trait that many felt the D3 excelled in.

The good news is that this combination sounds better than anything else I have tried...the bad news is that the new combo includes the nearly extinct AD743JN and battery life will likely be reduced.

For this latest and best combo, I am using the AD743 in LR sockets (it is a single-channel opamp) the iBasso dummy opamps in the buffer sockets, and the LMH6655 in ground socket.

Cost of the AD743 is now right up there with that of the OPA627, but at least it can be made available.

Now for a looonnng rest from playing with tiny chips!

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 122
Is the ground socket everyone talks about the 3/4 amplifier socket in the manual? (I'm new to rolling opamps (I did only get my P3 this afternoon, used a Penguin Caffeine Ultra prior)). And may I ask what the buffer sockets do? I asked a friend who's into sound stuff and he has never heard of it.

Also, what version of the LMH6655 do you have? I'm looking online and there seems to be several versions of them.

EDIT: Lastly, when I get my op-amps, will they be ready to be inserted or do I have to solder them to the dummy ones that come with the amp?

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #42 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the ground socket everyone talks about the 3/4 amplifier socket in the manual? (I'm new to rolling opamps (I did only get my P3 this afternoon, used a Penguin Caffeine Ultra prior)). And may I ask what the buffer sockets do? I asked a friend who's into sound stuff and he has never heard of it.

Also, what version of the LMH6655 do you have? I'm looking online and there seems to be several versions of them.

EDIT: Lastly, when I get my op-amps, will they be ready to be inserted or do I have to solder them to the dummy ones that come with the amp?

Yes, the ground channel is the 3/4 channel mentioned in the instruction sheet. This opamp used in this location effectively separates the ground channels from one another.

A buffer referred to in amplifiers is a device such as an opamp or transistor that matches impedances from one amp stage to another. They can be unity gain but usually are capable of producing additional current than the preceding stage alone can provide.

Sometimes, buffers are not required as the various circuit impedances match satisfactorily without the necessity for a buffer amp. In many cases, fewer components in the signal path can result in less coloration of the sound resulting from phase changes, capacitances, inductances, etc that are inherent in nearly all electrical components. Sometimes the changes are subtle, sometimes undectable, sometimes very noticeable.

Generally, if one uses low-impedance phones, the additional current provided by a buffer stage can be advantageous if one listens at high volume levels.

It doesn't make any difference what version of LMH6655 you choose, as long as it has an SOIC case style. Usually the last letters refer to packaging and this often determines the minimum order number. In DIP style opamps, the last letters often refer to temperature ranges in which the opamp can meet its design specs. I use LMH6655MA-ND.

The opamps that are provided by iBasso are already mounted on adapters and are "Plug & Play" They also include one set of dummy opamps for the buffers and one set of empty adapters that you can solder your own opamps on, if you like.

If you order your own opamps, you will need to also purchase SOIC to DIP adapters and solder the opamps to the adapter.
To give you an idea of the size of the soldering, it is like soldering the legs of a lady-bug to a circuit board, the opamps are about that size.

Any opamps I provide are mounted and ready to insert.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #43 of 122
Thanks for the information Ron, I appreciate it.

Lastly, does anyone have trouble fitting 6AAA batteries into their P3? I just got all of my AAA and they don't fit. I can fit max of 5.

EDIT: Nevermind, inserted the ends wrong!

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #44 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After countless hours of opamp rolling and testing various and sundry combinations, I finally happened across a combination that , at least to my ears, surpasses the overall SQ of the D3.

The soundstage is a bit wider and the overall sound a little warmer, but very lifelike with all genres of music I tried. Vocals and solo instruments are very 3-dimensional, a trait that many felt the D3 excelled in.

The good news is that this combination sounds better than anything else I have tried...the bad news is that the new combo includes the nearly extinct AD743JN and battery life will likely be reduced.

For this latest and best combo, I am using the AD743 in LR sockets (it is a single-channel opamp) the iBasso dummy opamps in the buffer sockets, and the LMH6655 in ground socket.

Cost of the AD743 is now right up there with that of the OPA627, but at least it can be made available.

Now for a looonnng rest from playing with tiny chips!

hi ron, i'm kinda new here... i wonder what gain-set do you use in your magnificent combo there? is it 3 or 10 ? and since the AD743 seems to be long gone here in indonesia, what substitute opamp do you recommend to -at least- reaching out the same star.... LOL... thx ron..
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #45 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by denging /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi ron, i'm kinda new here... i wonder what gain-set do you use in your magnificent combo there? is it 3 or 10 ? and since the AD743 seems to be long gone here in indonesia, what substitute opamp do you recommend to -at least- reaching out the same star.... LOL... thx ron..
biggrin.gif

I use a gain of 10 with the P3 "Topkit"

Yes, unfortunately the AD743JN is very difficult to find, as it has been discontinued and I have not been able to find a substitute. Fortunately, I acquired some of them when they were still in production.

For Head-Fi members who do not wish to solder, I can make the Topkit (2x AD743, 2x sockets, and (1) LMH6655)
available at essentially what it costs me to make them up.

I do not intend this to be a business enterprise, but rather a service to those members who wish to upgrade their P3 via "plug & play"

For additional information, please PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back