IE 80s very uncomfortable, looking for alternatives
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LordMegapants

New Head-Fier
I recently just got a pair of IE 80s hoping they'd be the perfect fit, unfortunately this is not the case. I've tried all the stock tips and none of them fix the problem entirely: the speaker itself is just too big, a lot bigger than any others I've tried.

The result is that they become very uncomfortable after an hour and my ears get sore. This is if I'm sitting completely still at my computer with no unnecessary head movements as well, if I'm walking around or just nodding it gets worse. The seal is very weird and plugs my ears badly, it's as if I'm on a plane during takeoff. They stay like that long after I've taken them out. It doesn't matter how carefully I put them in, and even then the tips aren't super long so they come out fairly easily (Wouldn't be a problem if I they were otherwise comfortable though). Also, probably due to the seal but the smallest movements/touching of the cord or earphone makes loud, deep rattling sounds that only make my ears sore faster.

And even on the actual sonic characteristics of the earphone I am not entirely pleased. Upon first listening I was not exactly blown away. From what I could gather these are often described as "bassy," but I don't really see how people call it that. After adjusting the little screws there was a subtle but noticeable difference, but I was still hoping for slightly more in the ~100 hz region. The bigger problem however is a spike in the lower treble range, around ~5k hz. My ears seem to be more sensitive than most in that 2-6khz area, and these IEMs do not help at all. I listen to a wide variety of genres, but specifically a lot of metal, which has more than enough guitar hiss to not need those frequencies accentuated further. If I listened exclusively to Jazz, Classical or even Electronica I'd be OK, but this isn't the case. If I want to hear the bass guitar I gotta turn it up some, but then right as I get to where I want it all I can hear now is the "SSSSZZZHSSSZ" of the guitars. Something like this is a "perfect" example of what I'm talking about. This is not poorly produced death metal from the early 90's, but the mix still really accentuates the spike of the headphones when you turn it up. And if you don't turn it up, again you don't have bass.

I'd like to clarify that if it weren't for that one problem area I'd be fine with the sound itself. I like the way the rest of the midrange and treble sits, it's perfect and things like choirs sound great, and the bass is more or less fine too (Though again I'd prefer a bit more subs). But for how much these cost I'm not putting up with a treble spike. And then of course there is the issue that with the way these things fit it makes using 20$ earphones a joyous experience.

So that's that, my token "review" of this poorly designed item. I've been using them a few days hoping that the issues would magically disappear, but nope none so far. I am definitely returning these which is why I come hear asking for some suggestions for something else. So far my research has not come up with anything. Something comfy for people without neanderthal ears that won't fall apart the day the warranty wears out, same or slightly more bass, and more recessed in that specific treble trouble area I have been talking about. Or, if this magical pair simply doesn't exist, the next best thing.

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 4
So from reading, I assume you want a smaller shell size, bassy (IE80 levels - which is to say a lot - you might not have gotten a seal due to the size problem), sibilance (5-6k spike is defined as sibilance), full mids (assuming from IE80 sig), and ~400 budget (assuming from IE80 as well, if I'm wrong here do correct me)?

Well, the size thing actually takes out a lot of the options for solid bassy sets like the CKS1000, FXZ200s, even the XBA-4 (though less inclined towards the latter).

With that (assumed) budget, you might want to actually start looking at CIEMs like the 1964Ears V3. One of the few demos I've heard at the price, so it's really an arbitrary recommendation, but the point still stands (probably looking at other units would be better :p).

Alternatively, if you don't mind a narrower, but deep insertion, the X10s would do just that and offer ample bass and mids, very very smooth treble. Perhaps the MTPCs as well if you don't mind a heavier shell (these are metal and built)

And of course - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-274-iems-compared-hifiman-re-400-added-03-14-13-p-650#post_6492044

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your response. I know it's usually frowned upon to start threads willy nilly, but having already researched on the subject for hours I'd like some more direct suggestions. Didn't see that first thread though.
Quote:
So from reading, I assume you want a smaller shell size, bassy (IE80 levels - which is to say a lot - you might not have gotten a seal due to the size problem), sibilance (5-6k spike is defined as sibilance), full mids (assuming from IE80 sig), and ~400 budget (assuming from IE80 as well, if I'm wrong here do correct me)?

This is pretty much spot on. I definitely get an airtight seal though, or else the pressure would not hurt my ears in the way it did. And my words shouldn't be construed as mean I want an outrageous amount of bass, but rather I was expecting something very slightly more. I really don't want anything much more bassy than the IE80, especially in the 100+ region as it would start to get very overpowering. Overall that area is pretty good. And maybe I am being needlessly specific but the spike was slightly lower than 5k, worst in the 4.5k range.

As for size, I didn't think it would be an issue as I haven't come across major problems before but if I've learned anything from the IE80s is that comfort is as important as the sound quality itself.  :)

I haven't looked very closely at customs, mainly because most seem to be too expensive for something that isn't likely to last much longer than 5 years, if that, and also the whole seeing an audiologist thing is a very big hassle. While something like the 1964 Ears is at an acceptable price other options are preferable.

The X10's look interesting and I will check them out in more detail when I have time tomorrow. As for the Monsters if I know anything about the company from their cables is that you are paying a lot for the name and the "quality" it supposedly implies. Also from what I've looked at their headphones so far is that no one says much about the mids or anything, which more often than not means they are scooped like the Dickens, and again I haven't seen much about them being "sibilance free" so far. And I must reiterate that I don't want something much more bassy than the IE80s, and even then it's only the subs that are lacking at all. Maybe I am mistaken about the Monsters though.

And one last thing I should mention is that I live in Canada, so on occasion there are issues with shipping certain things, specifically things from the States that are made in Europe.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks for your response. I know it's usually frowned upon to start threads willy nilly, but having already researched on the subject for hours I'd like some more direct suggestions. Didn't see that first thread though.
This is pretty much spot on. I definitely get an airtight seal though, or else the pressure would not hurt my ears in the way it did. And my words shouldn't be construed as mean I want an outrageous amount of bass, but rather I was expecting something very slightly more. I really don't want anything much more bassy than the IE80, especially in the 100+ region as it would start to get very overpowering. Overall that area is pretty good. And maybe I am being needlessly specific but the spike was slightly lower than 5k, worst in the 4.5k range.

As for size, I didn't think it would be an issue as I haven't come across major problems before but if I've learned anything from the IE80s is that comfort is as important as the sound quality itself.  :)

I haven't looked very closely at customs, mainly because most seem to be too expensive for something that isn't likely to last much longer than 5 years, if that, and also the whole seeing an audiologist thing is a very big hassle. While something like the 1964 Ears is at an acceptable price other options are preferable.

The X10's look interesting and I will check them out in more detail when I have time tomorrow. As for the Monsters if I know anything about the company from their cables is that you are paying a lot for the name and the "quality" it supposedly implies. Also from what I've looked at their headphones so far is that no one says much about the mids or anything, which more often than not means they are scooped like the Dickens, and again I haven't seen much about them being "sibilance free" so far. And I must reiterate that I don't want something much more bassy than the IE80s, and even then it's only the subs that are lacking at all. Maybe I am mistaken about the Monsters though.

And one last thing I should mention is that I live in Canada, so on occasion there are issues with shipping certain things, specifically things from the States that are made in Europe.

1) Overly tightness doesn't always imply perfect seal, for whatever reason. There is ample discussion on this on rinchoi's website for example, and the W4 appreciation thread from last time I read. But not to say you didn't hear them correctly or anything.

2) 5k, 4.5k, it's all the same in this case - you can find the sibiliance area through this http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

3) Oh, but for the most part customs last VERY long. Apart from driver failure (BA driver failure takes an extraordinary long time - ER4s have been going strong for 10-15 years), any cosmetic damage is remedied easily through a reshell (or not at all if it's not serious - it takes ridiculous force to pry open a custom, and can sometimes be even covered up by nail polish or otherwise), cables can always be replaced. Not to mention the plethora of cheaper choices from say, Cosmic Ears (~$200+), the constantly perfect fit. They are, for all it's worth, a significantly long-term investment.

4) Caution should be used against placing quick judgments against the Turbines. They are very much hailed as being well-performing around here. The exception to the rule, if I may. Bass levels are equal if not less at times on the Coppers. The mids are beautifully full and lush, actually a bit forward. Reading ljokerl's review might do much good (heck there are tons floating around the place)

5) I live in Canada as well. The Coppers on Amazon.com seem to be fine in this case, as well as the ones often for sale at Future Shop. I've known many local people who have ordered customs with absolutely no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back